I don't understand the maternal to fetus dental health connection... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 09-23-2010, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
I have read that the mother can essentially pass dental disease on to her fetus inutero. Can someone please explain that process to me? Thanks!

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#2 of 18 Old 09-23-2010, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know how that one specifically works, but I do know there is a lot of research right now into the spectrum of other bad health effects having bad teeth can have on you.

The reason for this is when you have a mouth full of bacteria, it gets into your blood stream very easily and affects other organ systems. It is thought that having periodontal disease contributes to cardiovascular disease because of the excess nasty mouth bacteria in the bloodstream, damages the lining of the blood vessels.
#3 of 18 Old 09-23-2010, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
As I understand it, its like having an untreated infection raging 24/7. You may not be technically sick but your immune system is constantly working trying to fight it off.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#4 of 18 Old 09-23-2010, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Do is the idea that the bacteria carries over to your child through the placenta? I'm specifically talking about the connection between the fetus and the mother's dental health.

#5 of 18 Old 09-23-2010, 04:04 PM

I thought the placenta blocked most bacteria because the cells were too large? Periodontal disease can cause pre-term birth and low birth weight but I think that has more to do with the mom's immune system than bacteria getting through...

#6 of 18 Old 09-23-2010, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

I thought I read that dental disease could carry from the mother to the child. That's my question. Is that true? What is the research? How does that happen?

#7 of 18 Old 09-23-2010, 04:17 PM

I know it can happen after birth if the mother kisses the baby (puts the pacifier in her mouth, ect)...

#8 of 18 Old 09-23-2010, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
I know it can happen after birth if the mother kisses the baby (puts the pacifier in her mouth, ect)...
That is the theory being promoted in the dental offices. Basically they say you are spreading the bacteria that causes decay from your mouth into your child's mouth.

I am not sure I buy it though. Wouldn't that same theory also apply between husband and wife? Cause I know I am doing a lot more germ swapping with my husband than my kids and dh's teeth are completely rotted out and mine are perfectly fine, except one wisdom tooth I had to have removed a few years ago.

#9 of 18 Old 09-23-2010, 04:44 PM

Here's what I remember my dentist telling me (take with a grain of salt)...babies don't have the germs that cause cavities UNTIL well meaning adults feed them off their spoon and share saliva. So until there is some saliva sharing, it is not possible for babies to get cavities.

I'm guessing it doesn't apply to adults because we all have the cavity causing germs anyway.
#10 of 18 Old 09-23-2010, 04:54 PM

I think the babies would eventually get them since we all breathe out teeny tiny droplets of spit (really gross to think you're breathing strangers spit whenever you leave your house!) but it wouldn't be as severe as putting them directly from your mouth to theirs.

#11 of 18 Old 09-23-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgirl2207 View Post
Here's what I remember my dentist telling me (take with a grain of salt)...babies don't have the germs that cause cavities UNTIL well meaning adults feed them off their spoon and share saliva. So until there is some saliva sharing, it is not possible for babies to get cavities.

I'm guessing it doesn't apply to adults because we all have the cavity causing germs anyway.
I would take that with a definite grain of salt. My DD didn't eat until she was 2 1/2 - 3, so by then she could eat from her own spoon and wanted no help from me. She has a cavity forming and front tooth decay and she was breastfed entirely for at least 2 1/2 years. No pacifier or bottles

Unless they could get it from me blowing on her food to cool it down, but I haven't done that until recently.

Basically our dentist said some kids/people just have more/grow more bacteria in their mouth than other people, no matter how much they brush.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#12 of 18 Old 09-23-2010, 08:12 PM

I am pretty sure that there are also GOOD bacteria in our mouth that can compete with the bad ones. The bacterial population in peoples mouth can be different. So is mom had a pretty good population that is pretty likely to eventually get passed to baby through close contact etc. Same if mom is unlucky and has a less good population.

I think I read studies related to the above information (may not yet be confirmed or heavily researched but at least a hypothesis being tested). I don't have anything more concrete to tell you though!

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#13 of 18 Old 09-23-2010, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Okie Dokie...then. I'm just not going to worry about it. I totally heard the whole "mom can give baby this and that by sharing a spoon thing" but just thought that was the stupidest thing ever. I mean, we're a family - we're going to share germs. That's life.

So no one other than me has heard this story of how you can pass dental disease on to your fetus before birth? Maybe I misunderstood what I read and it was more about what PP mentioned with regard to immune function and pre-term birth.

#14 of 18 Old 09-23-2010, 09:36 PM

As far as Ive heard, certain dental diseases can cause issues (other than just immune system issues) such as preterm delivery.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#15 of 18 Old 09-24-2010, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
As far as Ive heard, certain dental diseases can cause issues (other than just immune system issues) such as preterm delivery.
This is what my dentist told me--can't remember exactly, but something about the inflamation caused by gum disease triggering a process that could also cause preterm labor.

lucky mom to Oliver, 8/6/07, and Finn, 11/28/10, and wife to DH
#16 of 18 Old 09-24-2010, 03:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm going to guess what you're thinking of is what MaerynPearl is referring to. Dental infections are associated with preterm birth. The mouth is highly vascular and it's therefore easy for bacteria to enter the bloodstream, potentially causing an infection in the placenta.

Here's an abstract regarding the association:
http://jada.ada.org/cgi/content/full/132/7/875

While habits of the mother in utero CAN have long-term effects on a child's oral health, I believe the only issue with dental health of the mother herself is this increased risk of prematurity due to infections passed on to the placenta.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#17 of 18 Old 09-26-2010, 11:02 PM

There was a recent case study where the fetus of a mother w/ gingivitis died in utero during the 3rd trimester (ie. delivered stillbirth at term). The baby died from a bacterial infection, caused by the same strain of oral bacteria found in the mother. Obviously this type of bacteria is not supposed to be in amniotic fluid.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0121171411.htm
#18 of 18 Old 09-27-2010, 12:42 AM
myk

i haven't heard of in utero transfer of gingivitis.. i've heard of mom's oral health affecting preterm labour, low birth weight, etc.. and i've heard of sharing germs with the baby via soother, spoon, kisses, etc. but i've never heard of actually transferring dental disease in utero.

January 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page