how can I avoid an induction when I have Gestational Diabetes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-22-2010, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so worried about getting induced with this pregnancy. My first pregnancy was induced at 37 weeks because of Pre-E. I'm trying my best to avoid Pre-E by keeping hydrated and eating enough protein. I had gestational diabetes with the first pregnancy but I controlled it with diet alone and it was fine. This time, I have to take insulin at bedtime to help control my fasting numbers. I'm just so worried that they'll want to induce me and I so want to have this baby natural. does anyone have any suggestions or just helpful advice. I'm so bummed about how medicalized this pregnancy is. It's driving me crazy.

TIA
#2 of 5 Old 10-22-2010, 01:55 PM

your story sounds a lot like mine this time around.
i had gd with my first but, like you, i controlled it with diet and exercise.
this time i also couldnt get my fasting numbers in check so i am on insulin only at night. my midwife has said that they won't let me go past 40 weeks...and i am currently at 36. i really don't want to be induced. last time i had my daughter naturally at 40w and a day. ugh.
my plan is to try all the tips i've heard for natural induction when i hit 39 weeks...evening primrose oil, sex, walking...whatever it takes to get this baby to come out without medical intervention.
i know i will have an ultrasound at 38 weeks to check the size of the baby. maybe if it is small enough they will let me have a bit of extra time...

they are also making me have 2 NSTs a week...are you?
out of curiosity - how much insulin are you taking at night?
#3 of 5 Old 10-22-2010, 01:59 PM

Just refuse the induction. If you're doing the NST's and baby is fine, they can't say anything other than give you the run down on the risks. Once they tell you the risks, just decline the induction. You have been told the risks and have made your decision. Yes, they will say all the scare tactics. I wasn't on the insulin, I was on the glyburide. I only have 1 NST a week and that is enough. I can't imagine the inconvienience of going back and forth to 2 a week!

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#4 of 5 Old 10-22-2010, 02:49 PM

I thought most of the risks related to GD were UNcontrolled GD. So maybe you can argue that yours has been under control the whole pregnancy. I don't think big babies occur from CONTROLLED GD.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#5 of 5 Old 10-22-2010, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

I know I'm worrying a little too early. I have to go next week for an ultrasound to see how everything is going. My placenta is a little low so they want to keep check on that as well.

Ecky - I'm on 32 units at bedtime of insulin which kinda sounds like a high number to me. I'm not sure though.

I definitely will do my best to decline an induction. When I talk with my husband about stuff like this, I tell him I'm going to decline this or that and then, when I get to the doctor's office, I cave.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page