Are there any safe antidepressants during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 09-29-2010, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I normally don't post a lot of personal information on here, but this situation is rather critical (and largely out of my control). My brother's girlfriend has had a very rough year and a half with a trauma which resulted in her being treated by an incompetent doctor who prescribed her antidepressants and didn't monitor them. We believe that these meds are responsible for some recent volatile mood swings which resulted in her voluntarily admitting herself this week to a mental health facility because she was feeling suicidal. She has been off the pill for several months now because another doctor believed that her hormones were being thrown out of whack. She was put on the patch (don't really know much about it because I have very little experience with chemical birth control), but as I understand it, it's very unreliable.

So, this week, the facility that she went to (not a good choice -- they gave her detox meds right away before finding out anything about her or her situation), discovered that she's about 5 wks. pregnant. She has since been relocated to a much better facility with a neonatal unit, and they've slowed down the talk about abortion (which they were trying to force her into despite the fact that she and my brother very much want to avoid that if at all possible), and have begun to talk about outpatient treatment options (for depression and anxiety). She currently is not taking anything (hasn't been for about 5 days now), and already is calmer, happier and more like her "normal" self. She is currently listed as an "involuntary admittance" because of the incompetence of the last facility (a nurse at which gave her a phone number and told her to sue said facility).

Her doctor REALLY wants to put her on something -- anything at all, it appears. He insists that there are many "safe" antidepressants, but my brother and his girlfriend are very skeptical, and aren't impressed with the responses they're getting from the professionals. I told my brother I would ask you all for a less mainstream perspective, and see if there's anything they're missing.

Amanda and Dh, ds 09/00, ds 08/03, ds 10/05, and ds 05/08, and 3 :
#2 of 20 Old 09-29-2010, 07:44 PM

Zoloft is the most common anti depressant in pregnancy and is considered very safe. Prozac and many other SSRI's are also "safe"
Liora likes this.
#3 of 20 Old 09-29-2010, 08:09 PM

I was on Zoloft for my last pregnancy. it's the only one i know of

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#4 of 20 Old 09-29-2010, 08:30 PM

I'm pretty sure Welbutrin is a class B drug, which is pretty safe. It's not an SSRI and doesn't work for everyone. I think all the SSRI's are class C drugs. Hugs to your family, what an ordeal so far.

~~Angie~~
mom to Alona 12, Olivia 8, Ivy 3 , angel3.gif1/19/09 & Natalia Quinn 1.10.11
#5 of 20 Old 09-29-2010, 09:57 PM

My psychiatrist was very uncomfortable with me taking welbutrin while pregnant (I asked him about my meds before we started TTC) and told me that if I needed it, there are many other antidepressants that are safe for pregnant women.

Wife of the husbandit and mommy to the wonderful G-Mack, born 1/30/2011

#6 of 20 Old 09-29-2010, 10:35 PM

I spoke with Dr. Hale at InfantRisk center who said Lexapro was safe for breastfeeding/pregnancy, and all of my doctors seem to agree on that.
#7 of 20 Old 09-29-2010, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, all. I'll pass the info along to my brother. It's definitely been a rough week, to say the least!

Amanda and Dh, ds 09/00, ds 08/03, ds 10/05, and ds 05/08, and 3 :
#8 of 20 Old 09-29-2010, 11:14 PM

Nothing is great, but zoloft is supposed to be one of the best tested drugs on the market and it's pretty safe.

I'm glad they've stopped pushing abortion. I imagine that would have a terrible effect on her emotionally. It just seems counter-productive. I wish her and your brother all the best. It's a hard situation.

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#9 of 20 Old 10-02-2010, 12:17 AM
myk

oh heavens, what a nightmare!!!

for my first pregnancy i was on Effexor, an SNRI (serotonin/norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, similar to an SSRI). for this one i'm on celexa (SSRI). both are considered safe, and if you ask me.. if there are ever any suicidal thoughts it's worth the very slight risk!!! SSRIs in general are considered good options. just for the record, i admitted myself to a psych facility when i was about 7-8 weeks pregnant because of suicidal thoughts, and they INCREASED my effexor from 150mg to 225mg/day. because sometimes, you do what you need to do. no regrets. my daughter is as healthy as can be.

i cannot BELIEVE they were trying to push her into having an abortion. that is so irresponsible!

January 2011
#10 of 20 Old 10-03-2010, 11:56 AM

I've also heard Zoloft as well.
#11 of 20 Old 10-03-2010, 03:58 PM

Currently on Celexa. My doctor said it should be fine. I'm on a low dose, though.

Hope things look up for your brother and his girlfriend.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#12 of 20 Old 10-03-2010, 05:12 PM

My psych does research in this area, and says Zoloft and Lexapro are the safest. Best of luck to your sil, it certainly is rough.
#13 of 20 Old 10-03-2010, 11:09 PM
tzs

i was on lexapro and actually also a benzo (anti-anxiety) last preg. and now. i've also heard zoloft is preferred then lexapro/celexa and i believe there are others they will consider as well.
it's always a risk/benefit decision and in many or most cases for someone who has a significant psychological issue, the risk of not medicating is greater.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#14 of 20 Old 10-04-2010, 08:47 AM

My midwife prescribed me Zoloft.
#15 of 20 Old 02-16-2011, 04:29 PM

I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder about 8 years ago. From the description you gave, erratic behavior after starting an antidepressant, it sounds as though depression is not the correct diagnosis for your sister-in-law. Antidepressants in a person with bipolar disorder can cause manic symptoms some of which are: excitability, rapid speech, recklessness, reduced need for sleep, aggression, and anger just to name a few.

That being said, my doctors decided that my depression is far more dangerous than my mania and prescribed me Prozac with my second pregnancy and Lexapro for this pregnancy. I hope everything is working out well for your brother and his family.

#16 of 20 Old 02-17-2011, 03:45 PM

I took celexa for my last two because we decided the benefits outweighed the risks. Withdrawls are horrendous and when my boys weaned I could see the signs of it. This baby, I stopped taking it (under supervision) in my first trimester and I am doing ok so far. If it gets bad again and probably when the baby comes I'll see about getting back on something. I'm sorry this is happening in your family. I hope things get better hug2.gif

#17 of 20 Old 08-15-2012, 07:34 PM

I recently found out I was pregnant and I take welbrutin and zoloft and my doctor asked me to stop the zolof.. I stopped the zoloft and three days later I had a miscarriage. so hopefully u guys do some more research. God bless.
#18 of 20 Old 08-15-2012, 09:40 PM

I asked the GP doctor 2 weeks ago when I wanted some Welbrutin - he looked it up and said that it was ok for right now.  (I asked for Zyban, but it's the same drug.)

I asked the Pharmasist when I went to pick it up and he said it was fine until the 3rd trimester.

I just need it to take the edge off while I quit smoking.

hang.gif knit.gif chicken3.gif treehugger.gif Kristin, partner to eat.gif Ron who came with DSS7 kid.gif

heartbeat.gifOur first arrived March 2013!! nocirc.gif

#19 of 20 Old 08-19-2012, 01:03 AM

tried to kill myself on Zoloft. Not pretty.

#20 of 20 Old 11-12-2012, 06:00 AM

I was taking paxil when I found out I was pregnant.  Although I immediated weaned myself off for 2 weeks, 2 weeks after that I miscarried.  I later read that there is a 75% increased risk of miscarriage or birth defects in mothers on Paxil...I am absolutely terrified of going back on any type of anti-anxiety or antidepressants again because there is just no way I can ever go through that again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page