How necessary is the glucose test? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 11-13-2010, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't know what it is that i get while pregnant, but technically, it is not GD. However, it mimics all the symptoms of GD. (Big baby, blood pressure, polyhydramnios, etc.) ending with a rather scary situation with my third child including hemhoraging from a distended uterus and a nearly 11 pound child. (Not necessary a complication, but considering he was over two pounds larger than my next largest child, definitely out of the ordinary for me.) So this pregnancy, right from the beginning I did a lot of research on eating like I was diagnosed with GD. So when I hit about 28 weeks and my midwife offered me the test, i declined, because it would not have made a difference in the way I was eating/exercising, and I am one of those people who has a REALLY hard time getting back on the wagon, but not such a hard time staying on the wagon, so I was afraid the glucose drink would mess up my good eating habits. So that is why I declined it. I continue to eat low sugar, high protein, watching my carbs especially in the morning. I am due tomorrow and my midwife says my fluid is great, I am measuring one cm small, and she estimates my baby between 7.5 and 8 pounds. (I guess we'll find out soon!) I think there is a lot to be said for knowing your body. But the first time? I can definitely be hard to know. However, if you do have it--or, like me, something that mimics it--I think carefully managing it is well worthwhile.

I don't know that that really answers your question.:D

Mom of , , , and . Looooooove my SAHHubby and spend a lot of time here ---->
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 49 Old 11-13-2010, 01:53 PM

with DD my OB didn't have me do it, he said since there's no diabetes in my family and I hadn't had a lot of weight gain and didn't have sugar in the urine there was no real reason to screen me. he said if I did start gaining a lot of weight or had sugar in my urine then he would do the test then. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#33 of 49 Old 11-13-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gdhgoer.html

Here is the article by by Henci Goer.
This article is 14 years old. And some of the papers she quotes are now 30 years old. There has been a bit more work done since then.

Share w/ us, I'd love to see links on that work.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#34 of 49 Old 11-15-2010, 01:51 PM

So... if I did the glucose test and they diagnosed me with GD, wouldn't they just have me monitoring my blood glucose at home with a glucometer and eating accordingly??  If that's the case, then why can't I just skip the glucose test and monitor my blood glucose at home as though I have GD?  That's why I don't understand why the 3 hour GTT is so much better.  If the outcome is the same (monitoring levels regularly at home), why can't I just do that?  I'm not talking about randomly checking my blood sugar here and there.  I'm talking several times a day over a week (and if that is fine, maybe do it again a few weeks later).

Thoughts?

Beth
Mama to DD 2.18.03, DS 3.18.06, DD 5.7.11

#35 of 49 Old 11-15-2010, 02:55 PM

My OB does the test itself using a glucometer.

Tracie, mama to dd5, ds4, and ds born Dec. '10

#36 of 49 Old 11-15-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

ETA - My DH read this post and he added that the lab test of blood is much better at giving a *true* BGL. The home monitors are influenced by a variety of components within the blood and were designed more to show trends over time rather than one off levels.

it seems to me that learning your bodies "trends" are more useful than "one off levels" i decided to ask for a meter to get to understand my body better rather than just getting a 3 hour or the like. i have learned a lot and part of that is about getting real time feedback on better or worse food choices. 

i dont think the issue is if i or the doctor can get me to spike, but if i am getting to high as i go about my life. i test fasting one and two hour, and have learned alot and also learned to keep it in the zone i want.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#37 of 49 Old 11-15-2010, 06:27 PM

I declined it last time and will again, and if I ever thought I was developing symptoms of GD, I just tested my blood sugar with a blood sugar monitor. My DH is diabetic though, so those things were pretty available to me. I tested my blood sugar once a week upon rising and after a meal for the last 12 weeks of pregnancy, and they were always normal. I just have heard there's so many false positives, so it seemed silly to do it.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#38 of 49 Old 08-28-2011, 05:26 PM

tracymom01 got it right with her comment:

This was taken from the VERY mainstream WebMD site:
   Pregnancy and Gestational Diabetes Screening
   All pregnant patients should be screened for gestational diabetes during their pregnancy. Screening may bedone via patient history, clinical risk factors, or laboratory screening (the oral       glucose tolerance test.

also check out  http://texanesemama.blogspot.com/2011/08/prenatal-glucose-test-is-it-necessary.html

#39 of 49 Old 08-28-2011, 09:04 PM

I did it with my first pregnancy and it was fine, so I'm skipping it this time.  

Anna (29) & DH (30) partners.gif 6.2006 :: love.gif 2.2008 :: babygirl.gif 1.2012    I'm a proud hbac.gif mama!

#40 of 49 Old 08-29-2011, 01:12 AM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi, I havent read the other posts, but yes there may be other signs of GD such as glucose may show up in your urine.  Did you pass the test last time?  The results will likely be the same.  I refused mine this time.  I am very healthy, my test was negative last time, and there is no family history of diabetese or GD so I felt good refusing it and my Dr and midwife agreed.

#41 of 49 Old 08-29-2011, 06:23 PM

I have gestational diabetes and I have absolutely no symptoms. In fact, I have it pretty badly. I am a healthy weight, have only put on 12 pounds (at 30 weeks) and my baby is not measuring big at this point. So, when I found out I have it, they said I'd be one of those people who just tweek your diet and exercise and everything is fine. Even though I follow the diet PERFECTLY, and I am on a way lower carb diet than most people with GD, my numbers keep going up. Not because I'm not doing everything right, but because my pancrease is freaking out with these pregnancy hormones. Wednesday I start insulin injections. Even at this point, when my numbers spike, I have no symptoms. I feel totally fine. I wouldn't have any clue that my baby is being flooded with glucose if I hadn't taken the test. My risk factors were that Im 35 (didn't have any problem in previous pregnancy) and I have some family members with type 2, but I assumed it was because they had terrible diets.

#42 of 49 Old 08-29-2011, 06:30 PM

Also wanted to add, that my OB is in no way freaking out over the diagnosis. She keeps telling me "This is normal pregnancy stuff" like a cheerleader, even though I'm freaking out. She isn't planning any changes to the birth other than checking baby's blood sugar after birth.

#43 of 49 Old 08-29-2011, 07:04 PM

I did the screening for GD this pregnancy, but will not do it again in the future. I didn't have any risk factors, but ended up screening high. Then I was obligated to take the 3 hour diagnostic test by my midwife or risk losing my midwife. I had already tweaked my diet and had done some home blood testing that indicated my sugars were fine so I didn't think I should have to do the test. For the majority of people, GD can be managed with diet and exercise anyway. In the end, I took the test and my sugars were well within normal. Had I failed the test, I could have lost my midwife and my dream of a home birth. I certainly wouldn't have risked a home birth if I had GD that could not be managed through diet and exercise. However, it seemed to me that my midwife felt that the diagnosis itself might be enough to have my care transferred. The entire exercise was very stressful and I wouldn't elect to go through it again.

Mother to a wonderful little girl, born Sept/2011 via h20homebirth.gif and enjoyingbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif

Currently belly.gif(EDD: February 2014)

#44 of 49 Old 08-29-2011, 08:41 PM

This conversation has been much better than I anticipated - I expected to read this & get angry at all the misinformation but I think it's been a pretty good conversation overall.

It seems to me that most people are more concerned about how they will be treated if given the label than anything else & I think that is more about who you have chosen as your care provider over anything else. This is my 2nd gd pregnancy & really I haven't had a terrible experience with care providers - slightly more monitoring than I would like but nothing invasive or upsetting has been pushed on me.

I really want to reiterate what pp have said that you may NOT experience other symptoms. I feel fine. I felt fine last time too. I get NO poor symptoms when my bg is high & my bg has too dangerously low before I feel bad. How you are feeling just simply is not good enough a measure.

As well, diet is not necessarily a big risk factor. With my first it probably contributed a bit but this time there was literally nothing the dietician could suggest to improve my diet. Many women develop gd without risk factors - they simply tell you you are at higher risk - they don't guarantee you will or will not develop it.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#45 of 49 Old 08-29-2011, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I have three risk factors... age, overweight and family history (grandparents siblings, so it's pretty far off) and decided against the test. I was actually planning on taking it this time because I'm a lot older this time around, and DH has type 2 so I know this baby will be more likely to have diabetes and I was thinking I might be able to improve it's chances of not having it if I try really hard not to have GD (keep your logic away from me!!)

The midwife asked why I don't just monitor myself at home, so that's what I've been doing. DH even had an extra monitor so  it's MINE now. I test about 5X a day, one day a week to see how I'm doing. I am to test the following day if I get any high numbers. I've done a few random tests at opportune times... like after the kids and I went for a slurpee. My average is 5.2, and I don't often see a number higher than 6 (anything under 8.0 is good)

Often I get suddenly exhausted and feel like I need to lay down, and one day I tested my blood sugar when I felt like that. It was close to the tipping point to being too low, 4.2! Anytime that feeling hits if I check myself, it's in the low 4's... I wouldn't know this about myself if I had taken the 1 hour screening test. I'm being more careful not to forget lunch now!

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#46 of 49 Old 08-29-2011, 11:49 PM

I've chosen to do the test after thinking I wouldn't ever agree to it, for several reasons:

DH and I sat down and did some research, and contrary to what you would think, it seems like -most- people don't show any symptoms until the birth or around there. So you could very well have it, and not know. 

My doctor does the test with no preparation-- no extra drink, no fasting, so crazy restrictions- it's just done as part of a normal blood draw. 

I'm terrified of needles, but even worse with finger pricks- I get anxiety attacks even thinking about them- had my doctor insisted on the test being a prick, I would have said no, but was willing to compromise on the blood draw. 

I want to return home ASAP after the birth (hopefully within 12 hours), and logic serves that having the results from this test will make the ped feel better about releasing us early-- I'm willing to have blood drawn for that. 

I think it's all about weighing the pros and cons and how it will affect your pregnancy and your choices. For us, it was worth it. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#47 of 49 Old 08-30-2011, 12:25 PM

I think the test is worth taking. I have no risk factors and have GD. Also, I think it's important to realize that managing GD can be more complicated than simply eating a good diet. Some carbs spike my blood sugar and some don't. It isn't just a matter of not eating sugar. You have monitor for weeks to get a sense of what is safe to eat. Honestly, the only thing that has changed as far as my care is that I started going to the midwives every week, and I have to show them my sugar levels. They don't do ultrasounds to check for baby size or anything. If my sugars are controlled there really isn't a problem!

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#48 of 49 Old 09-02-2011, 08:24 PM

mushy - having zero risk factors is no guarantee you won't develop gd, but having a larger baby is considered a risk factor. As for the fasting thing - usually they want you to fast 'cause the first draw is supposed to be a fasting one.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#49 of 49 Old 09-03-2011, 02:21 PM

So, a non-fasting test is required for the screening glucose test. This test will not provide you with a diagnosis and many women will screen positive despite not having GD. It's usually a simple test involving one blood draw and either drinking a glucose test or eating a high carb meal. If you screen positive, you will be required to do the 3 hour fasting test which involves fasting for 10-12 hours and then getting three blood draws and drinking a much higher dose of glucose. This test can be quite uncomfortable - many people feel faint and vomit. Eating a high carb meal directly before doing the non-fasting test can result in your blood sugars being much higher than they normally would and can cause you to screen positive. This is why the non-fasting test is considered the "gold standard" for diagnosis diabetes, whether gestational or not.

And yes, managing GD is not simply about not eating sugar - it's about eating the right carbs in the right combination. A diagnosis of GD involves a consult with a nutritionist to develop a meal plan to manage it. If it's not managed with diet, then insulin is prescribed. Where I live, midwives can't manage patients who require insulin and thus any diagnosis of GD requires that they at minimum consult with an OB, an endocrinologist, and a nutritionist.

Mother to a wonderful little girl, born Sept/2011 via h20homebirth.gif and enjoyingbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif

Currently belly.gif(EDD: February 2014)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page