Black Tea?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 11-01-2010, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I always thought it was just the caffeine that made black tea "bad." But the other day I saw it on a website about herbs during pregnancy listed as an "unsafe" herb.

Any thoughts about this? I had just started letting myself enjoy a cup a day. (And of course I think about all the women in heavy tea-drinking countries thinking they're probably not abstaining during pregnancy.)
#2 of 12 Old 11-01-2010, 10:55 AM

I've also read that there are some herbs to be careful with. However, tea is such a diluted form of the herb that unless you were drinking many many cupfuls, I don't think there's a problem.

I'm avoiding caffeine this first trimester, but even that is probably not a big deal if you're having just one cup a day. The study that shows a connection to miscarriage mentions over 200mg of caffeine a day, and one cup of tea has far less than that.
#3 of 12 Old 11-01-2010, 01:57 PM

Hmm, I'm curious why that source deemed it bad. I've been having either a cup of black tea or half a cup of coffee per day, just for caffeine limiting reasons. Well that and I don't want to have to pee even more often.
#4 of 12 Old 11-01-2010, 02:13 PM

I've never heard that before, and have actually seen black tea (especially decaf) repeatedly on "safe" lists.

I drink decaf black tea on a fairly regular basis, I'm not too concerned. I wouldn't even be concerned about regular (not decaf), I just try to limit my caffeine to when I feel like I actually "need" it (headache or particularly sluggish, etc).
#5 of 12 Old 11-01-2010, 08:23 PM

I just read today that black and green tea are not recommend in pregnancy because the antioxidents are so high that they make it impossible for your body to absorb folic acid and that babies of women who drink black or green tea during their first trimester have an increased risk of neural tube defects.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#6 of 12 Old 11-02-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollytheteacher View Post
I just read today that black and green tea are not recommend in pregnancy because the antioxidents are so high that they make it impossible for your body to absorb folic acid and that babies of women who drink black or green tea during their first trimester have an increased risk of neural tube defects.
This is interesting. I never heard this about black tea before. I'm assuming it inhibits absorption of folic acid when taken at the same time? It's not a good idea to have tea around the same time as your vitamin anyway since it can inhibit iron absorption. Also curious at the level of intake that would be needed to have this effect?
#7 of 12 Old 11-02-2010, 12:19 PM

Now one of the things I've read is about how dairy affects the antioxidants in tea. If I recall correctly it was something about how putting milk in your tea takes away the antioxidant benefits? My tea of choice is normally chai (with milk, although I don't put milk in other kinds of tea) so it would be interesting to know how this affects the theory.
#8 of 12 Old 11-02-2010, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

I have heard similar versions of these things. I have heard that green tea inhibits absorption of folic acid (never heard about black, though!). I have also heard that adding dairy to tea decreases its acidity (which Dr. Weil thinks is a good thing--that's who I heard that from)--but not about the antioxidant thing.

I just keep thinking about the countries where tea consumption is high--Russia, England, Japan, China, etc. I can't imagine women there not drinking tea during pregnancy and there is no baby-crisis (that I know of) in these countries as a result.
#9 of 12 Old 11-02-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayray View Post
I have heard similar versions of these things. I have heard that green tea inhibits absorption of folic acid (never heard about black, though!). I have also heard that adding dairy to tea decreases its acidity (which Dr. Weil thinks is a good thing--that's who I heard that from)--but not about the antioxidant thing.
The studies done on green tea and folic acid were done with the equalivalent of 6 CUPS of green tea per day. I've never heard of black tea being "bad." If anything, I've heard it used as a lower-caffeine alternative to coffee. Unless your're chugging tea by the gallon, you should be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayray View Post
I just keep thinking about the countries where tea consumption is high--Russia, England, Japan, China, etc. I can't imagine women there not drinking tea during pregnancy and there is no baby-crisis (that I know of) in these countries as a result.
ITA. Women have had healthy babies for thousands of years eating all kinds of diets. I don't deny myself much; I stick to the "everything in moderation" school of thought.

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

#10 of 12 Old 11-02-2010, 11:34 PM

I love my black tea.

I have been drinking it since I was nine, and never stopped when I was pregnant.

The only concerns my midwives had about it was that excessive caffiene can lead to low birthweight. I give birth to moose-babies, so, um, even if it shaved a full pound or two off them, it wouldn't be a problem.
#11 of 12 Old 11-03-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDivineMrsM View Post
ITA. Women have had healthy babies for thousands of years eating all kinds of diets. I don't deny myself much; I stick to the "everything in moderation" school of thought.
that's me! I've just started picking up my tea drinking again now that I'm into my second trimester. I like to have a cup of black mango tea at work in the AM because it is so COLD in the office.

Lisa mama to Adrian born 3/09 by unnecessarean
#2 is coming in May 2011! planning for a home vbac.gif
#12 of 12 Old 11-05-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollytheteacher View Post
Good thing I avoid folic acid then, huh?

I take folate itself, because I am one of the third of the population who doesn't properly convert the synthetic folic acid into the usable natural folate. I keep an eye on folate levels, and they have been fine. So if tea interferes with absorption of folate, it hasn't been a significant issue for me.

-----

My first pregnancy, I lost the taste for tea entirely. And DS had a folate-deficiency mid-line birth defect anyway. But I didn't know then about the difference between folate and folic acid, and about my genetic status. And I didn't know that birth control pills deplete folate to such an extent that it can take months to get up to a healthy pregnancy level. If I knew any of that, maybe it wouldn't have had to happen.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page