How much and what kinds of maternity clothes do you really need/like having? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 10-21-2010, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went through all my maternity stuff today since my regular stuff is starting to get uncomfortable, and hardly any of it fits. I'm a few sizes smaller this time than in the past, so I have to start over with a maternity wardrobe.

I'm going shopping this weekend to pick up at least a few things, but I was just curious how much and what kinds of things you find to be the most useful? I'm a stay at home mom so probably don't need a ton of stuff, though I will need a few nicer things for church, date nights, etc.

Thanks!

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#2 of 36 Old 10-21-2010, 08:09 PM

I would look to ebay.
I bought some more wintery stuff this time, because I've never had a winter baby before (2 summer pregnancies so mostly summer clothes).
I got some great deals on "lots" of stuff. Most of the stuff I like some was just OK but the deals were so good I couldn't pass them up.
I'm sure I have too much, because I love shopping, but I was careful to buy things in my size and the next size up for the end. I also tried to by maternity tops that have cross fronts so I can wear as nursing tops for the first few months too.
You can spend $200 on ebay and get A TON of clothes, or just a few things at the gap new (I really like their long and lean maternity jeans but they are $68, gross)

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
#3 of 36 Old 10-21-2010, 08:15 PM

I am living in the maternity leggings. They look really cute with a tunic top and boots. The secret fit belly pants by Motherhood are nice. They have a thin belly panel that can be worn all the way up or folded over without any bulk.
Old Navy and Motherhood both had some cute dresses that would be great for church or a night out. Since I will be heavily pregnant through winter, I splurged on a maternity coat and I am so glad I did. Like you, I'm also smaller this time around so nothing from previous pregnancies fits. Oh, you might need a sweater to layer if you get chilly.

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#4 of 36 Old 10-21-2010, 08:22 PM

Jeans! That is definitely what I needed specifically mat last time. Otherwise I just wore longer tops that hugged my belly. Unfortunately I will need winter stuff this year so I am considering getting some warmer shirts and maybe a jacket. I second ebay because I refuse to pay a lot for something I will wear a few times tops. Plus mat clothes are made so cheaply and dont last.

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

#5 of 36 Old 10-21-2010, 08:32 PM

picked up some leggings... look for deals craigslist and stuff like that...

I live in yoga pant skitrts and t-shirts......

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#6 of 36 Old 10-21-2010, 09:02 PM

I went to good will and got 3 pairs of pants. I bought some shirts at Target on sale for less than $5 each. Thats about all I have, besides the shorts I bought for this summer. I bought a nursing bra, as the girls have gotten alot bigger and well I prefer the barely there sports bras that I'm almost hanging out of to the structureness of a nursing bra.
#7 of 36 Old 10-21-2010, 09:45 PM

I'm living in non-maternity yoga pants and long tee shirts. I'm a sahm though so I don't really have to worry about looking particularly professional.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#8 of 36 Old 10-21-2010, 09:54 PM

1-2 pairs of jeans!

Other than that I just bought/ buy oversized tops. If you sew you can add an elastic to just below the bust of any old shirt and it looks great.

I agree that most maternity clothes are made poorly.

Oh and Pj's pants. That's generally what I wear when I'm not out.

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#9 of 36 Old 10-21-2010, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I hate jeans now. They never fit right.

Maternity-wise I have a few pairs of shorts and pants and a nice selection of shirts. Most are hand-me-downs I got off of craigslist.
Non-maternity I have some yoga pants and other comfortable pants I bought cheap at Walmart. They fit better than some of my maternity (wearing a pair right now)!

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#10 of 36 Old 10-22-2010, 12:06 AM

i have to find a great, comfortable bra that can also be used for nursing.

i hate maternity pants, but am going to have to get some since i am working full time this pregnancy. i am excited to shop old navy and motherhood. i may splurge and go to anne taylor because that is where i get a lot of my regular clothes (on clearance with coupons of course).
#11 of 36 Old 10-22-2010, 12:11 AM

Hello! If you lived near me I'd let you come over and go through my boxes of maternity clothes! I have every size (except for XS, puh-leeze!), every season, and many different styles!

I guess you could think like a build-a-wardrobe-with-mix-n-match-basics thing, couldn't you? Jeans, neutral slacks, plain or striped tops, a cardigan, a skirt, with a few bright accessories - scarf, necklace, whatever. And since it's going to be winter - a sweater/long sleeved shirt or two, some legging's/tights, maybe a coat? Then you'd have all your basics, and if you get to splurge on anything else along the way (yay) you can make it a bright special piece, or make it mix-match with everything else.

Can I get a job doing this?? I love clothes!

Edit: You get a date night!?
#12 of 36 Old 10-22-2010, 01:10 AM

boy do i abhor maternity clothes.
i was hoping to be able to get away with not wearing them at all like i did with my first, but at week 10 i was already uber uncomfortable in my prepreggo jeans. thus far i've bought a few pairs of jeans and a pair of dressy pants. hopefully ill be able to keep it to a minimum. i dont work.. im a fulltime student and i'll be pregnant throughout the winter so im hoping ill be able to squeeze my fatbody into my size small sweaters.. but i dunno about that i may just have to borrow some of DP's!

old navy has the best deals.. but im finding that their jeans while insanely comfortable dont fit very well im a size 3 normally, but they only have even number sizes so i got a size 4 and i find myself struggling with the damn waist all day, pulling it up so that my pants aren't hanging off my butt.

someone mentioned maternity coats on another board.. and i didnt even think about that. the ones i've seen are hideous though i think im going to buy a regular coat i like and just have it altered

mommy to "mine" (7), "his" (5), and preggers with "ours" due march 2011!!! 

heartbeat.gifIts a GIRL!!!!
#13 of 36 Old 10-22-2010, 01:12 AM

I dunno, I try to buy clothes that are well made even if they are a little pricier. I like them to fit me well too. The thing about ebay lots is that they are usually a few seasons behind, which is fine for basics, but .. yeah..So many maternity things seem like bags on too, if they arent cut well. Gap has always been solid for casual clothes that last my whole pregnancy on a limited wardrobe and dont look totally tattered and pilled by the end. I wouldnt buy anything from motherhood maternity ever again. My mom bought me so many outfits from there and almost all of them fell apart!

Basics for me.
Tanks - Non ribbed. I wear them under things or use my existing cardigans, just not buttoned. Liz lange ones are great because they have spandex in them and you can always find them on the clearance racks for 3 bucks. I also like the gap ones with the ruched sides and no ribbing. I buy them in store though and usually find them on clearance for no more then 7.99

I love love love the gap pleated hoodie and the gap yoga pants. I had two pairs of the yoga pants my last pregnancy and wore each atleast a couple days a week.. lol.. they didnt fade and they had minimal pilling or wear. The only reason I bought more this time is because I dropped sizes.

5 Regular shirts that had necklines that made it easy to nurse in. Usually trapeze style, or empire waist with a v neck I could wear a tank under... Those shirts worked till the end of my 7th month and in the post partum.

1 pair of jeans (Given, I dont wear alot of jeans)

Couple pairs of maternity leggings

(This one is my own personal style must have, but this style of pants is so versatile and if you get the right kind of fabric you can wear them post partum too.) 1 pair black and 1 pair brown pallazo style pants in some type of stretchy fabric. These look good for dressier occasions with a tank, a cardigan and a necklace

A couple of the long style Glamor Moms - great for sleeping, nursing, hanging out in.

3-4 "maternity" tops that look great from 6-9 months.
#14 of 36 Old 10-22-2010, 01:17 AM

i second the leggings!! i live in leggings!

what are you ladies doing about bras?? my breast have grown exponentially and my pre preggo bras aren't cutting it. i bought a few more in a bigger size earlier on, but now i'm already spilling out of those too! bra's aren't cheap! im close to saying forget it and letting them go free lol!

mommy to "mine" (7), "his" (5), and preggers with "ours" due march 2011!!! 

heartbeat.gifIts a GIRL!!!!
#15 of 36 Old 10-22-2010, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbyfar7 View Post
i second the leggings!! i live in leggings!

what are you ladies doing about bras?? my breast have grown exponentially and my pre preggo bras aren't cutting it. i bought a few more in a bigger size earlier on, but now i'm already spilling out of those too! bra's aren't cheap! im close to saying forget it and letting them go free lol!

Glamormoms. I love those things. If you dont have to wear a super confining bra but you want support, something you wont grow out of and something you can use postpartum you cant beat them.
#16 of 36 Old 10-22-2010, 03:11 AM

I have purchased nothing maternity except a couple of tank tops from Target. Otherwise, I wear longer t-shirts w/ skirts and cardigans. I have some longer sweaters, too. And the only shoes I wear are a new pair of Dansko clogs, since they are incredibly comfortable & allow room for my feet to swell a bit. I think most maternity wear is just so awfully ugly (except for the really high dollar stuff, which I can't afford).
#17 of 36 Old 10-22-2010, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artichokie View Post
I'm living in non-maternity yoga pants and long tee shirts. I'm a sahm though so I don't really have to worry about looking particularly professional.
I'm also doing the yoga pants and tees.
#18 of 36 Old 10-22-2010, 07:59 AM

I was really lucky to have a woman who is my size give me her huge maternity wardrobe. Out of the stuff I got, the stuff I wear on a regular basis is listed below (business casual is pretty much the standard at my job and I don't have many occasions that require dress up)

2 pairs of business style pants
1 pair casual pants
2 dresses
2 Bee bands from target
2 stretchy skirts
7 work tops
5 weekend tops (from nicer going out stuff to tank tops)
2 pairs of yoga pants
2 sweaters

I also bought 2 cheap bras from target that I'm surprisingly happy with, a big non-maternity nightgown, and my lovely aunt bought me a high end maternity jacket-something I never would have gotten for myself. For me this is a great amount of stuff, but if I had to pay for it all I could get along with less-one dress, one skirt, fewer tops.

Most of my stuff is from Pea in a pod, target, and old navy. The quality is okay, but not great. I would have been annoyed if I had bought a maternity dress at full price and had it start looking worn after a few washings.

Blogging at http://chronicladybug.blogspot.com

#19 of 36 Old 10-22-2010, 08:41 AM

Around here my options are pretty limited to either Gap/Old Navy, Motherhood or Thyme maternity (unless I want to go to the boutique $$$ places!!). I agree with the consensus about Motherhood, their stores are messy & the fit/quality of the clothes sucks. Old Navy is up & down (what's with the puffy sleeves??) though Thyme fit me really really well last time. Unfortunately I'm down 2 sizes from last time too & all of my friends are a size smaller than me. I think we'll be able to share tops but I'll have to buy my own pants.
I think my big slurge this time around will be a maternity/baby wearing coat.
http://www.suseskinder.com/ this one is pretty sporty but I think I'll get a TONNE of use out of it next winter.

Carolyn - Mama to DD Kailyn (08/08) & due May 18/2011
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35belly.gif*** 40
#20 of 36 Old 10-22-2010, 09:15 AM

Try Craig'sList/Kijiji. All of my maternity clothes came from there. People are so eager to get rid of beautiful stuff - $40 for a garbage bag full.

All I'll be buying myself new this pregnancy is a new pair of jeans. And some boots.

I like Motherhood for tops and Thyme for pants.

Old Navy is good, but I find the quality poor.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#21 of 36 Old 10-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Kim

I have:

- 1 pair of jeans (Gap bootcut.)

- 1 pair of stretch wool dress pants (Gap, again. Love the way my butt looks in these.)

- 1 denim skirt (Gap! From 10 years ago. Still cute with tights, boots.)

- Variety of pre-pregnancy t-shirts and sweaters, plus some hand-me-overs from friends.

This is my third pregnancy. I had passed along ALL my old maternity clothes to friends and my sister about 6 years ago. Well, the clothing that held up both in style and quality was GAP! My friends all wore them and loved them and now they are back to me to use and love again. I wouldn't say the same thing about my Target or Motherhood maternity clothing...

If you order online today from Gap, you can get 25% off your entire order. That makes their most expensive items which are usually in the the $70 range about $50. In my case, it's so worth it...these are the pieces I go to again and again and again.
#22 of 36 Old 10-22-2010, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the great ideas! I think I have a better idea of some specific and practical things to look for. Some jeans/pants, skirt, belly band, cardigans, tanks, and a few shirts that can mix and match. I love cardigans during pregnancy, one great thing about being pregnant in winter! My 19yodd is going shopping with me. She loves clothes and shopping and has great taste, so she's happy to help me. We have a Target, Old Navy, Motherhood, and Kohls all close together, so hopefully I'll have at least a little luck. Our Gap stores here don't carry maternity unfortunately. I'll also check out Craigslist and Ebay.

Thanks again! I'm excited about seeing what all's out there this time.

#23 of 36 Old 10-22-2010, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingsparklz View Post
Hello! If you lived near me I'd let you come over and go through my boxes of maternity clothes! I have every size (except for XS, puh-leeze!), every season, and many different styles!

I guess you could think like a build-a-wardrobe-with-mix-n-match-basics thing, couldn't you? Jeans, neutral slacks, plain or striped tops, a cardigan, a skirt, with a few bright accessories - scarf, necklace, whatever. And since it's going to be winter - a sweater/long sleeved shirt or two, some legging's/tights, maybe a coat? Then you'd have all your basics, and if you get to splurge on anything else along the way (yay) you can make it a bright special piece, or make it mix-match with everything else.

Can I get a job doing this?? I love clothes!

Edit: You get a date night!?
That's sweet of you! It'd be fun to go through someone else's closet, lol.

Yeah, we get a date night pretty much whenever we want, usually once every week or two. One of the nice things about having older teens.

#24 of 36 Old 10-22-2010, 02:24 PM

So far I've got some maternity jeans and some stretchy yoga pants. Mine are full length and black and I think they don't look too bad worn with a nice top and a cardigan, or you can go casual with a t-shirt. Unless they get too tight, in which case you'd need much longer tops.

I've got a few tops and a couple of tank tops for layering under too-short tops (one white one black). The key for me is to get nice vibrant colours especially through the winter, and really any time of the year I find it cheers me up to have some bright colours.
#25 of 36 Old 10-22-2010, 03:38 PM

I am making due with stuff that is 2 sizes to big right now with the help of a belly band from Target to keep it up. I am a jeans and tshirt kind of girl, so that is what I have. Nothing but jeans and tshirts. Most pf my stuff is from Motherhood, but I did get a few things from Target & JC Penney and they are nice too. We are far from a motherhood, so I just waited for a good sale at JCP because Target's selection sucked.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#26 of 36 Old 10-22-2010, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
This is my first and it took me a while to figure out what worked for me. I LIVE in the under the belly maternity leggings from Old Navy. They're like $10 and I'm wearing them to death. For jeans I did splurge on the $70 skinny "jeggings" from Gap, and I've absolutely gotten my money's worth out of them. They have a panel in the back, not the front, so they actually have front pockets and a zipper and button. The panel has adjustable elastic so I've been able to let them out as I've gotten bigger. Only complaint is that the elastic sometimes gets twisted inside the panel, but it's not a big deal.

For tops, I've had the best luck at H&M. They carry a ton of these stretchy tunics that are plenty long to cover the belly, I just buy one size up from my pre-preg size. They are $10-12 each, I have probably five in different colors. Those tunics + leggings + boots = perfect fall maternity outfit. And there's at least some chance that I'll wear them post-pregnancy, since they don't have that tell-tale rouching along the sides. I fortunately have had no occasion to wear anything fancier, although my mom bought me an excellent maxi dress that could probably be dressed up for something. For my baby showers I wore aforementioned tunic, leggings, and heels.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#27 of 36 Old 10-22-2010, 05:12 PM

In past pregnancies I was a grad student or a WAHM and I was able to rely on hand-me-downs and thrift-store finds. This time I really wanted to look more professional. And I hate shopping! So I made one trip to Motherhood around 9-10 weeks (i got big fast!) and bought 5 v-neck t-shirts, 2 skirts and a pair of shorts. I love the Secret Fit belly panel on their skirts. When the cool weather hit in Sept, I broke down and bought a cardigan to wear over the tees and a long denim skirt. I have LOVED having just a few things that all look good and mix well together. I wear the same things over and over but I've gotten a lot of compliments. In fact, I am seriously thinking I need to overhaul my post-baby wardrobe in the same way. 5 outfits and nothing else in the closet-- it's so easy to get dressed in the morning!
#28 of 36 Old 10-22-2010, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies View Post
In past pregnancies I was a grad student or a WAHM and I was able to rely on hand-me-downs and thrift-store finds. This time I really wanted to look more professional. And I hate shopping! So I made one trip to Motherhood around 9-10 weeks (i got big fast!) and bought 5 v-neck t-shirts, 2 skirts and a pair of shorts. I love the Secret Fit belly panel on their skirts. When the cool weather hit in Sept, I broke down and bought a cardigan to wear over the tees and a long denim skirt. I have LOVED having just a few things that all look good and mix well together. I wear the same things over and over but I've gotten a lot of compliments. In fact, I am seriously thinking I need to overhaul my post-baby wardrobe in the same way. 5 outfits and nothing else in the closet-- it's so easy to get dressed in the morning!

See, that's the way I tend to be too. I have all these clothes and tend to wear my same few interchangeable favorites over and over. I have a long denim skirt that I got at Motherhood last time that I loved, but it's just too big. I see they still carry the same one, so I'm definitely going for a smaller size one of those.

#29 of 36 Old 10-22-2010, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like I should add leggings to my list. It's the 80's all over again, lol.

#30 of 36 Old 10-23-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibusymomto5 View Post
My 19yodd is going shopping with me. She loves clothes and shopping and has great taste, so she's happy to help me. We have a Target, Old Navy, Motherhood, and Kohls all close together, so hopefully I'll have at least a little luck. Our Gap stores here don't carry maternity unfortunately. I'll also check out Craigslist and Ebay.

Thanks again! I'm excited about seeing what all's out there this time.
Looks like you're set with all those stores! Sure would be fun to come along, especially with a teenage daughter!

(You know in my head I am still 19.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page