'My Mom Told Me' - and other bad advice - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 97 Old 09-30-2010, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hilarious! My MIL told me that if we didn't circumcise our son he would get poop in his penis.
#92 of 97 Old 09-30-2010, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Besides the fact that it has quite a way to travel to get to the front of the diaper... the foreskin is tight in an infant to PREVENT that! From everything I've heard it only needs to open enough for urine to get out.
I haven't changed too many girls but I doubt poop would ever just work its way into the vagina either without some external help.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#93 of 97 Old 10-01-2010, 02:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
My mom keeps telling me not to eat food and to watch my weight. I know she's only worried cause my aunt gained like 90 lbs and actually had a very dangerous last trimester because of it, but please.... give me a break.
Eugh. My in-laws told SIL very sternly when she got pregnant this time, "Now don't gain too much weight! You gained far too much last time and it's only just coming off!" Nice thing to say to a newly pregnant woman, right? And the funny thing is.... A, she didn't gain that much weight, and B, FIL came over this morning to my house and said "Goodness, you're getting far too skinny!" - and I'm almost exactly the same size as a non-pregnant SIL! I don't know what's up with that, but poor SIL was rather hurt.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#94 of 97 Old 10-01-2010, 04:01 AM

I used to work in a store that sold nursing bras and I remember my boss saying to one pregnant woman "Get the epidural, the kid will be exposed to enough drugs later on that it really won't make a difference." She was kind of joking but she did seriously believe that all women should get epidurals for child birth. I was 21 at the time and had no opinion on natural child birth either way, but now it makes me sad that she gave that she gave that sort of advice to so many women.

Stay-at-home Mama to my fabulous DD (10/08)  and DS (9/12) and wife to my just-as-fabulous DH

#95 of 97 Old 10-01-2010, 12:25 PM

From a very young nurse and mother I worked with when hearing I was planning a homebirth. "You know it hurts, right?"

Then there was all the clucking I got that I wasn't gaining enough weight, etc. I had to explain a million times that I was fine but have a very long torso.

I got the CIO stuff from my mom, which surprised and hurt me a bit.

But the most unhelpful thing I got was my MIL telling the story of my DH's birth over and over again (in front of him) untill I had to ask her to stop. 3 hours of pushing. I thought you were never going to come out. This HUGE head.

The funny thing about this story is that talking it over with her later in a less charged moment, it's actually kind of a success story. DH was large. 10lb 13oz, and did have a very big head. And I know she perceived the labor as awful (hospital.. lithotomy etc) but when we talked more about it she started to say things like, "I didn't think he was ever going to come out. The doctor wanted to do a C section. The nurses got me through it. they tried to encourage me and they showed me a mirror. Eventually they told me I had to get up. And they had me sit up and get up and push, and that's how we got him out."

I am just somehow pleased that even then and in that era, they avoided a c section because the nurses encouraged a mom to keep going and got her upright. I wish she could see it as a victory.

Wife to DH, mom to DD1 energy.gif 9/06 and our new arrival DD2 femalesling.GIF 6/11

#96 of 97 Old 10-01-2010, 01:05 PM

From a friend who'd just had a baby (when I asked if she was nursing): "No, because I plan on going back to work, and I'd have to pump 8 to 12 times during my shift and my boss wouldn't like that."

Oh! I'd forgotten about this one (I think I blocked it out). When I was pregnant with DS, a nurse practioner told me that, because DS was breech at 37 weeks, I'd HAVE to schedule a C/S for that week (this went against the advice of every other OB & midwife in the practice). When I told her that I was going to wait it out to see if he flipped or I went into labor on my own, she said "but if you go into labor, you could show up to the hospital with a leg sticking out of your vagina!" After I told her I was good, she told me that she couldn't see me anymore and that I'd have to see an OB because I was so high risk. In fact, she went and got an OB to finish my appointment (who, by the way, was not at all worried about it and told me to wait it out). Meanwhile, DS flipped a week and a half later and I had a vaginal birth (with no random legs sticking out).

When I went to the office for my first pre-natal visit this time around, I learned that she was no longer there. NO PROBLEM with me!!!!!!!

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

#97 of 97 Old 10-01-2010, 02:55 PM

I would just call this advice, not necessarily all that bad, just not right in my case. My DS was having a hard time nursing at 2 months. He'd go 6-8 hours without nursing. When I'd try to put him to the breast, he'd arch his back and look up at me with these confused, sad eyes. I knew something was wrong. My mom kept telling me that I was just stressing about it, and needed to relax, and he would nurse. She also said that he will eat when he's hungry enough. He did still eat, but it was a battle for days. Turns out he was on a nursing strike(just as I thought) because he was super sensitive to the small amount of caffeine I was drinking each day. Sometimes, mama knows best!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page