Any other stomach sleepers out there? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 09-19-2010, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is already starting to become uncomfortable. How does one adjust?

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#2 of 17 Old 09-19-2010, 03:58 PM

A few body pillows turned into a nest and I am STILL tummy sleeping at nearly 41 weeks! It takes a bit of experimentation to figure out how to place them to make it comfortable and supportive.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 17 Old 09-19-2010, 04:07 PM

I'm 21 weeks and am still sleeping on my stomach - though, I don't know how. The baby does not approve and is constantly nudging me. I'm going to have to keep an eye on this thread for tips!

Wife of an Airman Mom of Hayden(01-23-06), Vincent(10-26-08), and baby#3(due 01-29-11) Student Midwife&Birth Doula
#4 of 17 Old 09-19-2010, 04:12 PM

i slept on my belly till about 2 months ago?! im 33 weeks.. a pillow under one knee helps, its not true tummy lying but its comfy. now i just cant in any way lie on my front. i feel like im suffocating. i lie on my right side with pillows under my belly and knees. my left side also gives me that suffocating feeling when i sleep (supposedly this is the best way?! ).. looking forward to sleeping on my belly again some day..
oh and good luck trying to tummy sleep when baby is born. your boobs will be so full of milk it will be almost as impossible as when you are pregnant... it just plain HURTS.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#5 of 17 Old 09-19-2010, 04:13 PM

i just make sure one hip is slightly higher than the other...on my stomach but i have a pillow on one side of me. i also have a memory foam mattress - i think that helps. i went to sleep in my son's room the other night and i had to sleep on my side because his mattress is so hard.

Married Busy Mom to DSS 01/05, DD 11/05, DSD 11/06, DD 02/07, DS 03/08 and baby on the way 11/10
#6 of 17 Old 09-19-2010, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I normally sleep on my stomach, but i just can't get comfortable that way when pregnant. I have a body pillow and use it to side sleep.
#7 of 17 Old 09-19-2010, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Which body pillow do you use? I'm finding impossible to pick from all the choices.

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#8 of 17 Old 09-19-2010, 04:49 PM

I am 24 weeks and I still sleep on my stomach. It was actually more uncomfortable in the first month or two because my breasts were so dang sore. Now, I usually end up with one leg straight and the other sort of thrown upwards and bent at the knee, if that makes sense ... I probably look sort of like a lowercase letter h from above. I can see needing to incorporate a pillow or two into the design before too long, but this is working for now. I think it helps that we have a squishy mattress.

#9 of 17 Old 09-19-2010, 05:01 PM

i bought a bunch of cheap ones, that way I could fashion my own nest rather than be restricted by one expensive pillow.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#10 of 17 Old 09-19-2010, 06:25 PM

Yep, me! Eagerly reading this thread. I had no idea I could keep sleeping on my stomach so late.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#11 of 17 Old 09-19-2010, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Macandcheese, that's how I sleep now actually. I am glad that is working. Hopefully it will be less uncomfortable once my boobs hurt less.

#12 of 17 Old 09-19-2010, 07:35 PM

I always give up and sleep on my side, though I do use a body pillow and lean towards the tummy as much as possible. I always *long* to lie on my belly...as soon as I have the baby I lie on my stomach!

And the body pillow I have is a $10 one I bought at Sam's club a couple of years ago. Works fine, coupled with my regular pillows.
#13 of 17 Old 09-19-2010, 08:02 PM

Not being able to sleep on my stomach has been so sad but at least it's good for my neck! I slept on my stomach until about 28 weeks and then I switched to a C-shaped Boppy pillow- one end goes under your neck and the other between your knees. It kind of keeps your arm from going to sleep, which is my problem sleeping on my side. I can not WAIT to go back to sleeping on my stomach after he's born, I really hope my nursing boobs will tolerate it!
#14 of 17 Old 09-19-2010, 11:58 PM

i found that sleeping on my stomach was harder in the very beginning than it is now at 21 weeks with my twins.
and in general the boobs give me more grief than the tummy does. i find that as long as im not compleatly flat on the tummy but even just slightly to one side of the other the tummy adjusts and things are pretty good, im actually pretty shocked, its amazing how such a firm large belly can get comfy as long as i take it slow

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#15 of 17 Old 09-20-2010, 02:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingsparklz View Post
I always give up and sleep on my side, though I do use a body pillow and lean towards the tummy as much as possible. I always *long* to lie on my belly...as soon as I have the baby I lie on my stomach!
I remember realizing I could sleep on my tummy again after having my son. It got ruined a couple days later when my milk came in and again made it horribly uncomfortable to tummy sleep.

Like many PP, I find a body pillow to be very useful and still lay on my tummy as much as I can manage. With my first pregnancy, I bought a cheap one from Target. It made it through the pregnancy just barely: it was getting bunchy towards the end. This time I bought a slightly more expensive one from Bed, Bath and Beyond ($20) and hope that it will withstand the use better.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#16 of 17 Old 09-20-2010, 05:02 AM

I've been told by my obgyn and prenatal posture therapist (that I am taking a course with) that sleeping on your belly is fine. What works well is to put a sturdy normal pillow (no body / nursing pillow) next to you and then put one leg onto it, with the knee pulled up. That way, you've created some space for your belly to go.
#17 of 17 Old 09-20-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandcheese View Post
I am 24 weeks and I still sleep on my stomach. It was actually more uncomfortable in the first month or two because my breasts were so dang sore. Now, I usually end up with one leg straight and the other sort of thrown upwards and bent at the knee, if that makes sense ... I probably look sort of like a lowercase letter h from above. I can see needing to incorporate a pillow or two into the design before too long, but this is working for now. I think it helps that we have a squishy mattress.
This is what I do, too. I end up in a position half way between tummy sleeping & side sleeping. I have 2-3 pillow around my head/shoulders, one between legs, another one under arm. Other than waking up several times a night to turn (left-right, then right-let) and rearrange all my pillows, it's pretty comfy!

enjoying motherhood way more than science:
married to DH love.gif (2003) mama to DDenergy.gif(Nov 2008) & DSbabyf.gif   (Mar 2011)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page