Is this noraml or should I worry? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-11-2010, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We had our ultrasound today and everything looked great, but I'm a little thrown off.

With DS he measured ahead by 2 weeks at this point in the pregnancy. This LO is measuring exactly on.

I know its normal across women, but is it normal for one women to have such difference in pregnancies?

I guess with continuing to breastfeed I'm just extra worried.

whats your experience?

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#2 of 12 Old 10-11-2010, 04:28 PM

Ultrasounds are not an exact science. They just tell you what most babies would measure by any given date... measuring ahead or behind or right on target does not mean as much as we make it seem like it does.

Women can have varying sizes of babies. My mothers, for example, ranged from just over 5 lbs to 9lbs on the dot (me! =D) I have seen women on here whos babies range between 5 and 11 pounds even... going the whole spectrum of perfectly-healthy-sized babies!

Some women have babies that are always within a few ounces of each other even if born weeks apart (DD1 and DD2 were born 3 weeks apart and were only a few ounces difference... DD1 born at 39w0d being bigger than DD2 born at 41w6d!) Also, DD1 was an inch longer! DS was born just after 40 weeks, was 2oz smaller than DD2 and the same length.

Even with my three being so similar... my next could be several pounds heavier or a few pounds lighter. Theres no way of saying.

So take a deep breath and just be glad that the ultrasound showed a healthy baby!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 12 Old 10-11-2010, 05:03 PM

I always measured ahead with DD #1. This one measured ahead for a while time in the beginning (I went to an OB office for my n/t us and he made it sound like I had a freak baby - "are you sure about your dates?" "can you double check, the baby is measuring really big") but then my 20 week was right on with the dates

I really wouldn't worry. DD was 8 pounds when born, I honestly don't know if I should expect an 8 pound plus baby or a 6 pound baby. My mom had a 5 pound "late" baby, and then I was 9 1/2 pounds!

Also with #1 I gained over 45 pounds, and this one, I have only gained like 15 so far. I was very sick with both, so I can't explain it!

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#4 of 12 Old 10-11-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotablue View Post
We had our ultrasound today and everything looked great, but I'm a little thrown off.

With DS he measured ahead by 2 weeks at this point in the pregnancy. This LO is measuring exactly on.

I know its normal across women, but is it normal for one women to have such difference in pregnancies?

I guess with continuing to breastfeed I'm just extra worried.

whats your experience?
I would not worry about this AT ALL. It's normal for pregnancies to be completely different. Also, u/s are not an exact science. With my first pregnancy, their estimates about due date based on u/s changed a few times.
#5 of 12 Old 10-11-2010, 05:59 PM

Both of my boys measured ahead via US (by a couple weeks or so). I was nursing during my second pregnancy, too, so no difference there (and I was nursing many times a day). I am nursing this time as well, but only once or twice a day. This baby measures right on, and my fundus is always right on or behind a cm or two, whereas my boys were usually ahead. I've raised my concerns with my midwife who says to her hands our baby feels a very appropriate size. Anyway, that is my experience. I think no need to worry too much, but peace of mind is so valuable, so do bring you concerns up with the birth professional you trust.

Kim. My heart is full! Wife to Ray, Mama to 3 boys!  "Big C", our boy with designer genes, "Little C", and "Baby M" 11/2010.
#6 of 12 Old 10-11-2010, 09:51 PM

My dd measured behind for my entire pregnancy, I was worried sick. She was born 21 inches and 8 lb 10 oz. So the u/s or your doc may be off. This baby has been measuring right on so far, which is good. Even if it is accurate, it is completely normal for babies to be different sizes, and to have the baby right on track is great news!!
#7 of 12 Old 10-11-2010, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Well I'm not a professional or anything but isn't measuring right on (or at least within a certain range) what they're supposed to be doing? I've measured spot-on since the very beginning and no one has said anything was wrong with it. A little 'ahead' or 'behind' isn't necessarily a bad thing either. After the first trimester babies grow like individuals and won't all be the same size.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#8 of 12 Old 10-11-2010, 10:48 PM
myk

everybody's different. if your first was measuring 2 weeks ahead, thats unusual - but everything turned out fine an average baby will be smaller, and a smallish baby will be even smaller, but not necessarily unhealthy remember that u/s measurements are most accurate in the first trimester. after that, individual growth will vary a lot! that's why you don't rely on later u/s for dating.

January 2011
#9 of 12 Old 10-12-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillymonster View Post
I always measured ahead with DD #1. This one measured ahead for a while time in the beginning (I went to an OB office for my n/t us and he made it sound like I had a freak baby - "are you sure about your dates?" "can you double check, the baby is measuring really big") but then my 20 week was right on with the dates

I really wouldn't worry. DD was 8 pounds when born, I honestly don't know if I should expect an 8 pound plus baby or a 6 pound baby. My mom had a 5 pound "late" baby, and then I was 9 1/2 pounds!

Also with #1 I gained over 45 pounds, and this one, I have only gained like 15 so far. I was very sick with both, so I can't explain it!
My mom had a late 5 pounder too, my brother and I were at least 7 or 8 lbs I can't remember. So yeah, it can vary greatly!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#10 of 12 Old 10-12-2010, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies

I guess its just that everyone I've heard of weights has babies either all the same size or the next ones are bigger (with the exception of premiees and multiples). I thought each baby was pretty much guaranteed to be bigger or the same size as the last. I though each women had a curve inside the larger curve of typical across women KWIM? My Best friend just had a little girl and she was 2oz smaller than her DS, but that's the same size.

I know in my head that the baby could be any size when born, It just through me off.

I'm starting to get really excited, its amazing how even in the ultrasound I could tell her/his features were different than DS's.

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#11 of 12 Old 10-12-2010, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I was my mother's largest baby by nearly a pound (8lb 6oz) and I was the first.

Statistically I should have been the smallest. First baby, mother under 20, girl, low weight gain, ect. but I wasn't. Biggest baby born in that hospital that day too.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#12 of 12 Old 10-12-2010, 03:13 PM
myk

nope, no guarantee on whether subsequent babies are going to be bigger, smaller, or similar. DD2 seems to be following DD1's growth curve, but who's to say that'll continue for the next 3 months?

January 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page