Pregnancy and hot tubs??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-08-2010, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are your hot tub rules while pregnant? And do you follow them?

I've heard everything from never use them, to no big deal. Some say 104 degrees or lower is fine. Some say after the first trimester is fine. Some say bathtubs are okay, since they cool off (unlike a hot tub.) Others say don't even take a bath!
#2 of 15 Old 10-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Kim

I just had this conundrum a few weeks ago.

My back was aching from sleeping on a hotel bed and that hot tub was calling my name. I went in for under 10 minutes at a time and kept evaluating how I was feeling. Too hot? Flushed? Then I would stay out a good 20 minutes before re-entering.

The hot water felt amazing.
#3 of 15 Old 10-08-2010, 10:48 AM

The key is to avoid over-heating your body.... In a hot tub your body can fairly quickly overcome its ability to keep itself cool, especially when pregnant.

So if you chose to go in I would keep a fair amount of skin exposed to the air, keep it short, and really really keep in tune with yourself.

Baths are usually not as hot as a hot tub (or you can at least chose to not make them as hot), there is less volume of water so they do cool faster and there is not as much heat around your body, usually more body exposed to the air (at least if you are like me and only half can fit under water in the tub at any one time lol). So you body is less likely to get over heated in a bath.

I am avoiding hot tubs (although I don't know I have actually had the opportunity so far this pregnancy) but I love taking baths!

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#4 of 15 Old 10-08-2010, 10:48 AM

I used a hot tub in the second trimester (about 25 weeks) but I only submerged up to my hips.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 bouncy.gif   Pregnant with #2, hoping for a  stork-girl.gif 

#5 of 15 Old 10-08-2010, 10:57 AM

The infertility clinic nurses told me tepid baths only - 103 or lower, for very short periods of time. My midwives said "as long as you don't raise your core temperature, do whatever you normally do."

That said, I use very hot, very short baths for pain management (I have severe fibromyalgia) and my midwives agreed that a few minutes in even a very hot bath to shock my muscles into relaxing would be far preferable to the muscle relaxants and narcotic painkillers that are my alternative. I also take long baths in not-quite-so-hot water for relaxation. Neither one significantly impacts my core temperature, so I'm comfortable with it.

I personally wouldn't use a shared hot tub, though - too many chemicals and germs.

Edited to add: when I'm in a super-hot bath, I keep the window open (and sometimes a fan blowing in the window) and a big glass of cold water next to the tub, and the second I start feeling too warm or my skin flushes, I haul myself out. But then, I also did those things before I was pregnant...
#6 of 15 Old 10-08-2010, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I researched this pretty thoroughly when we were at a hotel fairly recently. The guidelines I read were not to fully submerge-keep your chest out of the water or do not stay in more than 10 minutes, make sure the water is not above 102-104 absolute tops, and to get out if you feel dizzy or light headed.

I got in the hot tub-mostly just my legs. I got in twice for about 5 minutes or less up to my belly and it really, really, really helped my round ligament pain. The hot tub at the pool was actually very cool-the coolest I have ever felt, so I got lucky there. The last one we had been to had a hot tub that could have boiled you alive. It wouldn't hurt bringing a floating thermometer with you.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#7 of 15 Old 10-08-2010, 11:35 AM

I've soaked with all my kids and they are *mostly* normal. I go in fully and just get out when I feel overheated which is quicker then it would be if I wasn't pg.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#8 of 15 Old 10-09-2010, 01:44 AM

I do both hot baths and hot tubs during preg. For baths, I run the water not as hot as I would if not pregnant. For hot tub, I only use the one at our house so I can control the temp, and set it at 98 or 99. That way I can go all the way in and not worry about how long I've been in it and whatnot. It still feels so nice with the bubbles and all.

enjoying motherhood way more than science:
married to DH love.gif (2003) mama to DDenergy.gif(Nov 2008) & DSbabyf.gif   (Mar 2011)

#9 of 15 Old 10-09-2010, 02:02 AM

i would NEVER do 104 degrees while pregnant... no. 100 or lower (keeping your own body temp below 102 is important)

That said, setting MIL and FILs hot tub to 98... I was in it several times during the pregnancy in all three trimesters... including the night before my BFP and the night after my wedding (27 weeks)

As long as it is not too warm, I trust my body to tell me when it is too much (by starting to feel dizzy... then I get out)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#10 of 15 Old 10-09-2010, 12:16 PM

I know I haven't spent the whole pregnancy under 104. I can't really. During the summer our shower/bath only gives us one temperature, scalding hot. I only measured it once and it was at least 107 (the thermometer was still climbing but I didn't want to break it). I try to keep the door open and the curtain cracked but I can't just not shower. Thankfully we'll only be here a few more months while James should fit in the kitchen sink, where I can control the water temperature.

(I don't think the water started to heat up until I was about 3 months. Before then it was ice cold. Now its ever-so-slowly cooling back down.)

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 bouncy.gif   Pregnant with #2, hoping for a  stork-girl.gif 

#11 of 15 Old 10-09-2010, 12:42 PM

I remember reading somewhere that going in a hot tub during pregnancy exponentially increases the risk of the fetus getting spina bifida...

But this is totally a random thought in my head and i could be wrong....

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#12 of 15 Old 10-09-2010, 09:41 PM

i go in hot tubs and have hot baths but I let my body tell me when it's enough... I also don't fully submerge.. if i start not feeling well i get out and cool off right away

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#13 of 15 Old 10-09-2010, 11:09 PM

I still take hot baths, and will go into the cooler hot tubs at our local place where you can rent a tub for an hour out under the stars and they have choices of temps. If I get hot I get out for awhile. If I get hot in the bath, I add cooler water. As long as your internal temperature isn't going up you're ok since that's the concern. I'm always in and out of hot tubs normally when I get too warm and hanging out with my feet in until I cool down, so not much different than normal, just avoiding the super hot tubs is all.

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#14 of 15 Old 10-10-2010, 05:30 PM

I go in our hot tub multiple times weekly. We keep the temp at 98-99 and our chemicals are really low. I usually stay in about half an hour. I probably wouldnt go into a public hot tub just because I dont know how they are maintained or what the temp is exactly.

I love love love our tub and couldnt imagine not using it.
#15 of 15 Old 10-12-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
I've soaked with all my kids and they are *mostly* normal. I go in fully and just get out when I feel overheated which is quicker then it would be if I wasn't pg.
Lol, this has been my experience also. I just trust my body to be my guide... I'll get out when it doesn't feel good anymore!

I also am a regular at the sauna and I did read the research (not just google, ) and concluded that there is 'some risk' but it's slight and even less if you listen to your body. Also factor in what you are used to. I always like it warm- in the shower, hot tub and sauna. My sauna rounds pg are shorter than non-pg. I spend more time in the warm-up room.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page