Zofran ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-26-2010, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have extreme morning sickness. I have been in and out of the hospital for the last week with IVs. I have never been able to tolerate anti-nausia meds as they accually make me go crazy. Last night, the doctor decided to try out Zofran since I was in a safe environment (the hospital). and it worked!!! No reaction and it is really helping

I talked to the doctor about the safety of this medication and she said it was fine and they give it to women all the time.

I was hoping I could hear from some of you that are taking Zofran or did with a prior pregnancy. I just want to make sure I am taking something that is safe.

Thanks, Megan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 10-26-2010, 01:39 PM

I am taking zofran... but it isn't working for me

I had hyperemesis with dd1 and was close to it with dd2. None of the natural treatments worked. I was hospitalized with dd1 in fact and I knew that taking zofran would be safer than what led to that hospitalization! So, this pregnancy I made an appt with an OB the second I found out so I could get on zofran.

I am so glad it's working for you. Unfortunately, I am still throwing up daily (which is better than every single time I eat, drink, breath, move...) and the side effects suck (take a stool softener!) Yes, though. If nothing else works it is much safer than risking dehydration due to constant puking.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#3 of 13 Old 10-26-2010, 01:57 PM

I took Zofran with this last pregnancy and I'm holding a healthy baby. I agree with the pp that the side effects SUCK, but I lost less weight than I did with my first (zofran-less) pregnancy... and it allowed me to continue nursing my toddler, so I feel like it was worth it. nak

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
#4 of 13 Old 10-26-2010, 03:00 PM

I have taken zofran with both pregnancies - first one for 26 weeks and this one for 20. It worked for me. But the constipation was pretty horrid, as in causing other ER visits because I couldn't get THAT under control with magnesium supplements, colace AND probiotics. Some people don't get it as bad as me though. Take the least amount you need to be effective.

I would rather be constipated, I guess, instead of throwing up.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#5 of 13 Old 10-26-2010, 03:36 PM

I'm 26 weeks, still on Zofan. Constipated, for sure, but I only throw up once a week or so, unstead of 8 times a day. Still often nauseated, doesn't alleviate that for me all the way, I still have to constantly keep my stomach half full, but it does stop the vomit.
#6 of 13 Old 10-26-2010, 04:34 PM

I took it for three pregnancies and it was the only thing that worked. I was on Reglan for a little while this time, but it made my nursing 2.5 year old have tics, so I stopped it ASAP. Kids are all healthy.

Jessica - Mom to DD (17), DD (15), DS (4), and DD (2)!

#7 of 13 Old 10-26-2010, 04:47 PM

30 weeks here, still on Zofran part of the time, first baby but I'm getting kicked like crazy and my midwives say the baby and I are both doing fine. The constipation IS pretty bad, but I'm able to mostly manage it with taking some extra fiber and making sure I drink a ton of water. There are a lot of days when I can't manage to eat without the Zofran, so I'm very grateful to have it as an option.
#8 of 13 Old 10-26-2010, 04:48 PM

Like stormgirl, I am in my 26th week and still taking it! I rarely throw up now but if I skip it too many times in a row, I get really gaggy and sometimes throw up. So I try to take it as needed now and skipping doses DOES help with the constipation a little. But I only started skipping doses in the last few weeks. It was a life-saver.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#9 of 13 Old 10-26-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATINEE View Post
I took it for three pregnancies and it was the only thing that worked. I was on Reglan for a little while this time, but it made my nursing 2.5 year old have tics, so I stopped it ASAP. Kids are all healthy.
I think I am going to ask about Reglan if I am still sick at my next appointment or when I run out of Zofran whichever comes first since it is not really working for me.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#10 of 13 Old 10-27-2010, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replys. It looks like Zofran is a super common medication.

I have definitely developed an upset stomach from this med but, I am at least only throwing up a few times a day now compared to all the time. I am still losing weight but, not as much. I try to eat something every 2 hours but, I can only handle crackers and toast.

I am 8 weeks. My doctor said it peaks around 9-10 so I am gearing up for next week!

Thanks everyone!
#11 of 13 Old 10-27-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post
I think I am going to ask about Reglan if I am still sick at my next appointment or when I run out of Zofran whichever comes first since it is not really working for me.
I was also on Phenergan at some point, so you might want to try that if you haven't already. My dr just stressed with the Reglan to be watchful for the side effects (tics are the only one I remember) and to stop the meds immediately if I got them. I see ads on TV from time to time from lawyers looking for people who have had long term side effects from it.

Jessica - Mom to DD (17), DD (15), DS (4), and DD (2)!

#12 of 13 Old 10-27-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATINEE View Post
I was also on Phenergan at some point, so you might want to try that if you haven't already. My dr just stressed with the Reglan to be watchful for the side effects (tics are the only one I remember) and to stop the meds immediately if I got them. I see ads on TV from time to time from lawyers looking for people who have had long term side effects from it.
Reglan really affected me mentally - it sent me into a deep depression. Yes please be watchful of side effects

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#13 of 13 Old 10-27-2010, 09:46 PM

Zofran was key to the pregnancy with my first son - he's 7 and wonderful

I only used it a little with my second son, but I think I was mostly afraid of what happened with the first & it didn't really kick in with the second.

Good luck!

Alaskan Mom to 2 boys

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page