Feeling defeated C-section Previa - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-03-2010, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't quit crying I'm so upset
At 19 weeks I had a complete previa
At 27 weeks the placenta had moved 7mm (not even a cm) away from the cervix opening.
Now at 32 weeks it is still siting at 7mm.

They said they will do another scan at 36 weeks to see if it has moved enough. And if it hasn't they will schedule a c-section for 39 weeks. I asked why if they were waiting till 39 weeks that they couldn't give the placenta a bit more time before they ultrasound it again. So they reluctantly said they would do the ultrasound at 37 weeks.

I also have an anterior placenta. So if they c-section they have to cut through the placenta. Isn't this more of a risk than attempting a vaginal delivery with a placenta sitting about 1 cm away from the cervix?

So is there anything I can do to help encourage this placenta to move? I'm a very independent person and have issues with the thought of anyone doing anything to my spine. If I need something I just do it, I hate asking for help. I would rather be in pain than have to even ask someone to help me. So as you can see I really would not be a good c-section patient. So I really want to avoid this if at all possible.

Any help would be appreciated.
#2 of 8 Old 11-03-2010, 05:14 PM

I have no advice, but I'm so sorry to hear that you're having to deal with this. Hopefully you'll get some nice btdt stories. :huuuug:

Laura
DD (01.08) and blissfully expecting #2 next June
#3 of 8 Old 11-03-2010, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
There's nothing you can do to get your placenta to move. Sorry. There's a ton of homeopathic remedies out there, but given the odds that the placenta will move on its own, I think the only thing these remedies can be proven to do is cost you money.

But! Your placenta is anterior, which means that it's more likely to shift than if it were posterior. And it's already clear of the cervix. And you have some time. These are all good signs, and reasons to be optimistic.

I have to tell you that pregnancy is the time to get over an aversion to asking for help, if you possibly can. One of the funny things that kids often do to us is cause us to develop needs that we have to seek assistance with. However, it is possible to have a surgical delivery in which you participate. This is a concern that I would strongly advise you to mention to your doctor - you hate feeling helpless, and you are worried that you will feel especially helpless on the operating table. What can you do to be a participant in your care in this situation? What would be a good idea for you to know, how can you best express your desires, and what should you expect?
#4 of 8 Old 11-03-2010, 05:24 PM

My understanding is that the placenta is where it is: it grows where the embryo implanted into the uterine wall and doesn't really "move." As the uterus gets larger, it could get farther away from the cervix; as it was explained to me, early in pregnancy, EVERYONE's placenta is near the cervix because the uterus is small and there's not a lot of room in there. As the uterus grows, the space between the placenta and the cervix could fill up with fluid and baby, but the placenta itself doesn't move around in there like the baby does.

My understanding is that if the placenta isn't covering the cervix and you don't have any bleeding, many doctors will at least try a vaginal birth. Could you get a second opinion anywhere?

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#5 of 8 Old 11-03-2010, 07:28 PM

I had to have an emergency c-section when I was pregnant with #5 and planning for homebirth #2. I had never had so much as an IV during labor so it was completely against everything I had ever wanted. I'm not gonna lie, it was tough, and the recovery was much worse than it was for a vaginal birth (although a lot of that was due to the fact that I was never able to rest properly, I had to go 45 minutes one-way to get to the NICU and visit my baby at least once a day for a month and I was up every 2 hours to pump). For me the whole thing was very difficult to process but it did make it a little easier because I knew my c-section was actually medically necessary, as it would be for a complete placenta previa.

My understanding is that they would NOT have to cut through the placenta; the incision would be higher than that.

I really am sorry that you're dealing with this. It's hard to have an ideal birth in mind and then have this thrown at you. I will tell you, though, that I also have a really hard time asking for help, but I learned to force myself as much as I hated it. People asked me what I needed and I had to swallow my pride and tell them. It is VERY HARD. I think asking for help was harder than the physical recovery.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#6 of 8 Old 11-03-2010, 07:58 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hugs.

Just wanted to tell you my complete previa + anterior placenta did move on its own by the end.
#7 of 8 Old 11-03-2010, 09:19 PM

I think you should be optimistic too, there is time yet for your uterus to strech a little more and move it up some and it's already off the cervix.

A second opinion and and some visualization couldn't hurt.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#8 of 8 Old 11-04-2010, 04:43 PM

I know it's not the birth you were hoping for, but try to look at it like 'thank goodness there is this life saving surgery that will save me and my baby'. Maybe it will help.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page