Reducing exhaustion, anxiety and depression, during pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-13-2010, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Over the last few days, I've been thinking about exhaustion, anxiety, and depression and how to reduce it during pregnancy. This is a list I've come up with for myself. I thought I would share, and I would love to hear other suggestions!

• Learn how to relax! This may be aided by using a program such as Hypnobirthing, Painless Childbirth, progressive relaxation, yoga, mediation, etc.
  • Exercise- even if it is just a short walk.
  • Get out in the sunshine, and/or take a vitamin D supplement.
  • Get your iron levels checked, and increase your iron intake if they are low.
  • Drink a cup of chamomile tea.
  • Take Rescue Remedy as needed.
  • Take a warm shower, or soak in a warm bath to loosen muscles.
  • Get a massage.
  • Get a chiropractic adjustment if you are experiencing back, neck, or hip pain.
  • Face your fears and concerns. Journal. Read "Birthing From Within". Make lists. Talk to a good friend. See a counselor.
  • Reduce your consumption of caffeine, nicotine, carbohydrates, and sugar. This will help keep your blood sugar more stable.
  • Reduce your screen time: Excessive internet use linked to depression, research shows http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...use-depression
  • Make sure you are getting enough sleep. Practice good "sleep hygiene". http://www.sleepfoundation.org/artic...ancy-and-sleep http://www.babycenter.com/0_the-basi...gnancy_7820.bc
Anything else?

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#2 of 11 Old 10-13-2010, 10:52 PM

How much vitamin d? I am taking 1000 to 2000 ius a day right now.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#3 of 11 Old 10-14-2010, 10:28 AM

Guided meditation is definitely helping me. There's a podcast I subscribe to for free--"Meditation Oasis." I don't know that I'm always able to focus on it the way I should, but if nothing else it's a really relaxing way to take a few minutes for myself and reflect on stuff.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#4 of 11 Old 10-14-2010, 03:28 PM

eat and drink frequently

make sleep a priority

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#5 of 11 Old 10-14-2010, 03:48 PM

the warm bath... you can add lavender to it... the scent is relaxing too.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#6 of 11 Old 10-14-2010, 05:48 PM

Thanks -- these are timely and great reminders for me!

Mama to Charlotte (2/14/07) and Julian (11/27/10) both born at home.
#7 of 11 Old 10-14-2010, 05:51 PM

Deep/diapraghm breathing! It gets oxygen to your brain and is very soothing. It's how I wake up in the morning, as I am so NOT a morning person.

Protein breakfast w/B6. I began taking B6 for morning sickness and discovered that it perked up my energy as well. After switching my breakfast from oatmeal to eggs and adding B6 I feel fantastic! This might not work for everyone, but consider your overall nutrition and consider adjusting your diet.

Eat frequently! Helps with blood sugar and avoiding sudden hunger (I tend to not notice until I’m starving, so it’s best to just munch around the clock).

Tap into your sense of empowerment. YOU CAN DO THIS. Just ‘surviving’ this is a huge accomplishment that some people will never know.

Don’t be too hard on yourself. You ARE doing the best you can and you are doing a great job.

Understand that your body is at the mercy of a lot of hormones and uncomfortable physical processes. Anxiety/etc is not your fault. Get help if you need it, and don’t feel weak.

Talk to someone – it’s not silly to voice your concerns if something is bothering you. Even if it’s silly and tiny.
#8 of 11 Old 10-14-2010, 06:42 PM

DHA supplement seemed to perk me up

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#9 of 11 Old 10-14-2010, 07:32 PM

great suggestions!
reading good fiction helps me too...
and allowing myself to go to bed early.
I was found to be low in vit. D and my midwife recommended 4,000 IUs a day. I am able to do half that or so usually and I have noticed a big improvement with my energy and achiness.

homeschooling mama to 8 yr old biggrinbounce.gif with a new little one(5-5-2011) babyf.gif...  h20homebirth.gif

#10 of 11 Old 10-15-2010, 06:32 PM

magnesium is supposed to be a mood lifter too

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#11 of 11 Old 11-04-2010, 04:33 PM

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page