Twitching while trying to sleep? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-13-2010, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm probably crossposting this in health & healing.

My DP is 27wks pregnant with twins. She is also working full time, so restful sleep is pretty critical to her survival right now. And she's not getting nearly enough.

She goes to bed at a decent time, but her whole body keeps twitching, keeping her awake. It's only when she's going to bed, and she says it feels like it's mostly in her legs. Her whole body jumps when it happens though. Most nights its "only" for an hour or so, but some nights it goes on for hours. She usually gets up if it goes on for more than an hour and walks around, reads a book, then tries again. She feels that that helps sometimes. The other night she got up and tried again twice, ending up going to bed around 2am. She gets up at 5am for work. It was not pretty. She has cut out all caffeine, but that didn't help, and we're out of ideas now.

Has anyone had this happen? Any suggestions for things she could do to help it? I'm really worried about her getting so little sleep when she can't make up for it during the day!

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#2 of 3 Old 09-13-2010, 08:48 AM

I am sorry to hear she is suffering like that. Lack of sleep while pregnant with twins is brutal. It sounds like restless leg syndrome, quite common in pregnancy actually. I have it, too. I am 17 weeks w twins. The things that help me are 1. taking a warm bath before bed and then having my legs massaged, 2. having the bed to myself where I can stretch my legs out 3. taking tylenol before bed sometimes helps me. I have heard magnesium supplements may help, though I dont know the dosage and I havent tried it. I just figured it was something I was going to have to deal with while pregnant. It sucks. I hope she can find some relief.

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#3 of 3 Old 09-13-2010, 10:35 AM

Potassium or Magnesium are recommended. Some people even say calcium. Calcium is a natural muscle contractor and magnesium is a natural muscle relaxor. I have taken magnesium for years for my TMJ pain. It works amazingly for me. During pregnancy I have noticed I needed to up my dosage a bit. I would start with 400-500mg of magnesium a day and see what she feels like after 2 weeks. Too much magnesium is not harmful, it just causes diareah.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page