Headaches at the End of the 1st Trimester - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-21-2010, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
What is the cause of headaches towards the end of the 1st trimester and what can be done to get rid of them? Thanks!

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#2 of 14 Old 09-21-2010, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
it could be dehydration, but so far i've just found it to be a standard part of my pregnancies. my guess is hormones, but i never looked into it more than trying to figure what to do to make it go away.

i am not someone who is unwilling to take meds, so i've always just gone with tylenol. although this pregnancy, i've also taken advil for really vicious ones. it is my understanding that advil becomes category C during the last 3 months of pregnancy, but is as safe as tylenol during the first two tris. naturally, confirm that with your OB or MW first!

hoping for a !
#3 of 14 Old 09-21-2010, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

I did just dig out the Tylenol. I'm not really opposed to an OTC pain reliever either...I just was being lazy about digging through the closet. That and a coffee seems to be helping.

I did think about dehydration, which it could be because I'm often thirsty but, MAN, I am drinking A LOT of water as it is. Like WAY more than I usually do.

#4 of 14 Old 09-21-2010, 10:43 AM

I think they're hormonal. I got wicked headaches right at the edge between the 1st and 2nd trimester, for probably 2 weeks I think? Tylenol + caffeine was the only thing to kick them, and I HAD to kick them or I'd have a headache for 3 days straight.

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#5 of 14 Old 09-21-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c'est moi View Post

i am not someone who is unwilling to take meds, so i've always just gone with tylenol. although this pregnancy, i've also taken advil for really vicious ones. it is my understanding that advil becomes category C during the last 3 months of pregnancy, but is as safe as tylenol during the first two tris. naturally, confirm that with your OB or MW first!
I just read that someone taking advil before and during pregnancy have 80% increased rate of a miscarriage....I've always been told NEVER to advil especially in while TTC and 1st trimester and tylenol seems to have no effect no matter when it's taken...

I get headaches too and sometimes it's just easier to get a hot compress and go to bed...
#6 of 14 Old 09-21-2010, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Kallyn. It's somehow nice to hear that other people were having them around the same time. I had a fairly symptom free first 2 pregnancies so this one is taking me for a loop!!

#7 of 14 Old 09-21-2010, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

We were posting at the same time, Danielle. I actually found some Tylenol so I didn't have to even risk the Advil issue (though I thought I read it only shouldn't be taken in 3rd tri? but thought I'd stay on the safe side).

#8 of 14 Old 09-21-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post
We were posting at the same time, Danielle. I actually found some Tylenol so I didn't have to even risk the Advil issue (though I thought I read it only shouldn't be taken in 3rd tri? but thought I'd stay on the safe side).
lol...I have never read that's it's safe at all during pregnancy so for me if tylenol does the trick i don't even think twice, but if it's something you need (when i'm not pregnant i only use advil) i'd just ask your CP just to make sure...
#9 of 14 Old 09-21-2010, 01:37 PM

here are a couple online references regarding advil safety during pregnancy, but i stick with my original comment to check with your OB or MW first. i just don't want anyone to think i'm making it up, you know.

http://www.babycenter.com/406_is-it-...ncy_1246873.bc

http://www.womenshealth.gov/faq/pregnancy-medicines.cfm

personally, i've only resorted to advil when my headache was so bad, it reduced my ability to care for my daughter. so far, that's been all of once this pregnancy, but i have taken tylenol many other times.

hoping for a !
#10 of 14 Old 09-21-2010, 02:14 PM

FWIW, my OB told me that advil was ok in moderation in the second trimester (I can not take tylenol), but not in the first or third. I have taken it once when my sciatica was so bad I could barely walk.
#11 of 14 Old 09-21-2010, 03:22 PM

I get headaches too It seemed to me to be more in the middle of the first trimester (I'm 10 weeks today) and although I have an "ache" in my head right now - it is NOT a headache that last for 2-3 days!!!

I also just take tylenol..........on the really bad days (if I have to do something especially) I just stay on top of it every 4 hours......what else can you do?

The one other thing that worked really well for me last pregnancy was excedrin TENSION headache (not just excedrin) It is basically tylenol with some caffeine thrown in! it

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#12 of 14 Old 09-21-2010, 08:22 PM

I got headaches at the end of the first trimester too. I sometimes took Tylenol and sometimes put an ice pack on my forehead.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#13 of 14 Old 09-21-2010, 11:08 PM

I'm with the hormonal crowd.

Both last time and this time, the first 2-3 weeks of my second trimester, I get horrible headaches. Luckily, they respond to Tylenol.

They usually go away by 18 weeks though.
#14 of 14 Old 09-21-2010, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I don't like taking Tylenol (or really anything) unless I have to but I've taken my fair share this pregnancy.

First with these late first tri/early second tri headaches... worst headaches I've ever had and second with the 'kidney infection' I had. I feel horrible for it now but I know I was taking over the maximum dose for a few days during the 'kidney infection' event. Maximum strength my . Its says it lasts 6 hours but it was wearing off after an hour (after taking up to a half hour to kick in!) but I couldn't eat/drink/sleep without it. I actually had the nurse at my doctor's office, who btw took 24 hours to call me back, chastise me for taking too much Tylenol instead of actually trying to help me! I'M NOT CRYING FOR HELP ON YOUR DANG ANSWERING MACHINE FOR YOU TO YELL AT ME!! I had DH take me up to the hospital 3 times before they finally gave me something that could make my life semi-normal again (muscle relaxers finally worked, and on the first pill too). I don't even want to know how many Tylenol I went through before I finally got some real help but I'd estimate 50-75.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page