Forum Jump: 

Old 11-02-2010, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
#1- 25 hours natural
#2- ~8 hours induced
#3- ~6 hours induced
#4- ~8 hours natural UC with posterior baby and waterbirth.

I'm hoping for another 6 hour labor. Sounds weird, but I need time for my mom & midwife to get here! My mom had one 1 hour labor with her #3 and the rest of us were 36-8 hours long (including #4!). Don't know what the deal is with that one!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't had an *exceptionally* fast labor yet, but it's something that's definitely on my mind.

They've been 30-something hours, 8 hours, 6.5 hours, and about 16 hours. That last one involved cord issues that I think played a big part. Being an hour from the hospital and often home alone with 4 kids, I really hope for nothing shorter than 4 hours. I'll put in a bid for 5.

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

Old 11-02-2010, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
DS1: 9 hours from AROM, 3 hours of active labor
DD1: 2 hours from 1st contraction to baby
DD2: 2 hours from 1st contraction to baby
DS2: 24 minutes from 1st contraction to baby

#4 was a wild ride!

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 11-03-2010, 01:17 AM

Sounds like position in key! Is there anything you can do to help baby get in the right position?
Old 11-03-2010, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
Sounds like position in key! Is there anything you can do to help baby get in the right position?
The chiropractor helped me a lot

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

Old 11-05-2010, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
#1 was 7 hrs start to finish (Water broke and I was having a 'backache' that started getting worse. Went to the hospital 2 hrs later when I started feeling it more; pushed about 15 min?)

#2 was 5 hrs start to finish (Had prodromal labor before though and had been dilating little by little for over 2 wks)

#3 we'll see in April!

I really would like to hear more about the positioning!

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
Old 11-05-2010, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
I have heard the theory that subsequent labors are faster and babies are larger. I know we haven't been tracking the weight but it was true with mine.

#1 my 7 hr baby was 5lb2oz
#2 my 5 hr baby was 6lb14oz
#3 debuts in April

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
Old 11-05-2010, 03:23 PM

nak
my first i had 12 hours of "labor" but only 4 was what i considered labor. bloody show and contrax that felt like menst. cramps 12 hrs before that gradually increased. 4 hours before birth my water broke and things got fuzzy. pushing stage felt pretty long to me since i did not feel any urge to push, but MW gave me a target sensation and after a little work he was here. it was not that bad. transition felt like forever, and i remember being so hot during pushing, but it was not that hard or painful.
With #2, i had 1 hour from backache to baby. it was insane. i thought i would go fast but still have plenty of warning, like with ds1. only warning i got was a foul mood the day before. woke up with a backache, 15 min later knew i was in labor, and after that it was just one massive slam of contrax afetr the other. i thought i was in for hours of that so i was pretty freaked out. at the 45 min mark i yelled to dh that it felt like transuition but it could not be, lol, but it was. as soon as that passed i was totally calm and relaxed. got the urge to push, and ds2 was born in 2 super gentle, easy pushes with not so much as a skid. i was 100% intact. mws got there about 30 min after he was born.

ETA - both boys were almost exactly the same size. DS1 was a half ounce heavier and 1/2 in taller.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
Old 11-05-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyms View Post
I have heard the theory that subsequent labors are faster and babies are larger. I know we haven't been tracking the weight but it was true with mine.
certainly not true for my mother or myself.

I was moms #2 at 9 lbs... all the others were smaller than me with the last two (of 5) being the smallest (not twins, born 2 years apart but same size)

for me

#1 was 7 lb 3 oz (21 hour induced labor)
#2 was 7 lb 9 oz (8 hour labor, 3 that actually felt like labor)
#3 was 7 lb 6 oz (12 hour labor)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:00 PM

#1 was 21 hours~ about 17 active, weighed 7.3
#2 was 17 hrs, weighed 8.9
#3 was 12 hrs~ about 6 active, weighed 7.2
#4 was 1 hour 24 mins!!, weighed 8.6

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
Old 11-05-2010, 06:08 PM

I wish I could keep testing this

#1 - induced @ 38 wks and change for pre-eclampsia, 9 hours, 2 of them pushing. Was 3-4 cm and 80% when we started pit. AROM 2 hours later at 6 cm.

#2 - less than 30 minutes. finger tip dilated at 37 wks, never checked again (checked at my request because I'm too curious for my own good) 3 contractions, then my water broke. My midwife estimates I dilated from about 3-5 in the first 3 contractions, then 5-7 when my water broke, and in the next 3 (one of which was on the phone with her) went from 7-10. Labor began at 3:05, baby was born at 3:30 or 3:33, we aren't exactly sure. Two different clocks lol

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
Old 11-05-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemarie42 View Post
#1: 30 hours (heavily augmented labor d/t HBP), 37 weeks
#2: 4 hours (delivered 10 min. after walking into the hospital), 40 weeks exactly. Prodromal labor for about 2 weeks.
#3: ask me tomorrow. ;-) Prodromal labor from 36-41 weeks. Hoping for a quick one, but not counting on it; as the pp said, #3 is supposed to be a wild card and so far this pregnancy has been.
#3 was about 6 hours, at 41 weeks, with maybe 4-5 hours of good prelabor right before. Pushed much longer than #2 (about an hour), but Sam is over a pound bigger and his positioning was a little off.

Anne-Marie
expecting #3 October 26, 2010
Old 11-05-2010, 10:52 PM

#1: 7 hours (including 1.5 hours pushing)
#2: 11 hours (water breaking to delivery)
#3: 26 hours (posterior, cervical lip)

Brackin
Old 11-05-2010, 10:55 PM

Also, mine definitely got larger:
#1: 7 lbs. 6 oz.
#2: 8 lbs. 2 oz.
#3: 9 lbs. 9 oz.

Brackin
Old 11-06-2010, 02:00 AM

DD1 - 5-6 hours, 7lbs, 7oz
DD2 - 100 minutes, 8lbs even

I'm kind of scared to think about a third kid. DH is convinced it's just going to drop out while I'm grocery shopping or something.

obstruct livery vehicles

Old 11-06-2010, 09:56 AM

Mine got faster and larger also all with varied cord size that didn't seem to effect the speed of birth adversely.

#1 4hrs - 7lb 6oz average sized cord
#2 28 min - 8lb 12oz ridiculously long cord
#3 18 min - 10lb cord short enough I had to hunch over really far to before the placenta came

My water broke about 10 hrs before labor started with my first, My water breaking was the start of labor with my second and with my third my water didn't break until he was on the way out. The very fast labors are extremely intense and nothing is soothing at all. At the time it seems like it might last forever and that fear still hasn't left me from the last one and he's almost two now. I vaguely remember my first being a more peaceful birth. I did try to slow my third down but couldn't tolerate being in water or any position but standing. Probably needless to say, the last two were unassisted because no one could make it here in time. With my second the midwife showed up 1 hr after he was born and we didn't call anyone for the third. When near the end with my third, anytime I would leave the house I would think ahead about what my plan would be if I went into labor where every I was going to since my second had come so very fast.

I'm thinking my fourth might come in my sleep, lol.

belly.gif to  jumpers.giflol.gif wonderful people with  baby.gif on the way!

Old 11-06-2010, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I've only had one, but it makes me a little worried about ridiculously fast labors in the future. I had him at home at 41w3d in water, he had both fists at his shoulders (midwes ended up having to reach in and turn him because he was stuck) and a very very short cord (it broke when he came out). Active labor was about 6 hours and I was in denial for 1-2 of those.

Ideally I'd like 4-8 hour labors in the future so there's time for the midwives and our moms to get here and for the pool to be filled and get used. I am a little reassured because I used Hypnobabies the first time and there is a visualization exercise. My labor was exactly as long as I had visualized it (same time of day and day of the week too!) and so I've been working on the visualization exercise since pretty early this time hoping it works as well as last time.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
Old 11-07-2010, 12:47 AM

#1- 10 hrs. start to finish
#2- less than 4 hrs. start to finish
Hoping #3 will be fast!!

Mommy to Layla 11/06, Eliza 5/08 and baby girl at the end of February....

Old 11-07-2010, 10:12 AM

ds1: 5 hours--but really 3 hours active
ds2: 2 hours
ds3: 3 hours
ds4: 6 hours, and felt endless after my quicker previous labors.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
Old 11-07-2010, 12:05 PM

# 1: 12 hours
#2: 1.5 hours
#3: ??

Due Nov 2010 with baby #3
Old 11-11-2010, 07:25 PM

#1 was weird: 20-odd hours from ROM to birth, but contractions only started after getting pit about 18 hours in. From first cx to baby was 3.5 hours. Crazy.

#2, HB, was 7 hours from ROM to birth, but only about an hour of challenging labor. So technically longer, but way, way easier.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

Old 11-11-2010, 07:43 PM

First labor and delivery from start to finish- 4.5 hours- twin girls born at home
Second labor- 1 hour total (painless too) from start to delivery- waterbirth
Third 4 hours from start to finish- waterbirth
Fourth labor- 2 days of mild contractions- 4 hours of active labor and delivery- another waterbirth
Back labor with all!
Old 11-11-2010, 07:45 PM

Ds1, 8 hours

Ds2, 2 hours

both at home with midwives

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

Old 11-11-2010, 07:54 PM

My labors start 'low and slow' with a long early phase, a lot of off and on until I reach 4 or 5 cms.  Definitely faster with #2, so if I have a 3rd I imagine it will be as quick or quicker.

1st:24 hrs of 'early' labor and 14 hrs active, pushed for 1hr (epidural, acynclitic baby)

2nd:15 hrs of 'early' labor and 3 3/4 hrs active, pushed for 10 minutes (homebirth)

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
Old 11-11-2010, 07:56 PM

Interesting "data" everyone has contributed.

My history:

#1 - 8 hr induced+epidural, 45 min pushing - 8.5

#2 - 8 hr home waterbirth, 4 hr pushing, asynclitic head - 9.5

#3 - 27 hr home birth transfer, 7-8 hr pushing -10.14, HUGE head

#4 - 3.5 hr UC, 3 pushes - 9.12

#5 - 4 hr (not including 1 hr from when water broke before contractions started), 2 pushes - 8.2

#6 - 3 hr, 1 "push" - 8.3 --this was the strangest one.  I had no show at all and contractions felt very different.  Not much pain, other than a burning sensation around my lower abdomen.  I was so completely convinced I had hours to go, and birthed minutes after I told my midwife that.  I hadn't taken my underwear off, she pulled them down and broke my water as I birthed standing.

#7 and 8 due in March.  If visualizations work, and I believe they do, I am visualizing my water breaking before labor, so I can get myself down to the birth center, where my preferred 3 midwives will be able to attend us in time.  If they have to come up here, it's likely most or all will miss it, which is not my ideal for twins!  Oddly enough, my midwife has a way higher than average stats on waters breaking before labor, and she does no prenatal exams unless requested. 

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:11 AM

Obviously by the date this email comes late but perhaps others who want to know these things might find responses helpful.

My first labor was 3 and a half hours, the second 2 hours.  No epidural, vaginal delivery.

Both very similar.

Pains started a minute apart and 4 cm dilated when reaching the hospitals because they were close.

Made the mistake with the first labor to believe what I was told, that it would take 17 hours and that I should take a bath or something because it would be awhile before delivering.

I did and in retrospect was I crazy or what.  Washing one's hair when deeply in labour is crazy, but what do you know when it's your first time?

When I got to the hospital everyone ignored me because they knew it was my first labour and put me on the ignore list especially because there were women who were there for awhile who had more than one child already.

I was throwing up and alone and the nurse told my husband that I wouldn't want him to see me doing so.  I was alone in a hospital bathroom in pain and sick.

I am not a screamer or complainer and told everyone that things were intense but squeaky wheel gets the grease.

If I had to do it again I would have a midwife in the hospital to be my mentor.  I would also not be so polite.

I had the urge to push, which I didn't know was happening, but asked for someone to come see me because something was "different".  The nurse said ...like I was putting her out, "What, you want me to check"?  I said yes and insisted and then she said to my husband, you have to change she is delivering right now.

For both children four pushes.

I did pregnancy fitness when pregnant and didn't even have sugar in ketchup.  I swear my kids are made of broccoli. 

The pain was overwhelming and there are no words to explain to those who say that "You had it easy".

Honestly I thought with that type of pain you would just die at the end, no passing go, no collecting 200 dollars!

Good news though, when it was finished I felt like I do now sitting at the computer, pain free and full of energy.

I know I went through things naturally and without pain medication but am not exactly someone who recommends it anymore.  It is difficult however you slice things and power to all moms and their decisions.

I would recommend a midwife in the hospital, one needs a mentor.

You can always tell her to go home if need be.

I would suggest being very open to an episiotomy (spelling sorry)....It made healing very easy and preferable to tearing.  I hesitated the first time because of classes mentioning that the doctor could massage the opening so I wouldn't need one but there really wasn't enough time for that to be done.  The doctor said to me "do you want to rip?"  luckily I had enough wits about me to say NOOOOO!

Kudos to all moms and hopefully the word will circulate that those who have quick labours are not that lucky.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:14 AM

my first was 12 hours

second was 29 min.... it was WAY TOO FAST for me and a very unplanned unasssited birth with my mom catching the baby.

I am prego with my third now and actually kinda scared to have such a quick labor again... here's hoping for a LONGER labor for me!! smile.gif

Mama to my three little loveys and living the good life in the beautiful Pacific North West 
Old 11-19-2012, 10:26 AM

1st - 16 hrs (12 hrs spent at the hospital), baby born within an hour of getting in the birthing pool, 8 lbs 3 oz

2nd - 4 hr home birth, baby born within 1/2 hr of getting in the birthing tub, 9 lbs 2 oz

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

Old 11-21-2012, 08:29 PM

DD- 6 hrs active labor, 6lbs 9oz

Mama to DD(4) energy.gif&  DS baby.gif

Old 11-23-2012, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
#1, delivered 11 hours after my water broke. Pushed 3 hours!
#2, delivered 1 hour after water broke, didn't even realize it was true labor until then! Dh caught him.
#3, water never broke, I realized I was in labor 10 minutes before he was born in the caul! Dh and nurse caught him.
#4 ????

I have prodromal labor for weeks ahead of time, and it's hard to say when they really change, the ctx are always intense.

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
and another A due July 2015!!!!

User Tag List