Subchorionic Hematoma? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-07-2010, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else had/have this? I had brown spotting earlier this week, so I freaked out and rushed to the doctor. The baby was totally fine, but she said I have a small subchorionic hematoma. She did not seem worried about it at all. Of course, I had to look online, and they say increased risk of miscarriage along with future placental abruption, preterm labor, stillbirth, pre-e, hypertension, fetal distress, low birthweight...awesome. Why do I read things online???

Please someone tell me you've had this happen and everything was just fine, no complications. But be honest with me if that wasn't the case.

Mama to learning.gifJulian Matthew, born 5/10/2011 nocirc.gif  

Hopeful vbac.gif for the next!

#2 of 6 Old 10-07-2010, 08:08 PM

My good friend had one that was more dramatic than what you described. She had heavy bright red bleeding with clots and was sure she was losing the baby. At the ER the ultrasound showed a strong heartbeat and they measured the SCH. They followed the size of the SCH over some weeks and it got smaller and smaller until it was gone around 20 weeks. I believe the bleeding slowed down after a few days and subsided completely after two or three weeks. Her baby will be a year old in December and was born on his due date. Don't worry mama, it sounds as though it is a small one. All the increases in the bad stuff are if it sticks around the whole pregnancy. Yours will likely resolve. Have a happy and healthy pregnancy!

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
#3 of 6 Old 10-07-2010, 08:33 PM

I had a small hematoma with this pregnancy that caused bright red spotting almost daily between 9-13wks. I will be 38wks tomorrow and have had no other problems at all (except heartburn and constipation, but I'm sure those aren't related).
#4 of 6 Old 10-08-2010, 12:41 PM

I had a massive amount of bright red blood with huge clots around 11 weeks and was sure I'd lost the baby. Nope, she was fine! It was a hematoma and I bled/spotted off and on for several weeks after that and it gradually tapered off. I had an ultrasound at 18 weeks and there was no sign of it. I'm 34 weeks today and have had no other complications and my midwife is treating me like any regular low-risk patient. I wish the same for you!

Casey - Mama to my little lovey girl 6-2-07 and my littler lovey girl 11-16-10!
#5 of 6 Old 10-08-2010, 02:06 PM

When I was pregnant with DD, I had a HUGE SCH. I had a lot of spotting, brown and then red. The SCH was about 80%, if you can imagine. The only place that wasn't hematoma was right where the baby had implanted. On the ultrasound, it looked like a deflated balloon. It resolved itself pretty quickly, although I had spotting through week 14 or 16 or so.

When I was pregnant with DS, I had not one single spot of blood.

This pregnancy, spotting started at 6 weeks, and I had some earlier this week at 17 weeks. I had a really bad SCH with a rupture that was diagnosed around 11 weeks. I could smell amniotic fluid. It's complicated this time by placenta previa. But the SCH has healed a couple times. Earlier on, a couple times, I had a pink toilet full of clots after a pee. A follow-up u/s should show whether it's getting smaller or bigger. It's a really good sign if it's healing. My rupture healed itself in about a week.
#6 of 6 Old 10-08-2010, 02:24 PM

I had one with this last pregnancy (and may have had one with DS as well). I had bright red bleeding (WAY more than spotting) at 7.5 weeks that lasted about 12 hours and then just stopped. I've had to losses as well, so when I felt the bleeding, I was sure that I had lost the baby. We went in for an ultrasound and there she was, hearth beating strongly! After that, I never had any more bleeding and by my 19 week u/s, the hematoma had absorbed and was completely gone. DD was born 12 days ago and there were no complications from the hematoma.

With DS, I do not know what I had. At essential 4 weeks, I had what I thought was a period and had not yet suspected that I was pregnant, so I wasn't nervous about it. At 7.5 weeks, I starting thinking I might be pregnant and took a test, got a positive. No one ever mentioned a hematoma at my u/s but I still have to wonder why I bled.

I also think it's interesting to note that my 2 miscarriages, I did not bleed and had to have d&C. My 2 children both had early 1st trimester bleeding and turned out fine. Go figure.

Hope this helps!

Wife to Brian , mother to Xander 10/26/05 and new squishy, Claire 9/26/10 .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page