Zofran? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-28-2010, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody use it? Your opinion of it? My doc prescribed it for me due to massive vomiting and dehydration. I'm 6 weeks 3days.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 09-28-2010, 12:20 PM

I've not taken Zofran, but I've heard about it. I've used doxylamine succinate to control nausea/vomiting. I say if it's safe to take and makes you feel more human, then take it. No need to suffer and dehydration is BAD. Did your Dr say you have hyperemesis gravidarum?
#3 of 11 Old 09-28-2010, 12:23 PM

I used it when Unisom/B6 couldn't keep the nausea down. It's extremely effective but also expensive; often used for nausea caused by cancer treatments. One of the safest nausea medications in pregnancy and with few side-effects.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#4 of 11 Old 09-28-2010, 01:13 PM

I used it for 26 weeks for my first baby, and this time for 20 weeks. Works for vomiting, not for nausea. So it will stop you throwing up, but not feeling like you need to. I still dry heaved.

Causes some serious constipation. For me, it was bad, bad, bad. You might need magnesium supplements or many colace or miralax.

Baby #1 is fine, so no side effects to baby, she is 3 1/2.

I never had an official diagnoses with HG, but vomiting 15-20 times and losing weight and not keeping down water, I figured I needed to use something!

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#5 of 11 Old 09-28-2010, 01:18 PM

lillymonster, that's so interesting to hear! It did help my nausea.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#6 of 11 Old 09-28-2010, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've used it for pregnancies #2 and #3. Zofran and Phenergan alternately.
It didn't keep me completely out of the hospital, I still had to go in now and then for IV fluids. But it really helped me get through the day. And I used it from weeks 8 all the way through.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#7 of 11 Old 09-28-2010, 02:11 PM

I took 8mg of zofran twice a day for about 6 weeks this pregnancy. It wasn't a cure-all, but it made a world of difference. I still couldn't cook or eat most things, but I was able to eat about a meal a day (something random, always from out) and a few snacks here and there. I gained no weight while I was taking it, but I didn't lose any additional weight. I still avoided any odors/smells/fragrances whenever possible since they still made me gag, but I didn't throw up!

I will second the constipation issue. I suggest *not* taking pre-natal vitamins, just a regular multivitamin, since iron is constipation and PNVs have a lot more iron. I will also say that I will take constipation over vomiting any time

I'm usually very anti-medicine especially when pregnant, but since I had already been treated for dehydration once and had lost 11 pounds, I figured the zofran was the lesser of the two evils. And, it's category B for pregnancy.

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#8 of 11 Old 09-28-2010, 06:27 PM

I've been on it since 8 weeks and I'm 22 weeks now. It definitely helped my vomiting right away and I do think it helps my nausea some. I also take Unisom and B6.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#9 of 11 Old 09-29-2010, 01:58 PM

I took it with my last baby and it helped for vomiting but not nausea. I was still VERY nauseous, but I never threw up.

And yes, I also agree with the constipation. But for me I'll take constipation over vomiting any day!! Especially if you have other little ones to care for!

Kristen treehugger.gif mama to Chris(15)eat.gif, Kaitlyn(10)blahblah.gif, TJ(8)sleepytime.gif and Natalie(5)thumbsuck.gif & Emily(2)diaper.gif

#10 of 11 Old 09-29-2010, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your replies. I've been trying to research possible effects in utero to no avail. Has anyone heard of any effects on a developing fetus?
Posted via Mobile Device
#11 of 11 Old 09-29-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepaperclip View Post
Thanks for all your replies. I've been trying to research possible effects in utero to no avail. Has anyone heard of any effects on a developing fetus?
Posted via Mobile Device
No, I have never heard of anything or seen anything. I know many people IRL who have used it and never had any issues. I too scoured message boards when I first used it years ago and never saw anything. I used it for 26 weeks, from day one until 26 weeks everyday, 8 mg. My daughter is now 3 1/2. So far baby #2 is fine, no issues at all and I was on 12 mg a day over the course of the day. I am sure it's much much better than being dehydrated, I think that would be more dangerous personally.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page