Just found out I failed my glucose test :( - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 11-05-2010, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This has never happened to me before. I don't think I am eating any differently than I did with my first 2 pregnancies, I don't understand why I failed this test. Now doc's office says I need to take a 3-hr test. Does this mean I have gest diabetes? I am really worried as I am planning a second VBAC! Can someone who has also failed the test please let me know about your experience, and if everything ended up okay?

Mommy to beauties DS1 (7), DS2 (4, autism), & DS3 (2)

and many angel babies angel1.gif

#2 of 38 Old 11-05-2010, 02:50 PM

it's just a screening, so you can still pass the 3 hr test.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#3 of 38 Old 11-05-2010, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillymonster View Post
it's just a screening, so you can still pass the 3 hr test.
Did you ever fail yours? Is there anything I can do so I'll pass the 3-hr one?

#4 of 38 Old 11-05-2010, 02:56 PM

the first screening test has a lot of false results. do a search on how to pass your glucose test. it doesnt hurt to prepare.

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
#5 of 38 Old 11-05-2010, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Stayathomemommy- do you think because I had pizza and juice before the 1-hr test it could have affected the results?

#6 of 38 Old 11-05-2010, 03:02 PM

My sister failed the 1st passed the second. sometimes its a fluky thing.

good luck

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#7 of 38 Old 11-05-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFTB1177 View Post
Thanks Stayathomemommy- do you think because I had pizza and juice before the 1-hr test it could have affected the results?
Wait....I've never been allow to eat before test. My new mw has a list of food I can eat but I think they are all protein...

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#8 of 38 Old 11-05-2010, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
yes, esp juice.

I was scheduled to take the 1 hr at 3pm, but rescheduled for the morning so I could take it fasting.

sugar levels rise and fall through out the day depending on intake and activity. The test is really unscientific, because there are so many variations in how it's administered, and what results are considered passing.

I figure I'll give myself the best possible chance of passing, and then if I fail, I know I have a problem.

What they are trying to do is give you X amount of sugar and see how your body responds in Y amount of time. But If you had juice before hand, you really have X+juice in your system which may or may not have worked itself out by Y time.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#9 of 38 Old 11-05-2010, 03:04 PM

I failed the 1-hour with #3, and passed the 3-hour just fine. I'd be more annoyed at the prospect of taking the 3-hour than worried about the "meaning" of the first results, really.

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#10 of 38 Old 11-05-2010, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotablue View Post
Wait....I've never been allow to eat before test. My new mw has a list of food I can eat but I think they are all protein...
Man... my doc's office didn't tell me anything about fasting or diet restriction!

#11 of 38 Old 11-05-2010, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
yes, esp juice.
I drink a LOT of juice on a daily basis, I always did but it never affected my tests before. Do you think I should start cutting down on juice? I never drink soda.

#12 of 38 Old 11-05-2010, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFullHouse View Post
I failed the 1-hour with #3, and passed the 3-hour just fine. I'd be more annoyed at the prospect of taking the 3-hour than worried about the "meaning" of the first results, really.
Thanks Fullhouse! I am making myself soooo worried about this!!

#13 of 38 Old 11-05-2010, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I've been doing some research on the net... seems like some advise to fast before the 3-hr and some say to eat sugars so your body gets used to them??? Another lady said to "carb up" for a few days and then fast (this was a very old thread that I read so couldn't respond). I am so confused!! I just want to pass this test to there won't be any problems. <sigh>

#14 of 38 Old 11-05-2010, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I drink a LOT of juice on a daily basis, I always did but it never affected my tests before. Do you think I should start cutting down on juice? I never drink soda.
no... not unless you do have GD (which you'll figure out at the 3-hr).

Have you had sugar tests before that were unaffecteed?

My understanding is that you are usually asked to fast before a glucose tolerance tests if you are not pregnant.

Some ob's don't ask you to fast because, well you are pregnant. And eating will most likely cause a false postiive, which would then be screened out in the 3 hr test (which they do ask you to fast for.).

My 'note' asked me to refrain from consuming sugary foods before the test.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#15 of 38 Old 11-05-2010, 03:49 PM

Hi, this very thing just happened to me this week. Wednesday I go in and take the 1 hour test and big fat FAIL. The cut off is 145 and my level was 165. They had me come back yesterday for the 3 hour test and I pass no problem. I know it's tough not to freak out about it, I know I was worried but it seems to be a common thing.

Oh, and I was told not to fast with the first test just not to eat anything super sugary and for the 3 hour I was told not to eat or drink anything after midnight the night before.

I am a VBAC as well!

Wife to my love Ted, and Mama to DS  ('09)    DD  ('11)  DS ('12) love.gif!

#16 of 38 Old 11-05-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Ok, I've been doing some research on the net... seems like some advise to fast before the 3-hr and some say to eat sugars so your body gets used to them??? Another lady said to "carb up" for a few days and then fast (this was a very old thread that I read so couldn't respond). I am so confused!! I just want to pass this test to there won't be any problems. <sigh>
Keep in mind that they are screening/testing ONE MOMENT in time. Elevated sugar at one specific moment means your sugar is elevated at one specific moment. During #4's pregnancy, I managed to spill glucose on a urine test... because I forgot I had gorged on cotton candy at the circus the night before. Not because I had GD!

If you were to fail the 3-hour, your sugar would be monitored more regularly. While I don't know how that plays in to regulations and your birth plan, it would certainly give you better insight into whether you've overdone it on the sweets or actually have GD, since it would show you your sugar levels at many more points in time.

I passed the 1-hour this time, but I was fully prepared to pick up a glucose monitor rather than take the 3-hour if I had failed. But that's with midwives who don't have many restrictions on who/what they can take, and they were fine with my plan.

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#17 of 38 Old 11-05-2010, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonsez2u View Post
Hi, this very thing just happened to me this week. Wednesday I go in and take the 1 hour test and big fat FAIL. The cut off is 145 and my level was 165. They had me come back yesterday for the 3 hour test and I pass no problem. I know it's tough not to freak out about it, I know I was worried but it seems to be a common thing.

Oh, and I was told not to fast with the first test just not to eat anything super sugary and for the 3 hour I was told not to eat or drink anything after midnight the night before.

I am a VBAC as well!
Thanks SO much for sharing this!!! I hope I pass the 3-hr too... my last VBAC was a hb with a mw but for various reasons I am having this baby in the hospital this time with a doc so am much more nervous about "failing" any test that they can use to make things difficult for my VBAC if you kwim! GL with your VBAC, btw!!!

#18 of 38 Old 11-05-2010, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFullHouse View Post
Keep in mind that they are screening/testing ONE MOMENT in time. Elevated sugar at one specific moment means your sugar is elevated at one specific moment. .
Do you think I should find out my numbers, or do they really mean anything?

#19 of 38 Old 11-05-2010, 04:49 PM

I failed the 1-hr with DS but passed the 3-hr. I had to take them fasting. This time, different OB, she just sent me to the lab for the 1-hr at 12w or so (I'm overweight) and said you don't have to fast for the 1hr.

Before I took the 3-hr, I ate protein at midnight. It was a horrible experience; the lab I got sent to didn't have anyone who could do the 3-hour, I went to a different lab, and they wouldn't do it, and then finally a 3rd lab. I had been fasting at that point for 10+ hours and had to fast for the 3 more. I live in L.A., so with traffic and trying to find parking at each lab, I was a mess. I nearly passed out. But I still passed.
#20 of 38 Old 11-05-2010, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

So I just called the doc's office and they said my number was 161, and anything over 130 is failing. I told her I had juice and pizza not long before the test and she said it could have affected it.

Is that a really bad #?

#21 of 38 Old 11-05-2010, 05:37 PM

I failed the one hour with all 3 of my previous pregnancies and passes the 3 hour fasting test each time.

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

#22 of 38 Old 11-05-2010, 05:53 PM

Could you ask your dr to redo the 1 hr with fasting before hand? Maybe they will let you if you explain the circumstances.

The number is not bad or good because you had juice before drinking straight glucose. Its not really an accurate measure of your sugar stability.

The 3 hour test is torture. (at least for me) I'd try to avoid if you can.

#23 of 38 Old 11-05-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Did you ever fail yours? Is there anything I can do so I'll pass the 3-hr one?
I didn't fail, but I ate only protein beforehand - eggs with cheese and water to drink. I also ate lunch before the test, ham and cheese, with water.

I would think juice, especially if you did the test in the morning, might not be accurate. The test is a screen, and our local labs say to eat a regular diet, no fasting. But I didn't drink juice that day at all. For the 3 hr test, it says to fast and eat a certain diet.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#24 of 38 Old 11-05-2010, 06:43 PM

Some midwives allow you to drink a measured qty of juice instead of the glucola for the 1 hour test. So absolutely, consuming a large amount of carbs with no protein before the test could throw off your results. You basically had 2-3 times the sugar they think you had, and your body was busy processing that.

Before my 1 hour with my first son I had cereal with milk. Failed the 1-hour by about 5 points, passed the 3 hour (fasting) with flying colors.

With my second son, I drank juice instead of glucola. Sugar quantity was the same, but I figure since I never ever drink soda, this would be a more accurate measurement of how my body processes the sugars it actually consumes, as opposed to sugar in a form it would never come in contact with. My midwife agreed. I passed that test.

This time, my midwives (different group, since I've moved) also allowed a meal-based 1 hour glucose test. I just took that on Wednesday, so I don't know if I passed or not yet. But, all I had for breakfast before that was eggs.

Honestly, I'd ask for a redo on the 1 hour test before taking the 3 hour. Just read the label on the juice you drank... you're supposed to have 50g sugar for the 1 hour test. How much extra did you get from the juice alone, nevermind the pizza?

Also, only eat protein before the test. It helps stabilize your blood sugar. In general, it's a good idea to eat protein before overindulging on carbs anyway.
#25 of 38 Old 11-05-2010, 08:58 PM
myk

"failing" the 1-hr screen does not necessarily mean you have GD, it means "further testing is warranted".

i just had my second test yesterday.. man that stuff tastes horrific! but hopefully we'll both get good results. good luck!

January 2011
#26 of 38 Old 11-06-2010, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post
i just had my second test yesterday.. man that stuff tastes horrific! but hopefully we'll both get good results. good luck!
How did you do???

Thanks for all of the advice, ladies! So you think I should only drink water and eat protein in the days leading up to the 3 hr test?

#27 of 38 Old 11-06-2010, 03:45 PM
myk

i'll probably get my results back monday. they didn't call yesterday, which either means "no news is good news" or "haven't got the results back from the lab". i'm not worried. either i have GD or not, the test will just let me know.

i don't know if eating just protein is a good idea.. but eating a higher-protein, low-glycemic meal the evening before is probably a good idea.. you won't spike your insulin, which can cause glycemic volatility overnight and may affect the results.

i've tested my blood sugar before and the only meal that ever affects my fasting glucose is the evening meal.. the test is done after fasting for 8+ hours, and any meal i have just before that (so maybe 12 hours before the test) affects my overnight sugars. anything before that doesn't matter one bit. and with other people i know, nothing they eat the night before makes any difference whatsoever, it's an individual thing.

January 2011
#28 of 38 Old 11-06-2010, 04:39 PM

I failed my 1 hour and passed the 3 hour.

And no, the 160's is not that high, especially if you had carbs before the test. Add that meal to the 50gr of pure sugar they gave you for the test and if your body is not used to that kink of sugar load it will take some time to break it all down.

I agree with the PP who said you should ask to re-take the 1 hour test. The 3 hour is a gigantic pain in the neck.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#29 of 38 Old 11-06-2010, 04:48 PM

Don't give up hope! You might still pass the 3 hour.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#30 of 38 Old 11-06-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I just checked the apple juice container in the fridge and apple juice has 28g of sugar per 8 oz. glass. I don't know how much juice you drank or how many grams of sugars were in the pizza, but if the test gives you 50g of sugars after fasting, you had at least 55-60% more in your system with the juice than you should have with just the glucola, possibly twice as much if you factor in the pizza too. I would ask to retake the 1 hour test.

-Astrid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page