Thrush....help - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-18-2010, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a appointment today and I have thrush. Midwife wrote a script for some mouth swish and swallow, also said she wants to treat me for yeast in my lower half ( she said if you have it in your mouth you usually have it there too?) And wrote some cream for the lower.

Is there anything I can do besides take the scripts? I'm not just big on scripts....thanks
#2 of 7 Old 10-19-2010, 11:04 AM

When babies get thrush in the mouth, some people recommend gentian violet--you paint the insides of their mouths with it. But then your mouth will be purple... I think it's behind the counter at the pharmacy.

They say it works really well and quickly.
#3 of 7 Old 10-19-2010, 09:50 PM

I had thrush when I was pregnant last time around. Gentian violet worked well. I swabbed it on in conjunction with taking caprylic acid supplements. It comes from coconut oil - here is some info:

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/caprylicacid.htm

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#4 of 7 Old 10-20-2010, 01:34 AM

You could also try eating a lot of unsweetened, plain yogurt and putting some on your vulva and in your vagina. You can kind of spoon some into a tampon applicator and do it that way, or just try to get as much in as you can. It's messy, but it really works and it's gentle. Definitely use a pad for a day or so after.
Another thing is that you could eat a lot of garlic and take a clove, poke some holes in it or score it a little bit with a knife, then insert it into your vagina. Do this before you go to bed, because you'll be able to taste it in your mouth.
#5 of 7 Old 10-20-2010, 01:39 AM

I used gentian violet as well. They didn't have it at chain pharmacies like CVS or Walgreen's. I had to go to a locally owned non-chain pharmacy. I painted it on my nipples, then nursed the baby. I did it at night. I wore one of my husband's old ratty t-shirts. (It does stain, but eventually washes out.) You don't use much, just dip a q-tip in and paint it on. It feels better almost immediately. I was amazed at how quickly it worked.

Roslyn (46) Whitney (45) Luke (5/04) (boy due 5/11) 
#6 of 7 Old 10-20-2010, 09:22 AM

I've used nyastatin during this pg a lot ... I have a yeast problem ever since starting steroids for asthma a few years back.
#7 of 7 Old 10-20-2010, 11:35 AM

Further to aimeem's suggestions...you can buy acidophilus and garlic suppositories at natural health places, that might be an alternative to try instead of the cream (and less messy than using yogurt and real garlic). I used them during last pregnancy before my GBS test, but the package actually was marketing them as a yeast treatment (those probiotics and garlic are handy, they fight everything!).

Another natural oral treatment is citricidal grapefruit seed extract...however, I have NO idea about whether its okay in pregnancy, you would have to look into that. Jack Newman's Candida Protocol has all the info on using the grapefruit seed extract externally (on the breast - you could probably swish and spit for your mouth) and internally...
http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page