Best first trimester breakfasts - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 10-26-2010, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey everyone,

I'm not having any nausea and hopefully I won't, but I'm definitely noticing that when I'm hungry, I'm really really hungry. I have to start carrying around snacks so I don't get caught off guard.

And I need savory, protein-rich breakfast. So, no cereal, which I tried to avoid for b-fast before pregnancy anyway b/c it doesn't seem that nutritious.

What have you all found to be helpful breakfasts to give you a good start to the day, and make you feel better?
#2 of 36 Old 10-26-2010, 11:17 AM

eggs

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#3 of 36 Old 10-26-2010, 11:25 AM

See, I couldn't even look at eggs my entire first trimester. Just the thought made me gag.

Pretty much anything you can stomach is best. With my first pregnancy I could only handle tortilla chips and OJ until around noon. Not nutritious...but better than yakking everything back up.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#4 of 36 Old 10-26-2010, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I couldn't eat eggs either. Peanut butter on toast was my best friend.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#5 of 36 Old 10-26-2010, 11:46 AM

PB on multigrain or whole wheat toast.

Mom to energy.gif(11/08) and  babyboy.gif  (4/11)

#6 of 36 Old 10-26-2010, 12:17 PM

Whole wheat toast with slice of cheese on it was about the best I could manage... sometimes I could keep down some baked beans too... baked beans may sound strange for breakfast, but it's actually quite popular in the UK, and it's warm, comforting and lots of protein. Scrambled eggs would also work for me sometimes. First tri can be challenging, good luck!!
#7 of 36 Old 10-26-2010, 12:29 PM

Peanut butter and apples, peanut butter and toast, hummus on toast, occasionally a salad, an egg if you can stand it, yogurt (sprinkled with granola), peanut butter and banana sandwich, smoothie made of banana, milk, flax, peanut butter, frozen berries, and kelp powder in the blender... breakfast is actually the one meal I DON'T have a problem with right now, haha. It's the other ones when I can't bring myself to make anything!
#8 of 36 Old 10-26-2010, 12:40 PM

I usually have 2 fried or scrambled eggs with a slice of whole grain toast. On days that I want something different I'll have peanut butter on toast, but I really feel the best when I eat the eggs. I have a tendency for low blood sugar, so I have to avoid too many carbs first thing in the am. Later in the day I don't have to be so careful.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#9 of 36 Old 10-26-2010, 01:49 PM

I gotta agree with the eggs. I couldn't stand the thought of them, but then forced myself to eat them, and was absolutely stunned when they stayed down and staved off a good part of the nausea that I normally experienced mid-morning. I found immediately during this pregnancy, that if I didn't have high protein meal for breakfast I was pretty much in trouble for the rest of the day. Oh and I had tremendous sugar aversions, so PB and toast made me sick :/ My M/W suggested Toast with almond butter, but I never got a chance to try it... Hope you start feelin' better soon!!

Wife (32) of 8 years to DH (33), Mom to Logan geek.gif (7), and Tristan and Cael, twins.gif the wee ones, born 3/18/11! And OMW a surprise babyf.gif due 2/2013!
#10 of 36 Old 10-26-2010, 02:22 PM

I could mostly only eat pb or almond butter on toast too.

For a while I was making French toast to get some eggs in slightly disguised. Instead of syrup, I would microwave some frozen blueberries until they got soupy and pour those on top. It was great for a few weeks, then suddenly wasn't ok anymore.
#11 of 36 Old 10-26-2010, 03:08 PM

If you can get eggs down they really are ideal.

I have 1.5-2 every morning (sometimes I make 3 to split with my DS), followed by a whey protein isolate shake with almond milk, strawberries, banana, and whole milk/greek yogurt.

This is followed by some water and B6, which really helps that protein work it's magic AND will quell mild to moderate nausea!! (Which helped me to eat throughout my 1st tri).

I typically need a small snack before lunch. Lunch is more protein and maybe some low-starch veggies. (Ie, today is chicken and spaghetti squash with pasta sauce!).

Coming up with original meal ideas is too much work, so it's always eggs. Sometimes scrambled (sauce/salsa/etc can be added, I like a touch of syrup!), or fried, or in cupcake quiches with bacon and veggies.

Greek yogurt makes a great snack for the morning or afternoon.
#12 of 36 Old 10-26-2010, 03:14 PM

I second the greek yogurt. If you have a Whole Foods near you, they sell a brand called Skyr.is, and in just one 6 oz. container of yogurt, it contains 22 g of protein! (That is, the plain flavor). It is so rich and thick it kind of tastes like/has the consistency of sour cream, so it may be really gentle on your stomach. Eggs are what I eat when I'm not eating the yogurt for breakfast as far as an ideal protein source, but I never had m.s....maybe eggs combined with whole wheat toast may make it easier to take down if you start getting m.s?
#13 of 36 Old 10-26-2010, 03:27 PM

I 2nd the Greek yogurt. Some brands come with the yogurt and fruit topping that you can mix in. Or you can just buy a big plain container and add honey or whatever you'd like.

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#14 of 36 Old 10-26-2010, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
eggs don't work for me... :Puke
i haven't been able to eat many eggs since pregnant with my son...they made me throw up at the very thought of them.

i think oatmeal is a good one, though the only time i tried eating it i threw it up...i don't think i ate enough of it and i think i ate too late.

tortilla chips, triscuits and cheese...pumpkin pie...

toast and peanut butter

mama to 8 year old h  and 3 year old z

#15 of 36 Old 10-27-2010, 08:15 AM

On weekends, I've been eating bagels with cream cheese. Having an empty stomach makes me quesy. During the week, I have cereal at home around 6 and then lately I've also been getting an egg, potato and cheese breakfast taco at work around 9am. I never really cared for bfast tacos, but for some reason, now they taste really really good.

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#16 of 36 Old 10-27-2010, 08:28 AM

Oddly, normally I really dislike eggs but during my last pregnancy a fried egg (completely fried through I have to add lol any less and...ick ick ick) on a slice of whole wheat toast always worked wonders for me. And it made my blood sugar happy lol so I ate that a lot...

I say whatever you feel like you can get down that early works for you. Don't sweat it too much if it's not perfectly "balanced and healthy", you can make up for that later in the day. Mornings are just hard! You do what you have to do lol

C ~ mama to (16), (13), (9) (5)

#17 of 36 Old 10-27-2010, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! Mostly I find myself craving the dinner from the night before - like homemade dal (lentils) or casserole or something. I love eggs and sincerely hope I don't develop an aversion. I'll try to eat them even if I do

Still feeling good, although maybe a little more up and down in the tummy.
#18 of 36 Old 10-27-2010, 09:37 PM

the only way i dont feel severely nauseous is literally by eating around the clock and i eat a huge break fast.. or maybe i should say breakfastS

0700 - as soon as i wake up the very first thing i do is get a bowl of cereal. Envirokids koala crisps/soy milk

0800- head out and stop by my favorite local deli and get oatmeal with cinnamon /honey and a raisin bagel with egg/cheese/ketchup and a fruit salad. also i usually start sipping on my red raspberry leave tea which i try to drink throughout the day.

0900- yogurt and another fruit salad

amazingly enough, eating like this has kept m/s away during the day and the sad part is all this food and im not even full after i eat it! im satisfied, but ready to eat again relatively soon after. now i only have to deal with m/s in the evening. and eating alot at night only makes it worse

mommy to "mine" (7), "his" (5), and preggers with "ours" due march 2011!!! 

heartbeat.gifIts a GIRL!!!!
#19 of 36 Old 10-27-2010, 09:47 PM

I wouldn't force yourself to eat anything that gives you the slightest bit of grossness, that's for sure.
I ate a lot of toast with mashed avocados on them. Or bagels. Carbs.
When I could stomach a fried egg, I would eat one. Usually I couldn't.
I found fruit juice to help, lemonade even.
I was one of thse people as well who kept off nauseau and vomiting by eating pretty much from morning to night...so lots of breads and bagels and potatoes. yum.

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
#20 of 36 Old 10-27-2010, 10:44 PM

blech avocado...

seriously, pre preganancy i could eat avocados around the clock with no problem.. i LOVED them. as soon as the egg was fertilized, avocado was the first aversion i had. then the onions. onions and avocado ugh. if i could remove every single one from the face of the earth.. i would be the happiest woman ever.

mommy to "mine" (7), "his" (5), and preggers with "ours" due march 2011!!! 

heartbeat.gifIts a GIRL!!!!
#21 of 36 Old 10-27-2010, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Eggs - I either crave them or can't stand the thought of them. Sometimes an egg fried in butter is JUST what I want... at other times it sounds way too greasy, and I hard-boil a few and have them hot or cold with plenty of sea salt.

Today I had homemade multi-grain bread fried in butter. For some reason, it really hit the spot.

Some mornings, I just nibble on cheese (sometimes cheese spread with Vegemite) or feta.

Eating cottage cheese straight out of the carton, salted, is an option too. Sadly I went from loving that to loathing it in the space of a few spoonfuls...

I mgiht try the PB sandwich tomorrow. I'd forgotten that PB = protein!

ETA: Ooh. Hummus? Hummus mixed with yoghurt is good. You could have it with crudites or crackers or just bits of bland toast, if that's all you could stomach.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#22 of 36 Old 10-27-2010, 11:19 PM

I forced myself to eat two scrambled eggs on a toast sandwich this morning. Did NOT want the eggs, but I knew they'd be good for me, so I made it happen. And wow, I felt so much better today! I had more energy and didn't get queasy at all. I'd heard that eggs help a lot when you can eat them, and it worked for me... hopefully my body will learn that they help and I won't be so disgusted by them from now on.
#23 of 36 Old 10-28-2010, 08:38 AM

bit of a bizarre one, but I've been having lentil and rice salad (made the night before) - just that with a light olive oil and lemon dressing and cilantro. It's a bit heavy going, and I have to lie down to eat it but it does help with horrid all-day m/s. I struggle to get eggs down and anything sweet doesn't do me any good, but lentils seem to make a difference.
#24 of 36 Old 10-28-2010, 09:00 AM

Another vote for PB on whole-grain toast! That has been my best friend for the last few weeks.

Also, heritage multigrain flakes with pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds, berries, and almond milk. Probably pretty high-carb, but I'd like to think all the fiber and the seeds slow the absorption. The same add-ons with oatmeal or other hot cereal would be nice. Isn't buckwheat cereal low glycemic? Think I read that somewhere.

Eggs I've had a few times, but more as a mid-morning "second breakfast", or later in the day, like a frittata for dinner. I can't deal with them (the sight or standing around cooking them) first thing in the am!
#25 of 36 Old 10-28-2010, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Love the lentil salad idea - mostly b/c I love lentil salad and dont eat much meat. but b-fast today was a small piece of chicken and rice with a little salad. basically dinner for breakfast seems to be my MO.
#26 of 36 Old 10-28-2010, 12:46 PM

I normally do (when both pregnant and not) eggs with avacado and tomatos. Sometimes some wheat toast and/or yogurt. I did have m/s my entire pregnancy with #2, but I was still able to eat eggs, and if it wasn't eggs then it was yogurt.

~Attatchment and Natural Parent from instincts not from books to my 2 boys~ Childbirth Educator & Placental Encapsulation Professional
homeschool.gif familybed2.gif homebirth.jpgribbonpb.gif
#27 of 36 Old 10-28-2010, 03:38 PM

I'm also a definite hearty, savory breakfast person. For a while in the first trimester all I wanted was egg mcmuffin type sandwiches. Didn't want eggs on their own but I ate a lot of egg/english muffin/cheese/fake bacon sandwiches.

The weird thing is that pregnancy seems to have given me more of a sweet tooth and also made me want some more grainy, fruity things--so I also went through a big cereal phase--for a week all I could eat was Basic Four.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#28 of 36 Old 11-15-2010, 10:13 AM

Three words.  Grilled. Cheese. Sandwiches.  Its all I could stand.  Oatmeal blah...  Which is odd because I ate it every morning before.

#29 of 36 Old 11-15-2010, 06:32 PM

Oatmeal with frozen mixed berries, heated up. I add nuts and pumpkin seeds.

Soft boiled rather than fried eggs, because I can't take the grease of fried or scrambled.

Turkey sausages. Pregnancy has made me crave salt.

Pears. Yogurt and granola.

#30 of 36 Old 11-15-2010, 07:41 PM

I couldnt do eggs after 8 weeks, they just completely grossed me out.  I could do scrambled tofu instead with veggies on a toasted bagel.

Smoothies with hemp protein powder or sun butter for protein, yogurt, bananas and some chocolate syrup.

Sun butter and apple slices with crackers and some cheddar cheese.

Hummus and Lavash from Trader Joes

Oatmeal with almond milk, honey, a dash of cinnamon and some sliced almonds

Bananas, honey, dried cranberries, walnuts and a little honey

Peanut butter balls (I use sun butter or almond sometimes too) basically, quick oats, honey, pb, flax seeds mixed and made in balls.. you can add puffed rice cereal if you want chocolate, cocoa powder, different buts, sunflower seeds.. dried chopped fruits, etc.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page