varicose veins on my labia...... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-23-2004, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone else have these, or am I just a freak? I didn't get them with the first preg. I did with the second, but I just figured it was because I didn't get back into shape, and my body hadn't had a chance to recover before I got pregnant again. Well, this time it was over 5 yrs before I got preggo again, but I got them anyway! For the most part, they do not bother me too much yet. But if I am on my feet (like shopping) or if DH and I are intimate, they really ache and hurt. So, can anyone commiserate? Is there anything I can do? They do seem to go away like the same day the babies are born, so I know I only have 3 months to deal with them, but they are annoying all the same. BTW, I have never had hemorhoids, or varicosities in my legs, so I totally atribute the vulvar ones to the huge unnecessary episiotomy that I had with my first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-23-2004, 11:24 PM

I only had a minor tear with my first but did get roids on my bottom from pushing. I developed a varicose vein on my labia about half way thru this pregnancy (but none with my first). It doesn't bother me at all but it did freak me out when I first discovered it. I didn't know that you could get them there! In general I've noticed a lot more "fullness" down there with this pregnancy and some numbness too. So, no, you aren't a freak.

I picked up some stuff called "butt balm" which contains plantain leaves, witch hazel and spring water. You are supposed to put it in the fridge and then soak cotton balls with it to apply to hemorrhoids. I got it specifically for the hemorrhoids I know are coming after the pushing but I bet it would work for relief on the varicose vein too. PM me if you are interested and I'll give you the midwife's address that I ordered this from. It's 7.50 for a 4 oz bottle.
#3 of 7 Old 03-24-2004, 01:22 AM

I haven't tried this yet, but it sonds soothing. Pour witch hazel (yes, like you get at the drug store) onto a pad and stick it into the freezer. Then use it as a compress. I know cold helped my veins a LOT, and I hear the witch hazel helps a lot.

FWIW, I got them with both my pregnancies.

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
#4 of 7 Old 03-24-2004, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I had a monster of one during my first pg. It freaked me out too the first time I saw it! It went away after dd was born, but it did make intercourse impossible the last 4 months.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#5 of 7 Old 03-24-2004, 04:28 PM

Got one, too. I was petrified when I first found it. But now, I just don't even think about it much. I didn't have one with my first pg, but, well, here I am. I don't notice mine too much, except if I'm sitting or standing for too long, or if I lay on my right side, it kinda throbs. I've heard they can also itch, although mine doesn't. Mine is huge, too.

As far as what you can do, there are a few things to help alleviate the pain, but I don't believe they will actually go away until the baby is born.

Avoid crossing your legs.
Avoid laying on your right side (even though you should avoid this as much as possible when pg anyway)
The nurse practitioner told me to get a pad slightly wet with water, freeze it for a bit, and then place in your underwear. The cold should feel good on the varicosity.
My OB told me to roll up a gym sock and place in my underwear. The pressure against the vein should help alleviate the pain.

That's about all I can think of. HTH a little.
#6 of 7 Old 03-24-2004, 05:34 PM

You also might get a pregnancy/belly belt. Sometimes the change in pressure and the support it provides will facilitate better circulation in the lower part of your body.

Varicose veins in the labia are very normal. One of our clients called once, and said "I have grown a third labia! " Now THAT was a big varicose vein!

One mom we had had a varicose vein that ran along the vaginal opening, and it tore during birth. The mw put pressure on it, then repaired it, no problem. It was a little more blood than we normally see at a birth, but nothing dangerous or anything. That was the only time I have seen a varicose vein actually tear; all the other times, they haven't caused anything more than a little discomfort during pregnancy.
#7 of 7 Old 03-24-2004, 05:52 PM

I'm so glad this thread was started. I have noticed this dull ache during pregnancy that I get after I go jogging, and often after intercourse down there...I just have to sit or put pressure on it to get relief. I keep telling dh that it feels like my labia are bruised or something. I haven't actually gone and looked yet though, but what I'm feeling sounds just like what you guys are talking about...time to inspect, I guess! :LOL Actually, now that I think about it, sometimes I get that same achiness on the first day of my period too. :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page