gallbladder issues 3rd trimester - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-29-2010, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi all,
so does anyone have any advice on how to deal with an acute gallbladder attack at 32 weeks...

mostly my issues are eating...I'm so hungry but my midwife wants to see me on a bland diet with no fats, nuts, sugars and meat (which I don't eat anyways) and basically just stick to the basics of bread, applesauce, bananas and rice (I think she calls it the Brat Diet).

That said I have done some reading and found that the following foods/herbs are supportive for gallbladder inflammations etc.
beets, carrots, pears, apples, honey, rice, yogurt, cottage cheese, dandelion, burdock root, nettles, alfalfa, spearmint.

There has just got to be more...but everytime I try to push it and have something else, it's instant pain. The only thing I've been able to do is almond milk and it's actually surprisingly soothing.

Any advice?

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#2 of 9 Old 10-29-2010, 12:17 PM

I had severe problems starting at 8 weeks (last 2 pregnancies) that are now gone. I did this. It took me awhile to work the nerve up to do it (at that point, morning sickness and aversions were really in full swing) and I only did it for 3 weeks, not 6, but it was enough to stop the attacks and misery and allow me to eat the fat my body needs and I want.

I should also mention that my last pregnancy I did not know about the bean thing, so I ended up at the hospital several times and with 3-4 hour severe attacks almost daily. I tried everything that pregnancy, including herbs and homeopathy, to no avail. I was shocked that the bean thing worked. Before I started it, I was on the verge of surgery, as even an apple started an attack. After 4 days, I was eating much more variety with no signs of any GB problems and it just got better and better. I'm so excited to share it! I have no doubt it will work for anyone. So glad there's this approach, especially in pregnancy .

Blessed helpmeet to my man, mama to Cody, Sarai & newly born Rebekah
#3 of 9 Old 10-29-2010, 12:49 PM

8 oz of unfiltered apple juice with 1 T of apple cider vinegar. For me, it stops the pain almost immediately.

I've never seen that stuff about beans before. That's interesting!

And I know this is totally contrary to all the normal gallbladder advice, but I only get gallbladder attacks when I'm eating too many carbohydrates and not enough animal fat. As soon as I went on a low-carb diet my gallbladder problems really cleared up. It wasn't until I started slipping back into eating more carbs and sugar (because I was feeling so good) that my gallbladder started acting up again. Again, take that information with a grain of salt...however, it's definitely true for me.
#4 of 9 Old 10-29-2010, 02:08 PM
myk

i'd be cautious about herbal supplements.. double check that they're ok for your pregnancy. one thing that helped me was taking lecithin capsules every time i ate. it acts as an emulsifier, which is also the function of the bile that's forming the gallstones.. so if you eat something that has good healthy fat in it, it's a bit less likely (in my experience) to trigger a gallstone attack.

i've had my gallbladder out before getting pregnant actually.. but i still occasionally get attacks because there are stones in my liver! lecithin seems to be the best trick to help it out.

January 2011
#5 of 9 Old 10-29-2010, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the replies...I have a call into my naturopath as well and hope to have more details soon...

the herbs that I am taking are all safe for pregnancy and are herbs i have used in my pregnancy at other times.

the ACV is really really helping. It keeps the worst pain under control for me

the stuff about the beans is also quite interesting...I plan to look into that more.

thanks all!

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#6 of 9 Old 10-30-2010, 04:37 AM

I started have GB problems in my 3rd tri with my second. I started taking the herbs you mentioned (+ ginger), plus just really watched the "bad" fats, i.e. fried foods, fatty cuts of meat...I'm pretty sure I've read that dairy is not good if you have GB issues.

The herbs really helped. In fact I actually stopped having acid reflux as well!

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#7 of 9 Old 10-30-2010, 10:23 AM

I haven't had issues with GB when pregnant but I had a rough two years+ when I was a teen until GB disease with diagnosed and I had my GB taken out. There was NO other route for me at that point.

My biggest advice would be to find your trigger foods and avoid them like mad. My mom's was lettuce, mine was coffee. Everyone is different. Acidic foods usually make GB attacks worse.

Good luck! I remember how much this hurts!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#8 of 9 Old 10-30-2010, 11:44 AM

My GB problems actually went away with pregnancy but after having my DD they came back with a vengeance. I ended up having no other option except having it removed. Sorry I can't help or give you any advice. ((((HUGS)))) GB issues REALLY suck!
Posted via Mobile Device

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#9 of 9 Old 10-31-2010, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family4Christ View Post
I had severe problems starting at 8 weeks (last 2 pregnancies) that are now gone. I did this. It took me awhile to work the nerve up to do it (at that point, morning sickness and aversions were really in full swing) and I only did it for 3 weeks, not 6, but it was enough to stop the attacks and misery and allow me to eat the fat my body needs and I want.
That's very interesting about the beans! Does it matter how you eat them, i.e. just the straight beans or can you make beans and rice or throw them in a tortilla with some salsa? My mom has recently been having GB issue so I'm going to send her that link.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page