Worse morning sickness = different gender? Anecdotal evidence needed! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 11-04-2010, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, people in my due date club may have seen me complaining about the horrible morning sickness I am suffering this time. I had morning sickness with both my sons, worse with the first and not as bad with the second, but this time is just a whole new circle of hell. Everyone keeps saying to me, that means it's a girl. And I admit I have had the same thought (though I have had a feeling my third would be a girl -- dreams and such -- even before I got pregnant). But on the other hand I know logically, rationally that every pregnancy is different and many people have had the same gender children with radically different symptoms.

What has your experience been? Did different severity of morning sickness have any significance with respect to the baby's sex?

P.S. I am probably just ruminating on this because EVERYONE in both our families is OBSESSED with the idea of us having a girl and I hate the pressure and the way their expectations/desires dehumanize my beautiful sons. I honestly don't care whether this one is a boy or a girl but DH and I are the only ones without a preference.

SAHM to Bird (6/07) and Bear (7/09), and now enjoying our newest additionbabyboy.gif, born June 1, 2011!  bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.gif

#2 of 49 Old 11-04-2010, 08:04 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
My morning sickness was much worse with my girl.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#3 of 49 Old 11-04-2010, 08:19 PM

I have also heard from several ppl that their morning sickness was worse with a girl.

Last time I had some morning sickness (not too much) and it was my DS.

This time I have had a LOT more but we don't know yet what we are having.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#4 of 49 Old 11-04-2010, 08:22 PM

IME, morning sickness varied a lot for each pregnancy. I have four girls and one boy. Each pregnancy is so different itself, that I wouldn't put too much stock in this one being a different gender based on m/s. If, however, you'd already had a girl and a similar experience, that would hold some weight.
#5 of 49 Old 11-04-2010, 08:29 PM

My OB's nurse said "female hormones and female hormones don't mix". Which seems a little silly, but it does seem like many women report more morning sickness with girls. It certainly has been the case for me with this pregnancy.

SAHM to my beautiful, joyful, silent D (9/90) and exuberant, charismatic, not-so-silent S (11/07) and our precious little chickpea DD born 3/11 ,+7 animals. Partner to my lovely "M.O". Trying to live with intention.

#6 of 49 Old 11-04-2010, 08:33 PM

My morning sickness was equally severe with my boy and my girl. My pregnancies were practically identically.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#7 of 49 Old 11-04-2010, 08:51 PM

mine was severe with DS to the point of nearly being hospitalized. It was strong, constant and lasted a looooong time.

With DD1 it was like it was with DS but I would get days where I felt fine sprinkled in.

With DD2 it was hardly noticeable. Nausea, Id get sick in the mornings but not at night... but nausea all day.

I think for me it seems the more times Im pregnant the better it gets, nothing to do with the gender and more to do with my body finally being able to cope with the hormones.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#8 of 49 Old 11-04-2010, 09:02 PM

I had almost no morning sickness with my first (a girl) still waiting to find out the gender on this one, but my morning sickness lasted about 10x as long and was much more severe. I had a few people telling me it must be a boy because my morning sickness was so much worse then it was with DD.

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#9 of 49 Old 11-04-2010, 09:18 PM

the sex of my children has had nothing to do with my morning sickness.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#10 of 49 Old 11-04-2010, 09:26 PM

I had hyperemesis until 26 weeks with ds1. I barely threw up at all with ds2. With dd, I only threw up a few times, but I had this mild irritating nausea the entire pregnancy.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#11 of 49 Old 11-04-2010, 09:36 PM

I had more nausea with my son than my daughter. Wasn't physically ill with either though.

Mama to three

#12 of 49 Old 11-04-2010, 09:43 PM

I was super nauseous with DS (on medication until 20 weeks, but never actually vomited)
With DD, I've had a little bit of nausea early on, but that was it.
#13 of 49 Old 11-04-2010, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It is just yet another old wives tale. Every pg will/could be be different.

I had complete opposite pgs with both of my girls and then one girl pg was very similar to my boy pg.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#14 of 49 Old 11-04-2010, 09:58 PM

with both I had hypermesis for 26 weeks and was on zofran for both. Although, #2 was much much worse, lost much more weight, had trouble getting out of bed and had horrible stomach pain with #2. Both are girls.

My mother said she had no morning sickness with my brother or me (a girl obviously), she had it with the twins (girls), had it really bad with baby #3 (girl)

My mom was convinced and positive I was having a boy because my morning sickness was worse. She thinks the ultrasound is wrong, lol. I guess it's possible, but I doubt it.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#15 of 49 Old 11-04-2010, 10:01 PM

My primary care physician very early on predicted I'd have a boy when he heard how nauseous I was - due to the conflict of hormones, he said. He's the old-fashioned kind of family doctor who's seen half of the city grow up. And ... he was right, we're expecting a boy in January!
#16 of 49 Old 11-04-2010, 10:43 PM

No ms or even the slightest bit of nausea with DS. I had really severe all day sickness with DD until 15 or 16 weeks, so that was true for me. I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in it but it's kind of fun to guess

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#17 of 49 Old 11-04-2010, 10:56 PM

I have a girl and a boy and the MS was fairly similar with both - both pretty bad. With my daughter it started earlier and ended later. With my son it started later and finished sooner but was worse while I had it. I'm pregnant again and I don't know this one's gender yet, but the MS has been most similar to how I felt with my daughter. So... mid December when I find out what I'm having I'll know if the MS has anything to do with the gender, in my experience anyway!

Mummy to DD-8yrs (Jan-04), DS-5yrs (Dec-06) and DS2-19mths (Apr-11). pos.gif #4 EDD July 26 2013

nocirc.giflactivist.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifbfolderchild.gif

#18 of 49 Old 11-04-2010, 11:28 PM

I've been wondering this myself we won't know for sure if it's true until January.

DS: Horrid MS threw up 2x every day til 2nd trimester. MS earlier in day fine by evening.
This one: Nausea starting at 8-9 pm intensified by 11-12pm. Threw up 3x only from 10-13 weeks all at 11-12+ am when exhausted and up too late.

I find it interesting no one has guessed this is a boy. Based on the very different MS and the heartbeat being 150 they are saying girl, which is what we are hoping it may be as this might be our last.

I'll get my 20 week scan early Jan 2011, will report on gender when/if we find out.
#19 of 49 Old 11-05-2010, 12:09 AM

I had awful morning sickness with my ds--I threw up every day until about 16 weeks. With my dd, I felt a little sick and tired, but I think I only threw up a few times.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#20 of 49 Old 11-05-2010, 01:46 AM

I had mild/moderate morning sickness with both my girls. I was queasy, but not enough to not go to work. With ds, I was very nearly bed ridden, vomiting constantly, and ended up on Zofran to keep anything down. It lasted until I was about five months pregnant, give or take.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#21 of 49 Old 11-05-2010, 03:25 AM

Scientifically there is no correlation b/twn gender and morning sickness. And I know lots of anecdotal stories about women having horrible morning sickness w/ either gender, too. But if you're hoping for a girl, I hope that's what you're having! Good luck.
#22 of 49 Old 11-05-2010, 05:37 AM

I was nauseaous with my first girl but no puking, lots of puking with my second daughter. I have had slight nausea with this pregnancy but no throwing up. I have no idea what I am having thouhg. But in all fairness, I was 18 and 20 when I was first preg. with my first two and am 40 this go round so I am not sure if age is a factor since I know my own hormones are a lot different now.

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#23 of 49 Old 11-05-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmiranda View Post
but this time is just a whole new circle of hell.

LOVE that phrase - awesome way to put it! I referred to my misery as "The Trifecta of Hell" because I had nausea, headache & fatigue all together. It was horrific & incapacitating from week 7 through about week 17/18.

Yup, this is a girl! My first baby is a boy & I was fine - a little bit of queasiness, a little bit of fatigue, but not so bad. But with this girl - a world of difference.

However, my Grandmom had one of each & barely any problems with sickness either time. My Mom had 2 girls & 1 boy & also was barely sick at all & noticed no difference. Then I have 2 friends who have 2 sons & were sicker with #2. So I've heard lots of stories either way.
#24 of 49 Old 11-05-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pregnant@40 View Post
Scientifically there is no correlation b/twn gender and morning sickness.
Actually - not true. I thought I remembered reading in "The Mayo Clinic's Guide to a Health Pregnancy" that MS is worse with girls. I hated the book & got rid of it, so I couldn't confirm, but that is a pretty legit source.

So I Googled & found this NY Times article:

Quote:
Old wives’ tales about predicting a baby’s sex — relying on clues like the way the woman carries and the fetal heart rate — are usually more fantasy than fact.

But the notion that morning sickness can sometimes indicate that a girl is on the way may be an exception. A number of large studies in various countries have examined the claim, and almost all have found it to be true, with caveats. Specifically, studies have found that it applies to women with morning sickness in the first trimester, and with symptoms so severe that it leads to hospitalization, a condition known as hyperemesis gravidarum.
#25 of 49 Old 11-05-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post
Actually - not true. I thought I remembered reading in "The Mayo Clinic's Guide to a Health Pregnancy" that MS is worse with girls. I hated the book & got rid of it, so I couldn't confirm, but that is a pretty legit source.

So I Googled & found this NY Times article:
I know with my family, I am the odd man out. 11 grandkids, 8 of those are girls - one with a family of 2 girls, one with a family of 4 girls, and me with 2 girls. I am the only one that had morning sickness...not only that, but mine had to be so bad I was on medication. 4 women, and I "lucked" out

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#26 of 49 Old 11-05-2010, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Slight nausea but no vomiting and we're having a baby boy.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#27 of 49 Old 11-05-2010, 11:49 AM

For me it didn't have anything to do with gender. Three bald babies, mild morning sickness, no heartburn. Baby born looking like he was wearing a fur hat, horrible morning sickness and heartburn for 40 straight weeks!

Solo Mum to 4 and loving every minute of it!!!!
#28 of 49 Old 11-05-2010, 04:52 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had much, much worse morning sickness with my son but I've heard that is "supposed" to be the reverse.
#29 of 49 Old 11-05-2010, 05:01 PM

nausea and vomiting from 10 wks-23 wks with my son. mild nausea from 5-12 wks with my daughter.

My mother however, probably should have been diagnosed with hyperemisis with me, and didn't even have nausea with my brother.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#30 of 49 Old 11-05-2010, 05:31 PM

With dd1, I wouldn't have known I was pregnant if I hadn't had a BFP and felt her kicking.
With dd2, I was sick from conception to 7 1/2-8 months
With this one, I'm sick but not nearly as bad as with dd 2.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page