Fish Oil, Flaxseed oil, and borage oil? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-13-2010, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Okay I'm really confused.  A while back I bought this because it had fish oil in it.  Its listed as 'Triple Omega 3-6-9'.  At the time I knew nothing about flax or borage oils.  I took them for a few days and stopped.  I'm not 100% sure if this may have caused my premature labor scare (contractions every 20 minutes for 3 days) but I stopped taking them anyway after Googling 'Borage Oil'.  I guess its like Evening Primrose Oil but a little stronger.  I decided I was going to wait until I was term to start taking them again.  I'm 36w6d and I took one just because I was too impatient to wait for tomorrow morning.

Now I'm reading that flaxseed oil isn't supposed to be taken during pregnancy because it can 'mess with estrogen levels'!  What the heck does that mean?!  Some sources still say its safe if taken in the recommended amounts and other sources say it can cause premature birth.  (Well technically as long as I don't have him in the next 5 and a half hours its not premature.)

Label says:  For adults, take one softgel three times daily, preferably with meals.

Serving size 1 Softgel

400 mg Fish Oil

400 mg Organic Flaxseed Oil

400 mg Borage Oil

So... please help.  What do you know, what do you think, and what would you do?  Please post sources if you have any.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2010, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Bumping.

I'm not sure if I'm just imagining it but I think I'm starting to get more Braxton Hicks after just one capsule...  If I keep taking it I think I'm going to wait a while to take another dose!

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
Old 11-13-2010, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i have been taking a 3-6-9 for this entire pregnancy. mine has 7,000 mgs of Omega-3 (LNA, DHA and EPA), nearly 2,500 mgs of Omega-6 (LA and GLA) and more than 2,500 mgs of Omega-9 (Oleic acid) according to the website, and here i sit just shy of 30 weeks with twins and doing great.

i am having BH the last little while, but no issues about to many or cervical changes, so im thinking they are a normal part of things and my midwife and OBs agree fully. they all know im taking the oils

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 11-14-2010, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

There is a good book called 'Fats that Heal and Fats that Kill" by Udo Erasmus. He was one of the pioneers of the omega movements back int he day. I never have done just Flax oil or really any of them b/c the book taught me of the importance of the proper ratio of 3-6-9's. In nature the closest thing with the correct ratio is Hemp oil and I do have a couple bottle and put it on my rice with Braggs and Nutritional yeast...yummy. I have always bought Udo's 3-6-9 blend. I just really trust him and his products as he didn't just jump on the bandwagon but seems pretty committed to the science of how it all works. I recently, well a couple months before I got pregnant started taking this stuff called Cromega, they are super yummy squeeze packets of highly absorbable Omegas. You can order for cheap on Amazon and are so worth it as it is an easy way to ensure daily intake of your omegas.....which is CRUCIAL for brain development in our babies!

Owlgirl w/ life partner of 7 years & Nadia Avani 12/18/10.

User Tag List