Baby initials "BM" ---- okay? or gross? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Would you name baby with initials "BM"??
Yes - "BM" as initials are no big deal. 53 55.21%
No - "BM" is not acceptable 41 42.71%
Other 2 2.08%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 09-20-2010, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In this day and age, BM is fairly antiquated and medical terminology - nobody but doctors and prim grandmas would use it, I think. If you were asking about initials like LOL or WTF, I might hesitate more, but BM is pretty benign.

Doula, WOHM, wife to a super-fun papa, mama to the Monkey ('07), and his little brother, the Sea Monkey ('09).
#32 of 40 Old 09-20-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcparker View Post
If you were asking about initials like LOL or WTF, I might hesitate more, but BM is pretty benign.
but FTW is a total go-for-it

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#33 of 40 Old 09-20-2010, 01:53 PM

We have a last name that begins with an S so there are lots of ways to make 3 letter words with initials there! A friend of my DH's was trying so hard to get us to name our DS something that made GAS or ASS or GPS lol
We ended up with GXS.

Jessica, wife to Greg since 7/04, mama to the rainbow1284.gif Gman 7/06, 3 brokenheart.gif , rainbow1284.gif Asher 1/11 and a wonderful surprise due in August!

#34 of 40 Old 09-20-2010, 02:51 PM

My niece, born a few years ago, has a (very beautiful) name that gives the initials BM, and she even has a T-shirt with just her initials on it. When she was a couple of years old my mom said to me that she wished they hadn't given her those initials, and my response was, "Uh, why?" So even adults don't always make the connection... I'm not even sure if I had heard of that use of those letters before then... So I think it's no big deal, and I'm the kind of person who thinks hard about the initials I give to my kids!

DD 7/07 DS 1/11

#35 of 40 Old 09-20-2010, 08:13 PM

My husband's grandmother was named Beulah, and we want to name either this baby or our second after her. I don't think kids would notice.

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

#36 of 40 Old 09-20-2010, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think I'm the only one who grew up knowing BM = bowel movement!

My initials growing up were EMC. I think I was the only one who thought of E=mc²

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#37 of 40 Old 09-20-2010, 10:03 PM

I vote no, not on the grounds that other kids might tease your child, but on the grounds that you never want to give your child a reason to hate you My little sister totally blames my parents for her eating disorder because they gave her the initials EAT. Of course, she never takes responsibility for anything, but...your kid could grow up to have bowel problems and blame you lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jenny (27) partner to Michael (28) mama to Zoe (8) Selene (4) Garvin (2) and baby Gwendolyn (born 14 Jan 2011)
#38 of 40 Old 09-20-2010, 11:14 PM

I actually have a son with the initials BM, except we almost NEVER write his initials on anything. If we do, we throw his middle name in there...BPM.

I was hung up on this for a long time and decided that I love the name we gave our son & the initials didn't really matter.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#39 of 40 Old 09-21-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdewees View Post
My sister has lived her entire life with the initials "BJ." And, she named her son a name that also gives him the initials BJ. Actually, he's BMJ. So, both BM and BJ.

It depends on how important the name is to you. Personally, I don't think initials are a huge deal.
My name is BJM. But as a few people have already mentioned... Most kids don't know the phrase "BM" as bowel movement. And by the time they do, it's not funny enough to be worth teasing for and/or your kid will have outgrown being sensitive to that sort of thing.

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#40 of 40 Old 09-21-2010, 02:21 AM

I'm thinking that kids in middle and high school will notice and tease. Are you planning to go the outside of the house school route?

Quote:
I think I'm the only one who grew up knowing BM = bowel movement!
I've known at least since late elementary.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page