41ish weeks and now polyhydramnios?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-21-2010, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My OB has me coming in for a weekly NST and Biophysical Profile since I am "past due". After reviewing the biophysical profile results today, she said that I have an AFI (amniotic fluid index) of 30 and that I have polyhydramnios.

I am planning a VBAC. What does this mean for me? Is there anything I can change about my behavior/lifestyle that could help stop polyhydramnios? More walking? More rest? Dietary changes?
#2 of 11 Old 09-22-2010, 12:24 AM
myk

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
not that i know of. at this point, i'm not too sure it's that much to worry about, is it? i had a lot of amniotic fluid with my daughter (i didn't get an official diagnosis of polyhydraminos, but i was huge and a lot of that was extra amniotic fluid) and it didn't cause any problems. it wasn't a vbac though. i'd definitely ask your doc about that.

January 2011
#3 of 11 Old 09-22-2010, 08:19 AM

What did your OB say? Polyhydraminos can be a sign of a serious problem.
#4 of 11 Old 09-22-2010, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

The OB didn't say much. I guess she figures that baby will be out in a few days anyway. She did mention that he shows no signs of birth defects (I did the triple screen, NT and have had several ultrasounds) and that I don't have high blood pressure (yesterday was 120/80) and that I don't have diabetes.

She did sound like I may be headed for a repeat c-section rather than an induction if I reach 42 weeks. She is concerned about induction putting stress on the baby.
#5 of 11 Old 09-22-2010, 03:10 PM
myk

darn.. i hope baby is out sooner rather than later, then!

January 2011
#6 of 11 Old 09-22-2010, 04:03 PM

I had "suspected polyhydramnios" diagnosed at my 41w BPP as well and was a VBAC. My OB gave me a little "scare talk" about extra stress on my c/s scar with the excess fluid and large (9.5lb) baby. She recommended induction as a conservative route, but I told her I was comfortable with monitoring and waiting. FTR, my AFI was 31.

I went into labor the next day, and my membranes stayed intact until we decided to rupture them with the fetal scalp probe rather than an amni-hook when I was 9.5cm dilated. There are risks with poly when membranes rupture since the force of the fluid can reposition baby and sweep cord out (at least more of a risk than with a "normal" amount of fluid), so we decided a smaller hole would allow the fluid to leave more gradually and lower those risks. Baby did float back up--he was asynclitic anyway--but we did not have any cord issues.

Was your OB implying that having poly already increases the stress on baby? That was never mentioned to me. The risks cited were the cord issues as well as the stress on my scar.

And I did get my VBAC

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#7 of 11 Old 09-22-2010, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Was your OB implying that having poly already increases the stress on baby?

I'm glad you asked this, because I think I was taking it that way, but now that I think about it, I don't think she was implying that. She basically just had the attitude of "it's just one more thing." As in a "risk factor"...

I think she is saying that induction puts stress on the baby, which seems really "duh" to me. Seems like any induction for any reason (regardless of VBAC) would put stress on the baby and you just have to decide if that stress is worth it in each individual circumstance or if it is better to just leave the baby in there a while longer.

I am so very happy for you that you got your VBAC! I hope that my day is coming very soon!!
#8 of 11 Old 09-22-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalent Dreams View Post
"it's just one more thing." As in a "risk factor"...

...you just have to decide if that stress is worth it in each individual circumstance or if it is better to just leave the baby in there a while longer.
I think both of these statements are true! I left my 41w OB appointment really upset because I felt like the deck was being stacked against me after everything had gone so well so far. But in reality, the polyhydramnios really didn't impact my VBAC in the least, other than the HUGE lake it left when my membranes released

My OB reminded me during labor that it's her job to inform me of the worst-case scenarios and also prepare herself for those. My doula had told me this earlier as well, and it's really important to keep in mind.

You WILL get your VBAC! Stay positive and try to be patient

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#9 of 11 Old 09-22-2010, 06:12 PM

Hey there! I had polyhydramnios with my 2nd son the entire 3rd trimester, and I had a successful HBAC at 42 weeks and 5 days! Btw, he was born PERFECTLY healthy and gorgeous!!! Don't be scared, it's usually not cause for concern. I didn't have polyhydramnios with my first son and they don't really know why I had it last time. I was very scared, and I remember Googling it and reading some scary stuff! But again, he was born perfectly healthy. The only problem it really caused with the birth or pregnancy was that he kept flipping until the very end, so we didn't know if he would stay breech/transverse (he didn't). Hang in there and don't let others scare you!

Mommy to beauties DS1 (7), DS2 (4, autism), & DS3 (2)

and many angel babies angel1.gif

#10 of 11 Old 09-22-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalent Dreams View Post
The OB didn't say much. I guess she figures that baby will be out in a few days anyway. She did mention that he shows no signs of birth defects (I did the triple screen, NT and have had several ultrasounds) and that I don't have high blood pressure (yesterday was 120/80) and that I don't have diabetes.

She did sound like I may be headed for a repeat c-section rather than an induction if I reach 42 weeks. She is concerned about induction putting stress on the baby.
I wouldn't be too concerned about it at this point, then. Hopefully you'll go into labor before 42 weeks and won't have to worry about that! Good luck with your vbac
#11 of 11 Old 09-22-2010, 10:02 PM

I've not btdt but I'd ask for another BPP before I did anything or made any decisions. Ultrasound is very dependent upon the tech's skill and care with measuring and that's how they determine amniotic fluid levels. Hang in there!

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page