My nipple is peeling?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-03-2010, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Yep. I went to go take a shower and the bottom half of the left areola is peeling. Its not itchy or painful or anything but it looks really weird having the skin flake off. I've been hand-expressing a little in the shower to rub colostrum on them... that wouldn't cause it, right? I thought that was supposed to help keep them moisturized and I only occasionally use soap/body wash (but not on my breasts since I got pregnant). What's going on? Dr. Google isn't helping me much.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#2 of 9 Old 11-03-2010, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I actually had this happen when I was pregnant as well, though my flaky peeling bottom of my left areola was coupled with extreme itchiness. I discussed with my midwife who had never heard of such a thing and she prescribed an anti-fungal, which did nothing.
It all disappeared upon the birth of my daughter.

Mom to DD1 8/09 and DD2 4/11

#3 of 9 Old 11-03-2010, 12:31 PM

I would put some lanolin on it.

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#4 of 9 Old 11-03-2010, 01:33 PM

Hmm. I had the same thing when I was pregnant with DS1, though it wasn't limited to top/bottom of the areola, or left/right breast. From time to time, in the last trimester, I just started noticing when I got in the shower that one or both nipples was peeling - not as bad as a bad sunburn, but still. I never had any itching, though, and at the suggestion of my MW I just rubbed them with a dab of olive oil from time to time. It all went away once DS was born and I was nursing.
#5 of 9 Old 11-03-2010, 03:03 PM

Been having that on both areolas since early on this pregnancy, just figured it was a affect of all the changing they were going thru.

Seems to have tapered off quite a bit not that most of the big growing darkening changes have slowed down as well.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#6 of 9 Old 11-03-2010, 04:07 PM

It might also be dried colustrum peeling off - that's what I get.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#7 of 9 Old 11-03-2010, 06:48 PM

My areola are peeling and itchy, too. It is *really* annoying. I'm still nursing some and that exacerbates the issue, tho I did have it last pg when not nursing, too.
I made sure to have OB look at it to make sure it wasn't yeast (its not). Guess we can all add that to the list of annoying pg complications.
I've tried lanolin and didn't get any relief, tho ymmv. The only thing that helps mine is a cool wash cloth- soothes the itchy.

reading.gifdiaper.gif ♥ baby.gif baby.gif ♥
but a lesson must be lived in order to be learned.
and the clarity to see and stop this now
that is what i've earned (a.d.)
#8 of 9 Old 11-03-2010, 10:24 PM

Me too -- peeling and darker pigmentation bilaterally, just like w/ the first pregnancy.
#9 of 9 Old 11-04-2010, 12:16 AM

I peeled and peeled and peeled my whole first pregnancy. My nipples were really light in color by the time I gave birth. It was my first and thought they were supposed to get darker. Oh well. It hasn't happened with my subsequent pregnancies. Just one of those annoying things.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page