Baby initials "BM" ---- okay? or gross? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Would you name baby with initials "BM"??
Yes - "BM" as initials are no big deal. 53 55.21%
No - "BM" is not acceptable 41 42.71%
Other 2 2.08%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 09-19-2010, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Would you use a "B" first name if your last name started with an "M"? Would kids at school tease about it being a bowel movement, or would they not even notice?
#2 of 40 Old 09-19-2010, 03:33 PM

Kids probably wouldn't notice, but adults might. It really depends on how much you love the name and whether it's worth it to you. I'm a transcriptionist so have to initialize typed interviews all the time and I do see BM occasionally, it's not rare or anything.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#3 of 40 Old 09-19-2010, 03:36 PM

Our last name starts with an M, and if I loved a B first name, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#4 of 40 Old 09-19-2010, 03:37 PM

I have a friend who's initials are BM and I never even thought about it until this moment. I don't think it's a big deal.

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#5 of 40 Old 09-19-2010, 03:37 PM

It would pretty much rule out ever having anything monogrammed. Seriously, if it was a really really important family name, then sure, but I personally wouldn't use it.

Our last name combines for some real doozies, so we've had to nix some really good first names in the past. It is what it is, you know?
#6 of 40 Old 09-19-2010, 03:41 PM

Those are my mom's initials. She usually initials things with her middle initial as well, but she doesn't seem to be overly affected by it.

She married into the initials, though, so it might be a bit different.

Most kids don't use the phrase "BM," so it might not really be an issue. I remember learning what a BM was, and saying, "Hey, mom, those are you initials!" but by then I was already old enough that it wasn't really all that funny. I don't know of anyone who uses the phrase "BM" in their daily language anyway.

And really, you never know what horrific thing is going to suddenly have a commonly accepted acronym next. No initials are safe! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#7 of 40 Old 09-19-2010, 03:44 PM

A lot of people have no clue BM means bowel movement. Then, to some like me, breast milk overruns that meaning.

I think their biggest thing would be people tagging an X or W on the end if anything at all and that's not really a horrible thing (compared to the bowel movement one lol)

(my daughter will be MD... but I doubt anyone will ever think of doctor. My other daughter and my son are MJ... and not going to get Michael Jackson or marijuana references. I grew up MC... the ONLY person to joke about MC Hammer was a friend of mine whose last name was Hammer and it was just a humorous observation that together we were MC Hammer.)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#8 of 40 Old 09-19-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
A lot of people have no clue BM means bowel movement.
Agreed. I had never heard the term until I was an adult working in childcare. And my mom is a RN/midwife. I mean, I knew what a bowel movement was, obviously, but BM was not a common phrase growing up.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#9 of 40 Old 09-19-2010, 03:46 PM

My sister has lived her entire life with the initials "BJ." And, she named her son a name that also gives him the initials BJ. Actually, he's BMJ. So, both BM and BJ.

It depends on how important the name is to you. Personally, I don't think initials are a huge deal.

Wife of an Airman Mom of Hayden(01-23-06), Vincent(10-26-08), and baby#3(due 01-29-11) Student Midwife&Birth Doula
#10 of 40 Old 09-19-2010, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I do think initials are pretty important. I had to initial a bunch of things recently at a hospital and a bank. So no, I would use BM to name my child.
#11 of 40 Old 09-19-2010, 04:59 PM

I was thinking why is breast milk gross, lol? Then I saw the other posts! I would go for it. By chane if baby grows up and hates the initial, maybe they can initial including middle name, so it would be BxM?

enjoying motherhood way more than science:
married to DH love.gif (2003) mama to DDenergy.gif(Nov 2008) & DSbabyf.gif   (Mar 2011)

#12 of 40 Old 09-19-2010, 05:02 PM

My initials are BM, I survived!

I've never gotten any comments that I can think of. Though my last name is a Mc name, and when I initial stuff I write "BMc"

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#13 of 40 Old 09-19-2010, 05:05 PM

BM is breastmilk

anyway, a lot of people might not notice and depending on the kid, there could be a time during their childhood where they find it HILARIOUS. My brother would have if he know what BM was.

My current initials are BS. My maiden initials were BB. My middle name is Jo. It didn't take long for my high school friends to realize my name was BJoB. They noticed BJ... then saw that BJoB really completed it. My mom was kind. There is more funny to my name but I don't want to give away TOO much info haha. Either way, I took a bit of teasing, but my 'hilarious' name was never the main thing I was teased about. Now no one cares and I'm the only one who finds my initials absolutely hilarious. BS.
#14 of 40 Old 09-19-2010, 05:15 PM

I'd add that while a lot of kids won't know what it means, it might just take one to point it out to the rest. And a lot of people wouldn't be bothered, but I know I would have been horrified (esp. as a pre-teen girl) to realize my initials are a synonym for poop.
#15 of 40 Old 09-19-2010, 05:16 PM

I never heard the term "BM" for poop until I was well into adulthood. Honestly, I don't remember anyone ever being teased about what their initials might stand for - and if kids were going to tease about initials, they'd probably just make up some obnoxious phrase to go along with them. I wouldn't hesitate.
#16 of 40 Old 09-19-2010, 07:02 PM

I think it'll end up being fine. Might get a snicker here or there, but I dont think its anything that the child will end up getting tormented for.

And as far as initialing and monograming go.... s/he could always include the middle name, so its BLM or BCM, etc. And, if its a girl, theres the likelyhood that her initials wouldnt be BM forever.

So no, I dont think its a big deal if you love the name.

Fiona Rose  stillheart.gif12.25.10stillheart.gif

#17 of 40 Old 09-19-2010, 07:08 PM

I don't see the big deal...but I also don't get monogramming. I can honestly say that not I nor a single one of my family members have ever gotten something monogrammed, so maybe I am just initial illiterate.
#18 of 40 Old 09-19-2010, 07:31 PM

I didn't know the phrase 'BM' until I met someone who used it (for a child) when I was 20...

I live in the Northeast though I don't know if its a regional thing like pop or hoagies.

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#19 of 40 Old 09-19-2010, 10:20 PM

I worked with a lady who had those initials, in a place where we had to use our initials constantly while charting. It was a non-issue.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#20 of 40 Old 09-19-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
I don't see the big deal...but I also don't get monogramming. I can honestly say that not I nor a single one of my family members have ever gotten something monogrammed, so maybe I am just initial illiterate.
This. Then again, I don't even keep MATCHING towels in my bathroom, never mind monogrammed matching towels. They're clean, and that's good enough for my post-pottying needs.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#21 of 40 Old 09-19-2010, 11:02 PM

Seriously, no big deal.
#22 of 40 Old 09-19-2010, 11:49 PM

its so funny, since i have worked out there for over 10 years, i just thing BurningMan when i see those letters, i thing of the other conection as really old fashion since the only one i know that uses it is my grandma

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#23 of 40 Old 09-19-2010, 11:59 PM

I wouldnt give it another thought.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#24 of 40 Old 09-20-2010, 12:16 AM

BM is Breastmilk to me. Our last name starts with M, we didn't have any B names in the running, but I wouldn't hesitate to use them if we did.

Mama to three

#25 of 40 Old 09-20-2010, 12:18 AM

I also have semi-embarrassing initials and just add in my middle initial when needed. No big deal. I agree with PPs that I doubt kids will know what BM means.

9/2011 items decluttered
#26 of 40 Old 09-20-2010, 12:22 AM

I would take naming and initials seriously b/c kids are often teased at school.

I heartbeat.gif my  9/22/02  dd who likes to blahblah.gif, 4/29/09 mos old. silly & adventurous girl twins twins.gif ,  11/15/l0 girl baby.gif & my coffee drinking DH!
#27 of 40 Old 09-20-2010, 10:22 AM

Our dd is Bridget and our last name starts with M, so BM= no big deal

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#28 of 40 Old 09-20-2010, 10:41 AM

Our last name starts with M and if this next one is a girl the first name is a B name. I've been a teacher for 10 years and have never heard any of the kids I work with tease about initials, much less have any idea what BM means.

I got teased for my name when I was a kid, getting called "Lezzie" but when my dh and I talked about it, he said he was rarely teased for his (pretty normal name) but they just found other things to tease him about. I'm not worried about the "BM" thing at all.
#29 of 40 Old 09-20-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VroomieMama View Post
I would take naming and initials seriously b/c kids are often teased at school.
I dunno... no matter what your initials, if kids want to tease, they'll find SOMETHING to tease about, "funny" initials or not.

To me? BM = no big deal. Don't take finding the perfect name for granted! It's sooooo hard. If you've found one you love, use it!

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

#30 of 40 Old 09-20-2010, 11:22 AM

I don't think kids would be likely to tease about that, but it would bother ME, so I wouldn't use it.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page