would you name your baby a name you couldn't stand? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 139 Old 11-16-2010, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenyd View Post

Ugh, hell no. Do your kid a favor and don't back down! I think middle name is a GENEROUS compromise.

My sentiments exactly. No way would I use that. Not even if I WASN'T the one pushing the baby from MY vagina. Veto power is especially important for mommy, I think. Since can you imagine going through labor to lift that baby to your face for a kiss, settling him on your breast to nurse and then whispering "My sweet Tecumseh"???

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#122 of 139 Old 11-16-2010, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

^ hahaha!

well.. looks like everything has worked out in the end.  we're having a GIRL!!!

so unless he's going to start lobbying for Tecumsina.. i can rest easy!!

Juvysen likes this.

mommy to "mine" (7), "his" (5), and preggers with "ours" due march 2011!!! 

heartbeat.gifIts a GIRL!!!!
#123 of 139 Old 11-16-2010, 09:02 PM

Lol. Well, congratulations on your girl. I say you mess with him and lobby for something ridiculous for a few days. ;)

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#124 of 139 Old 11-16-2010, 11:35 PM

i wouldn't back down.. Dh has picked out the names for the boys... most just becasue he has come up with the winning combination and i loved it..

if you can't stand the name why would you wan tyou child to be named that

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#125 of 139 Old 11-17-2010, 06:27 AM

I would let him get a dog and name it Tecumseh or Tecumsina.  But as for a kid?  No way, and I wouldn't use it for a middle name, either.

We each made a list of our top 10-15 names and then compared.  The ones on both made it to the short list.

#126 of 139 Old 11-17-2010, 06:31 AM

even though i laughed out loud when i read your post, i think it's not that bad.  you would have probably grown to like it. (and i laughed not at the name but at your description and presentation of the choice.)

i also REALLY like merle. 

(but then again, this is coming from someone whose dh insists that our next child have the middle name Buck after his grandpa.  Whether it is a girl or a boy..

OH, imogenlily!!! i guess you can sympathize? what is WITH that name???)

so.. you'll probably have to discuss it all over again if you have another child! 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#127 of 139 Old 11-17-2010, 07:38 AM

We couldn't agree on a name for our son.  He was nameless for 3 days!  In the end I won out simply because my husband watched me go through labor and then a c-section.  Then with our daughter the same thing almost happened again.  He wouldn't agree on anything but right after she was born I said this is ***** and he was fine without.  Men will agree to anything after watching you go through labor.  Or at least my husband will.  Now with the third on the way I'm keeping all my name ideas to myself.  I only through out hideous suggestions up until the last couple of weeks.  Then he thinks I'm talking sense and will agree.  Otherwise our son still wouldn't have a name and he's 5!  We waited so long to name our dog that he ended up being named puppy!

#128 of 139 Old 11-17-2010, 08:25 AM

No I wouldn't. I think the name should be something that both parents like. And that name is just asking to be made fun of. I think your child would have such a hard time in school, especially middle school when kids hit puberty.

~Attatchment and Natural Parent from instincts not from books to my 2 boys~ Childbirth Educator & Placental Encapsulation Professional
homeschool.gif familybed2.gif homebirth.jpgribbonpb.gif
#129 of 139 Old 11-17-2010, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Huh... I always heard it pronounced  tuh-coom-suh.  At least that takes some of the dirtiness out of it... so while I wasn't fond of the name I didn't hear the dirty slang in the middle immediately until people started discussing it.

I wouldn't do it for a first name, but could see it for a middle name.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#130 of 139 Old 11-17-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Music View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenyd View Post

Ugh, hell no. Do your kid a favor and don't back down! I think middle name is a GENEROUS compromise.

My sentiments exactly. No way would I use that. Not even if I WASN'T the one pushing the baby from MY vagina. Veto power is especially important for mommy, I think. Since can you imagine going through labor to lift that baby to your face for a kiss, settling him on your breast to nurse and then whispering "My sweet Tecumseh"???

LOL!  That totally cracked me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbyfar7 View Post

^ hahaha!

Congrats on your girl, I'm glad for now that fight is over for you!  I hope you guys have a much easier time coming up with a girl name you both like!

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

#131 of 139 Old 11-17-2010, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

There's a reason why veto's are allowed. Period.

This baby's "father" (before he bailed) only ever suggested one name. That was Fortunella. No offense to anyone who LIKES that name, but it just kinda made me want to puke.gif I was so proud of him for finally coming up with a suggestion that I didn't say a word (which should have been his answer lol) but if he had pressed it I would have given it a big fat VETO!!! I'm sorry, but both parents have to agree somewhat. I don't like common names, but I *might* compromise on one if my SO really, really, really loved it...MIGHT. But then there are some names that no way in hell would I do that. It sounds like this name is your "no way in hell" name...and your DH needs to respect that.

Or, you could always come up with a really horrid name and say, "Omg, this name is GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!" and really, really press it and when he keeps protesting it you can say, "See? There you go. That's how I feel about your name...so let's just veto them both." 

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#132 of 139 Old 11-17-2010, 11:23 AM

HAH!  Congratulations!  That's awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbyfar7 View Post

^ hahaha!

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#133 of 139 Old 11-17-2010, 01:04 PM

Something else to consider. My oldest daughter is 8 and she always likes to hear the story of how we agreed on her name.. etc. I would hate to try to tell that story if you still totally hated the name 8 years from now.. which I am guessing you would... The girl names I disliked then are the same ones I don't like today.. just something to consider..

So no, I think each parent having total veto power is important..  In my daughter's example I wanted to name her after my grandma.. but my DP didn't like the name.. so we didn't use it.

... I see everything worked out! Congratulations on the girl!!!

Angie - mom to Allie 12/01, Ephram 07/09  and Asher 3/1/11
#134 of 139 Old 11-17-2010, 01:20 PM
HRJ

Absolutely NOT!  Don't budge.  This is a name you will be stuck w/ for the rest of your life, and the child will be stuck w/ the rest of his life. 

#135 of 139 Old 11-18-2010, 11:11 AM

Congrats to you on your girl and dodging the Tecumseh bullet. :)

My husband and I went through the same thing with our son when we found out we were having a boy. DH wanted a "strong, Norse, viking sort-of name" so he picked out such gems as Hjalmer, Thorvald, Tolleff, Iyvandr and a couple more that I can't remember, other than the fact that were the sort of names that, in my eyes, would most definitely guarantee an ass-beating on the playground. (No offense to mamas who name their children the aforementioned names.)

Thankfully, I suggested Eirik. DH scoffed that Eirik wasn't really a very viking name until I reminded him of a very famous viking named Eirik Raude, more commonly known as Erik the Red, discoverer of Greenland, and father to Leif Eriksson. :)

Hopefully your quest for a name for your daughter won't end up with him falling in love the name of Wilamehna or Bertha. (Again, no offense to those actually named such names... I'm sure you have a very interesting story behind them...)

fencing.gif Carolina Kel 
Pagan * Grad Student * Amateur Ninja * Bibliophile * Photographer * Cyberpunk* Cooking Diva * Wife to RJ & Partner to Abeja * Mamí Valkyrie to Eiríkr (2/26/2009), Skaði (3/18/2011) and a surprise munchkin due 8-23-2012 * I love my tribe of hearts! *

#136 of 139 Old 11-18-2010, 07:34 PM

Congratulations on your girl!  Sacajawea? Haha.  I'm happy that you two will be able to start over and hopefully find a girl's name you BOTH love. I'll take the unpopular position, however, and say that I think Tecumseh is kind of a cool name. An amazing historical figure and I think "Tuck" would be a pretty good nickname.  Okay, this is coming from one who's boy name favorites were Wolfgang and Hugo- so take it for what it's worth.  ;)  My daughters are happy they were born girls...

#137 of 139 Old 11-18-2010, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the congrats and well wishes ladies! I can't tell you how excited I am about this baby being a girl. This Tecumseh issue has been so crazy that when we found out the sex and started telling family/friends, EVERYONE responded with, "well, atleast you don't have to name her Tecumseh" lol..

I know DP is disappointed.. but talk about dodging the bullet.. joy.gif

so now the search for the perfect girl name begins.. BUT this time.. before we even started suggesting names we sat  down and had a long discussion about the sacredness and importance of the unquestionable bow.gif VETO.

mommy to "mine" (7), "his" (5), and preggers with "ours" due march 2011!!! 

heartbeat.gifIts a GIRL!!!!
#138 of 139 Old 11-20-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova22 View Post

I think it's fair to compromise with a name that you truly HATE and put it in the middle. That's more than fair considering how much you don't like the name.

Exactly... you're nicer than me. I'd tell DH to wait until we get another pet and then he can use his beloved name ;)

A name should be fully agreed on by both parents IMO. And I go against the flow in that I like common names because I hated being teased about my own name growing up (unisex name & often spelled wrong too)

#139 of 139 Old 11-20-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova22 View Post

I think it's fair to compromise with a name that you truly HATE and put it in the middle. That's more than fair considering how much you don't like the name.

Exactly... you're nicer than me. I'd tell DH to wait until we get another pet and then he can use his beloved name ;)

A name should be fully agreed on by both parents IMO. And I go against the flow in that I like common names because I hated being teased about my own name growing up (unisex name & often spelled wrong too)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page