Exercise with Partial Placenta Previa? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-02-2010, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey all. I'm posting here instead of DDC because I thought someone might have some experience in a broader audience.

I had bleeding (SCH) this pregnancy from 6-15 weeks. I am now 21 weeks. I have partial placenta previa - at u/s last week, the OB described it as just a tiny little piece of the placenta in or on the lip of my cervix.

I stopped working out at some point in the first tri because of the m/s and bleeding. I went back at 18 weeks or so and did a very gentle walk on the treadmill and had red spotting (light) for several hours afterward. No bleeding since.

For what it's worth, my slow walk on the treadmill, I felt, was much less intensity than most of my day-to-day chasing my kids around.

Anyway, I've emailed my OB early this morning and am still waiting for a response, but in the meantime, has anyone else had any experience with a little placenta previa and exercise? Did your provider tell you to stop? DH and I have also been abstaining, although, again, I'm not sure if we need to.

Anyone BTDT?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 11-02-2010, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
None of my news for you is good.

I'm a big fan of exercise during pregnancy, but if you're still experiencing bleeding from previa, however slight, I think you should cool it. And find someone else to run around after your kids if you can.

I had previa. I hated it and it sucked and I wound up with an unstable hemorrhage and an emergency c-section at 32 weeks. And then I hated the NICU and *that* sucked. The night I had surgery, ultrasound scan indicated that the placenta was juuuuuuust a little over the cervix, *almost* clear... but at the same time, I was juuuuuuust shy of needing a transfusion. We are all fine now, but this is where my caution comes from.

It's great that your previa is clearing up. The trick is to stay pregnant while it goes the *rest* of the way away. Bed rest is kind of controversial and I'm not at all convinced it helps, but pelvic rest is a solid recommendation for patients with previa and a history of bleeding.
#3 of 5 Old 11-02-2010, 10:08 PM

I agree with Meepy. I had a previa as well and I say pelvic rest is the way to go. No exercise, no intercourse and no strenuous activity at all until that placenta is nice and far away from the cervix. Your bleeding issues are a big red flag that says "STOP!!!" and I would listen to that. If you bleed - and it's a big one, both you and the baby are in danger. Just rest! I am an exercise junkie and I was on complete bedrest for 4 months (it was discovered I had a vasa previa as well) and it is hard to give up movement, but so worth it to have a healthy baby in my arms.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#4 of 5 Old 11-02-2010, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, mommas, for your responses.

I just got an email back from my OB (who's kind of overwhelmed most of the time) saying I could try 10 slow minutes, but if there's any cramping or bleeding to stop. She also said it's ok to just not exercise if I have any reservations about it.

She also said pelvic rest to continue.

Thanks so much for your input. I'm not sure what to do. I'm "AMA" and overweight, so I think it makes sense to walk for 10 slow minutes and see how it goes. If I have any bleeding, I won't try again. I just am not sure how to weigh the risks, you know? It seems kind of lose-lose.

Meepycat, your story is very sobering. I'm so glad you're all ok. I forget sometimes that this is an extremely serious condition.
#5 of 5 Old 11-03-2010, 10:17 AM

I was just in the same boat. I had a marginal previa at my 18 week u/s. I had to go on pelvic rest, and stop exercising. Every time I did exercise I spotted or bled. In fact I had spotted pretty much from 8 weeks on. I was well behaved and went back at 24 weeks and my placenta had totally moved out of the way. I now have the green light to resume all activity. I however, have not continued to work out. I have a history of complicated pregnancies and my dh, mw, & I have decided it wasn't worth it.

Amy, happily married to my Sweetie Pie partners.gif, Grateful for all my Blessings, in love with my rainbow1284.gifbaby.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page