Maternity shirt coverage question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 11-03-2010, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
With my last pregnancy, my shirts didn't quite cover all of my tummy towards the end. I'm tall with a fairly long torso so even not pregnant, I frequently have problems with the length of shirts. I'm considering sizing up so I'll hopefully have more tummy coverage towards the end. Anyone with the same issue try sizing up?

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#2 of 23 Old 11-03-2010, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm starting to stick out the bottom of my maternity shirts too and I'm only 5'3"! I think I'm sticking WAY out there or something. I guess if it was by more than just a little or I had enough time left to make it worth my money I'd buy new shirts but I don't leave the house much and I only have 5 weeks until my due date.

Maybe you could find a different style? I have a few shirts that are inches longer than the others... I just don't remember where I bought them!

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 bouncy.gif   Pregnant with #2, hoping for a  stork-girl.gif 

#3 of 23 Old 11-03-2010, 01:41 PM

I woudl def try different brands. Also bella band or loooong under shirt might help.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#4 of 23 Old 11-03-2010, 02:32 PM

I have good luck with the old navy tanks under some tops that are shorter or end up shrinking. I'm 26 weeks and my belly is already hanging out from the bottom of some tops (and these are larges, the XLs are way too big on me in the shoulders).
I don't want to look like I'm wearing a trash bag.
Try either pants that have the stretchy "magic" full panel bellyband or long long lean tanks. I think old navy actually sells "long" sized tanks. They don't have to be maternity, just LONG LONG LONG. I live in newengland, it's cold outside and and colder in our house, so layering is essential in the winter for us.

Michelle ~
Mama to ~ Finnegan(10/06) ~ Samuel (7/08) ~ Henry (2/11) ~ He's here! joy.gif Baxter (11/12)

#5 of 23 Old 11-03-2010, 02:33 PM

look...

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/produc...scid=488848362

$5 and there is a 30% off coupon on the home page. I'm wearing one now and it covers my bump when nothing else does (don't size down though).

Michelle ~
Mama to ~ Finnegan(10/06) ~ Samuel (7/08) ~ Henry (2/11) ~ He's here! joy.gif Baxter (11/12)

#6 of 23 Old 11-03-2010, 02:40 PM

yep, having the same problem. i've found that some of the plain cotton liz lange long sleeve shirts at target to be a good length but still kind of slim fitting so you don't feel like you're wearing a garbage bag.
#7 of 23 Old 11-03-2010, 02:46 PM

I'm 5'3 and had the same problem last time, and this time around it seems to be occuring even sooner. I'm only 24 weeks and already having to retire shirts because I don't have adequate belly coverage.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#8 of 23 Old 11-03-2010, 04:02 PM

I just go with the gut hanging out because it seems to be almost inevitable toward the end.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#9 of 23 Old 11-03-2010, 04:21 PM

I had the same problem last time. This time, I got some Liz Lange maternity tank tops from Target that are very long and comfy. I also got a bella band, also at Target, which has been very valuable in covering the gap and I can wear shorter shirts with it and it just looks like layered shirts, although depending on the shirt you can tell it's not a shirt. Oh well! better than my belly hanging out!

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#10 of 23 Old 11-03-2010, 04:28 PM

I don't know how it will work out just yet (I'm 27 weeks with my first), but I have several of the Motherhood Maternity shirts that have the gathers on the side. They do seem to grow with your belly, lengthwise and out. Maybe try those?

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#11 of 23 Old 11-03-2010, 04:32 PM

I'll third or fourth the idea of using tank tops. Those are by far the longest I've got and good for layering in the winter. I'm also tall with a long torso and have problems with regular shirts while not pregnant.
I have a couple from Old Navy and also one from Target I really like because it's not too thin, not too thick and is snug fitting which I like for layering. I have it on or I'd look and see who it was made by, probably Liz Lange.

Jessica, wife to Greg since 7/04, mama to the rainbow1284.gif Gman 7/06, 3 brokenheart.gif , rainbow1284.gif Asher 1/11 and a wonderful surprise due in August!

#12 of 23 Old 11-03-2010, 04:42 PM

Another vote for tank tops! I use the $5 long and lean from Target in XL. They're fitted enough to keep from adding any bulk, while long enough to go plenty far below my belly.

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#13 of 23 Old 11-03-2010, 04:49 PM

Totally having the same problem (and I am a short gal)...

Pre-pregnancy my shirts are an XS/S. I tend to stick WAY out (not to mention gain a lot of weight) during pregnancy. I have outgrown most of my size M shirts (meaning, belly shows underneath) at 31 weeks. There isn't a large selection of maternity clothing where I am living (not anything I like, anyway) so I will most likely just deal.

I don't like to do the tank top thing, just doesn't work for me. I have found that the long sleeve t-shirts from Kohl's maternity are not only super soft, but also much longer than some of the other brands. The M still fits and I wish I had bought a few more in different colors the last time I was stateside!

Tracy

2 Rainbow babes, PPH/Hysterectomy survivor!
#14 of 23 Old 11-03-2010, 06:31 PM

I have this issue a lot.. and have to size up.. but I hate it as it makes my clothes baggy.. but between shirts being to short and BB's being huge.. I often end up in a XL shirt (non-pregnant I'm in a M maybe L shirt) just to cover the boobs and belly!

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#15 of 23 Old 11-03-2010, 08:57 PM

I've found that sizing up just leads to 'tent-like' appearance. I'm not sure why maternity designers think women need extra width, LENGTH!! length is what pregnant women need.

I'm 5'1 and didn't always have this problem. With my first 3 pregnancies, it wasn't an issue but I'm assuming it must be newer clothes that it's an issue. My last two pregnancies my clothes have hardly lasted throughout the whole pregnancy. In the beginning, I need smalls... midway through a medium and by the end a large. I can't say I'm any larger than the average pregnant mama but that's a pretty wide spectrum of sizes. I've actually had better luck (until the very end) with using regular non-mat clothes, the longer shirts being in style this time around has been awesome. Of course, I'm now 39+ weeks... not a whole lot that fits is comfortable haha.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#16 of 23 Old 11-03-2010, 09:20 PM

I'm 5'2" and have this problem towards the end, so I can only imagine how hard it is for taller mamas. I have found that Old Navy has longer length in most of their shirts without being too huge everywhere else. I tried on one of those ruched side shirts at Motherhood, and it seemed to run really long.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#17 of 23 Old 11-03-2010, 09:57 PM

These are nursing tanks, but I wear them under almost all my clothes during pregnancy. They come in a long size and I bought a size up so they would fit around my belly. Very nice, soft but thick material.

http://www.glamourmom.com/store/shopexd.asp?id=50

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#18 of 23 Old 11-03-2010, 11:46 PM

Another vote for the bella band (at target). I got 2 and wore them under everything. It's like a tube top to cover the top of your pants and belly. I liked it because it covered the gap between my pants and shirt, but wasn't another full shirt - nice if you're preggo and HOT.
#19 of 23 Old 11-04-2010, 01:04 AM

I found some reeeeally long maternity tanks at Target this time that have really helped with this.

Tracie, mama to dd5, ds4, and ds born Dec. '10

#20 of 23 Old 11-04-2010, 04:13 AM

Sizing up does not help me at all. I am a XL, but wearing 2x and the bands on all my maternity jeans show, it is frustrating because I am only 5'3". I hate layering, I get too hot, but the Belly Bands from target do help a ton.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#21 of 23 Old 11-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Kim

I'm 5'10" and have been using Gap t-shirts and sweaters. They have always been long enough to cover. The clearance items (esp. t's) are a fair price between $4-8 a piece.

My friend brought a tub of maternity clothes for me to borrow, mostly Liz Lange and Motherhood, and they were ALL too short and boxy. Probably work better for those under 5'8".
#22 of 23 Old 11-04-2010, 12:24 PM

Here's an idea! I recently cracked a rib and wanted to splint it for comfort for the first few days. The splint itched my skin so I grabbed one of DH's undershirts and cut it straight across right at the bottom of the arms. This gave me about 18 inches of lovely, soft white cotton fabric. I'm a rubenesque woman and his tshirts are a size medium. It was perfect! The fabric was tight enough that it didn't slip down over my babybelly and fall off but it wasn't constricting because the cotton has some stretch and give. It was far better than the belly bands I had tried on because it was longer. I didn't even notice it.

That might be a cheap solution to try. If it doesn't work, cut it in half and have 2 new dust rags... Best of luck!!!

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#23 of 23 Old 11-04-2010, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

I'm unsure of layering. The winters here are pretty mild so I suspect I'll end up overheated. There's a Motherhood and some Targets a half hour away - closest maternity shopping.

The fact that my pants aren't panel-style is probably part of the problem. They are super comfy in the beginning of the pregnancy but later drive me crazy! So I really ought to buy some pants as well....

I'm really not a fan of spending a bunch of money on some clothes that I'm going to wear for such a short amount of time.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page