How late is too late to switch providers/hire a doula? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 09-30-2010, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess my title says it all. But to reiterate, two part question:

How late is it too late to switch providers?

How late is generally too late to find a doula?

TIA!

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 09-30-2010, 06:12 PM

I had a friend who switched from her OB to a CNM at 40+ weeks because the OB was pressuring her so heavily to induce that she was about to have a breakdown. A week later she went into spontaneous labor and delivered more or less naturally with the midwife.

The moral of the story is, it's never too late to get the birth you want... even if that means switching providers after your due date has come and gone.

Of course, as with everything, the earlier the better because you want to spend some time getting to know the professional(s) who will be at your birth. But I think there's no such thing as "too late."

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#3 of 21 Old 09-30-2010, 06:21 PM

I switched at 37 weeks, maybe it was 38? I can't remember all of a sudden.

After several bad experiences I was questioning my OB, but when I had to go to the ER late in the pregnancy and was treated like cr@p by the hospital staff and nurses, I knew I had to get out. I was about 37 weeks when I saw my new doctor for the first time and I think it was the best decision I could have made.

I know a few people who have switched and were very happy with their decision. Once you know what you DON'T like in a hospital/OB/midwife, it's easy to know what you DO want, and you know exactly what to look for and what questions to ask.

I have never hired a doula late in pregnancy but I'm sure you could find someone willing! If she usually offers prenatal appointments in her fee, you could ask for a discount or ask for postpartum help instead (if she offers such a thing).

Good luck!!!

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#4 of 21 Old 09-30-2010, 06:31 PM

I fired my dr. in the delivery room when my water broke in absence of productive contractions at 41w 2d, and he told me I had 6 hours to deliver before he would intervene (after being supportive of my desire for nothing but necessary interventions throughout my pregnancy). The dr who replaced him...she walks on water in my mind....was fantastastic, and I delivered our daughter naturally (with the help of pitocin) 41 hours later.

I wouldn't recommend waiting until you get to this point, but like a previous poster said, its never too late to get the birth you want, and when you know what you don't want, its important (and easy) to find what you do.

Good luck.

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#5 of 21 Old 09-30-2010, 06:38 PM

I am seeing my new midwife for the first time at 32 weeks. After interviewing her and some hospital staff, I feel so much better and confident that I will have the birth I want.
#6 of 21 Old 09-30-2010, 06:40 PM

I have a friend who switched at 36 weeks from an OB to a midwife. It rarely is too late.

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#7 of 21 Old 09-30-2010, 06:44 PM

Any time you can switch doctors. Doulas I think depends. I am sure you can find one - some of the more popular ones might be booked up, but I bet you could find a doula in training. It's not too late for anything.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#8 of 21 Old 09-30-2010, 07:27 PM

too late? whats that =P

or should I say

its too late to switch providers/hire a doula for the birth... as of the moment the birth happens.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#9 of 21 Old 09-30-2010, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
It's not too late for you!! I'm in your DDC and haven't seen anyone yet.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#10 of 21 Old 09-30-2010, 08:48 PM

I got a doula (in training) about 38-39 weeks with my second.
He was born at 41 weeks.

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
#11 of 21 Old 09-30-2010, 08:49 PM

I just hired a doula the day before I turned 39 weeks. She was the first one I contacted, too.

9/2011 items decluttered
#12 of 21 Old 09-30-2010, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone! This definitely gives me some breathing room. I'm still on the fence about my current provider but I want to wait until after the 12 week appointment to figure out for sure what I want to do. Sounds like I have some time.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#13 of 21 Old 09-30-2010, 09:10 PM

I was unhappy w/ my CNM my last pg and I switched at 31 weeks. It was totally fine and I'm SO glad I did it. It did end up costing a bit of money, bc the contract w/ original CNM was a lump sum, and new CNM discounted, but not a ton, so that is something to keep in mind. Also, when I was finding providers, there were many that wouldn't take me bc they were full or they didn't take moms that close to their due date, so if you have someone specific in mind, earlier is certainly better.

I'm in your DDC and I'm still on the fence completely. In fact, I've kind of got my head stuck in the sand. LOL. I hope to pull it out and pick before 20 weeks.

In terms of doulas, I think it really depends on where you live and how popular doulas are. Here, doulas aren't very popular, and it is common to pick into the third tri. I picked my doula around 33 weeks, but I know in some areas, you need to be on that one.

reading.gifdiaper.gif ♥ baby.gif baby.gif ♥
but a lesson must be lived in order to be learned.
and the clarity to see and stop this now
that is what i've earned (a.d.)
#14 of 21 Old 09-30-2010, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
That's a good point, babygrey. Know that if you do switch to someone who charges a flat fee, it is likely that you'll have to pay for the care you've received thus far and the entire fee of the new MW. It's unlikely that any discount will be given for the 'flat fee' type MWs if you're starting care at 12 weeks (cuz many don't even start care until then).

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#15 of 21 Old 09-30-2010, 11:38 PM

At 12 weeks you definitely have plenty of time. I will just add that if you aren't sure about where/ who you will be switching to you should call around and make sure they don't have rules about it. I know the practice I am currently going to cuts off at something like 30 weeks, can't remember the exact number. So better be safe than sorry, I would just call around to anyone you are interested in and find out if they have restrictions, then there won't be any surprises.

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

#16 of 21 Old 10-01-2010, 02:56 AM

um it's too late when you have had the baby.....

If you can find a doula group they usually can help you find someone for you.

Sooner the better but you still have tons and tons of time

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#17 of 21 Old 10-01-2010, 11:47 AM

It is never too late to switch providers - I have had clients find a new provider at 40, 41 weeks.

Also, as a doula, I usually book up pretty far in advance, but sometimes keep a window open for planned travel that then falls through, or a client has a baby early, or whatever, and i wind up being unexpectedly available for last minute callers. I have had a mama call me at the last minute to see if I was available a week before her due date. I was, because my client for that time period had already had her baby, so we met the next day, and she had the baby the following day. All the stars aligned for that one.
#18 of 21 Old 10-01-2010, 05:44 PM

You have lots and lots of time. I have heard of women switching care providers in labor.

As far as doulas go, I am a doula and I think the latest I have been hired is 38 weeks? I know another doula that will do births if you call during labor, but she charges a greater fee. The longer you wait the less choices you might have, and I know a doula that gives discounts if you sign up by 30 weeks. That being said, most potential clients don't contact me until the third trimester. You have time!
#19 of 21 Old 10-01-2010, 11:21 PM

I hired a doula around 30 weeks and I'm 34 weeks now and in the midst of finding a new care provider. There's not really a 'too late' but the longer you wait the harder it will be to find someone available.
#20 of 21 Old 10-02-2010, 01:05 AM

As a doula, I say there is no such thing as hiring "too late", in the sense that you will most likely be able to find someone even if you are actually in labor (you just have to know how to put the word out). However...

I feel that, as with your OB/midwife, you ideally want someone you trust completely. If you hire a doula at week 38 and hardly get to know her, you take somewhat of a gamble. I do realize that a supportive doula will be beneficial, no matter if you spend 30 min with her or 5 days...but if you're paying $300, $500, $1000 for someone to be your labor support, I would recommend starting your search as early as possible so that you interview at least a handful of doulas and find one that you really connect with.

Our Tiger Cub arrived 12/29/10
#21 of 21 Old 10-07-2010, 01:54 AM

Never!

It is never too late to get yourself the best care possible, period.

User Tag List