Mild cramping, dr says "we're worried, but not too worried" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-21-2010, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 13 weeks pregnant. Early morning I woke up with sharp abdominal cramps, mostly on my right. I drank a glass of water and laid back down. After that, the cramping let up a bit, it's mild, and just in the lower part of my belly - kind of feels like I'm getting my period. I called the after hours nurse around 7am. She thought I might have a bladder infection - seems like I am peeing more and I have the feeling I have to pee all the time (although, not much different from other days!). Made an appointment with a family dr at my clinic - my midwife and the other OB I like to see were out today

Got the results while I was at the clinic and no bladder infection. I'm kind of shocked. And then the dr says to me about my cramping (because i still have it) "we're worried, but not to worried," tells me to keep my midwife or him posted if things get worse, shakes my hand and walks out the door. I'm sitting there going "what the heck does that mean?"

I had some cramping with baby 1 @30 weeks, which they also thought might be related to a bladder infection or dehydration. My midwife has said before I might feel more cramping with the second. Any thoughts though? Should I pursue this more or just rest for the remainder of the day and see how things progress? I hate when I can't see my midwife...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2010, 02:58 PM

If it were me I'd want a vaginal exam to make sure I'm not dilating. A friend of mine had similar symptoms, ignored them, and ended up in PTL.

Good luck, my thoughts will be with you.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

Old 10-21-2010, 03:36 PM

I would request an ultrasound but I've had a loss. Also, did the dr do a vaginal exam? Are you having any spotting or bleeding?

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 10-21-2010, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

I've had no bleeding or spotting, just pretty constant menstrual-like cramping. It's actually right around where my incision is from my previous c-section. I was kind of surprised the dr didn't do a vaginal exam with my history of preterm labor. He didn't even bring my chart in, I noticed. WTF?

I'm considering calling the clinic back and trying to get a hold of my midwife. I don't know how possible that is though, the appointment desk said they thought she was at a conference or something. She is not in on Fridays, so I'm looking at Monday as the earliest I can see her, unless I can somehow get a message to her today.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumada View Post
I've had no bleeding or spotting, just pretty constant menstrual-like cramping. It's actually right around where my incision is from my previous c-section. I was kind of surprised the dr didn't do a vaginal exam with my history of preterm labor. He didn't even bring my chart in, I noticed. WTF?

I'm considering calling the clinic back and trying to get a hold of my midwife. I don't know how possible that is though, the appointment desk said they thought she was at a conference or something. She is not in on Fridays, so I'm looking at Monday as the earliest I can see her, unless I can somehow get a message to her today.

Sumada- I have had alot of the same cramping. I am 17 weeks today. I also had a 4 week bleed from 12-16 wks, along with my cramping. My midwife says they I will have more cramping b/c this is number 2 and I had a c/s with number 1. I have noticed that if I drink extra water it is not as bad.

I would ask about being checked, just to make sure nothing is going on. Hope all is well, and the cramping lets up for you.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:45 AM

I'm almost 21 weeks and I've had cramping off and on since about 6 weeks pregnant. They have let up the farther along I get but like you it used to feel like i was going to get my period every day. I guess it can't hurt to get checked. I've told my midwives about it and they don't seemed to concerned at the moment.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:18 AM

Well...if you are pretty sure this isn't "just normal pregnancy cramps", I would (and this is me here) call the office where my ob/midwife is and tell the scheduling lady, "I HAVE A HISTORY OF PTL AND AM CRAMPING REAL BAD. I WOULD LIKE TO BE SEEN ASAP. Thank you." And see what they say. The customer is always right, right? Grrrrr!
Old 10-22-2010, 01:21 AM

Since it's right over your prior c-section, could it be scar tissue stretching? I had a lot of scarring from my first c-section. My old OB, who was SUPER experienced and has birthed ALOTTA babies, said he had never seen so much scar tissue. I also had a couple nerves twisted up in it, and it caused me a lot of pain, but mostly in the later months.

Hope that's all it is. Pregnancy is fraught with weird feelings in the uterus.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:18 PM

um, cramping is normal. especially in the first trimester/early 2nd. everything is still stretching out and moving around. unless you have cramping with blood, i wouldn't worry. how much water are you drinking? if you're getting half your weight in ounces, then you're good to go! if not, then cramping is a good sign that you need to drink lots more. i'm nearly 18 weeks and still get crampy just about everyday, though mine have been feeling more like braxton hicks lately. baby is kicking like crazy and my appointments have been great. no sense in stressing yourself out. cramping is normal!!

mommy to "mine" (7), "his" (5), and preggers with "ours" due march 2011!!! 

heartbeat.gifIts a GIRL!!!!

User Tag List