Mellow in the womb = mellow baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 11-18-2010, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Both my kids were as ornery in the womb as they are now.  My newest is rather relaxed, which is very new to me.  So, I got to wondering if their personality in the womb translates to how they are when they get here?

Blessed helpmeet to my man, mama to Cody, Sarai & newly born Rebekah
#2 of 22 Old 11-18-2010, 09:34 AM

With my first pregnancy my daughter was so mellow. She hardly moved around at night when I was sleeping and was kinda on her own schedule in there. I knew exactly what times during the days she would be most active and when she wouldn't. It was like clockwork. When she was born she was the exact same way. She slept through the night almost immediately and was just a really awesome mellow baby.

3 years later she's still the best night sleeper ever but is a total nut job during the day. :) 

I'm only 14 weeks pregnant now so i'm curious to see how this one acts while on the inside and if it will be the same when he/she is on the outside. 

#3 of 22 Old 11-18-2010, 09:44 AM

Oh that would be really nice if that's the way it worked!! My first was a crazy man in the womb and has been a crazy man since the day he was born. He's not been a great sleeper either. This one is so different, he stops moving if anyone puts a hand to my belly to feel him, even if I do it. He's flipped around a lot, but his movements are very different. All around much more calm, I guess time will tell!

Jessica, wife to Greg since 7/04, mama to the rainbow1284.gif Gman 7/06, 3 brokenheart.gif , rainbow1284.gif Asher 1/11 and a wonderful surprise due in August!

#4 of 22 Old 11-18-2010, 09:48 AM

i always thought it worked that way, but not in my experience.  my most mellow baby was the most active in the womb.

Mom to 6 kiddo's (C 01/05, K 11/05, M 11/06, A 02/07, T 03/08, J 12/10) and happily married to best friend Big T.
#5 of 22 Old 11-18-2010, 09:49 AM

In my experience the baby in the womb is the same baby who is born thumb.gif

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#6 of 22 Old 11-18-2010, 11:10 AM

I'm not sure exactly how mellow my DS was.  I had an anterior placenta with him and it kept me from feeling some movements I know.  But I don't remember a lot of movement from him either.  Unfortunately, he wasn't the best sleeper (unless in the car), and even today he is a very energetic young guy.

I'm hoping that things are the opposite in my case,  since this one is extremely busy in there dancing and moving and such.

Aleyna - Mom to 6 yo DS1 wild.gifRascal and DS2 Tiny born 03/24/11
#7 of 22 Old 11-18-2010, 11:16 AM

DD1 was very mellow in utero. She was slow to walk/crawl, but she nursed around the clock and didn't sleep that much, could only be nursed to sleep, etc. She is a pretty spirited toddler. 

DD2 was super active in utero. She is the mellowest, sleepiest baby. At less than 6 weeks she STTN and can be put down for a nap while still awake. 

So in my experience activity in utero was no indication of temperament... although DD2 did have near constant hiccups in utero and she frequently gets them now :) 

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
#8 of 22 Old 11-18-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post

In my experience the baby in the womb is the same baby who is born thumb.gif

This.

My oldest was crazy active, and remained that way after birth (I didn't like the term "high needs" at the time, but....).

My second was really mellow, and after he was born he was one of those mythical babies that slept through the night since birth and almost never cried.

#9 of 22 Old 11-18-2010, 12:02 PM

I'm interested as well because this baby is so much calmer than DD was in the womb. It's still so surprising and crazy to realize that this baby already has a distinct personality different from my daughter.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#10 of 22 Old 11-18-2010, 01:13 PM

That has been the case for me. My first was incredibly active in the womb and he has not stopped moving yet. My second was (and is) about average, energy-wise. My third was very mellow; she was a very mellow baby and slept through the night from the beginning. I have five kids and she is the only one who has EVER voluntarily taken a nap. 

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#11 of 22 Old 11-18-2010, 01:22 PM

Yes for me.

DS1 was constantly active in the womb and still is.

DS2 was pretty quiet with occasional big dramatic movements in the womb, and he's the same now. He spends a lot of time laying down or sitting while he plays but will get these random bursts of activity that turn him into an insane ball of energy for about 5 minutes. Also, he spent the last trimester of pregnancy pushing his feet up against my ribs (ouch!). He's almost 5 now, and he still can't sleep unless his feet are pushing on something.

DS3 was very mellow in the womb and at 20 months is still my most mellow and easy-going kid.

I'm 41 wks. 1 day pregnant with our first girl (another mellow little one) and I'm curious to see how much this holds true for her.

#12 of 22 Old 11-18-2010, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My DS was very mellow in the womb and is a very mellow, easy going baby. I was able to predict his active times because that's when he was active in the womb. He pretty much stayed in the same position, kicked me in the same places and is still very much the same.

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#13 of 22 Old 11-18-2010, 08:36 PM

man i really hope not.. this little one has been absolutely nuts in the womb and i've been feeling her banging around in there since about week 12 which is crazy early i know ... but i have!! her kicks have only gotten stronger and stronger and the comments of our midwives is always a resounding, "boy, your little one is really active in there!"

my first was the most mellow baby ever and an awesome sleeper, but i don't remember if she was this hyper in the womb. if there's any correlation, i'm in for it once march arrives lol. guess i'll be saying goodbye to sleeping in with my daughter til 10 and ushering in sleepless nights/early mornings

mommy to "mine" (7), "his" (5), and preggers with "ours" due march 2011!!! 

heartbeat.gifIts a GIRL!!!!
#14 of 22 Old 11-19-2010, 06:02 AM

I have two kids and this has held true for me...DS1 is not THAT mellow anymore (he's 5 :P) but he was a really laid back baby, and not super active in the womb.  I started feeling DS2 moving around 12 weeks and he was go, go, go from then on in...and he still hasn't stopped at 2.5 years old!

This baby seems on the quiet side, though it's still early to know for sure (I'm just over 16 weeks, so feeling some movement but it's not regular yet - still too many places for baby to hide).  I am hopeful for another mellow one! :P

#15 of 22 Old 11-19-2010, 06:59 AM

My son was pretty active - I also worked during my pregnancy, so that might have been an issue. I was a health inspector, and one of the more amusing things he would do was just kick like mad and pretend to be a pinball whenever I had to inspect certain types of establishments that I really, really hated inspecting.

It was funny because I was inspecting a larger place with another inspector and got this pained look on my face and had to sit down for a moment, and the other inspector asked if I was ok. I told him that my son was beating the crap out of me on the inside and the other inspector jokingly replied "Well, if I were him, I wouldn't want to be here either. This place is disgsting! He's just doing his part to try to keep his mum away, too!" 

My son was born early at 34w5d, and was a very sweet and mellow kid. He was STTN at about 2 months and rarely fussed. 

The daughter on the way has been quiet - to the point where we've nicknamed her Princess Ninja. She'll pop off a couple of kicks here and there, but otherwise, all she really does is stealthy flips. She'll probably figure out how to call for pizza and go get it before she's born ;)

fencing.gif Carolina Kel 
Pagan * Grad Student * Amateur Ninja * Bibliophile * Photographer * Cyberpunk* Cooking Diva * Wife to RJ & Partner to Abeja * Mamí Valkyrie to Eiríkr (2/26/2009), Skaði (3/18/2011) and a surprise munchkin due 8-23-2012 * I love my tribe of hearts! *

#16 of 22 Old 11-19-2010, 07:03 AM

My second baby was very active in the womb and was such a calm, mellow baby, hardly cried.  Then he became a very spirited toddler and child.  My third baby was so mellow in the womb and was sort of a fussy baby but not too bad.  Now as a toddler he is pretty easy going and mellow.

#17 of 22 Old 11-19-2010, 08:05 AM

I've had several, and I would say absolutely! They were very different in the way they moved in the womb, and that's how I would describe their personalities today! Really neat!

#18 of 22 Old 11-20-2010, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input, mamas!  I hope I'll have my first easygoing baby lol.  My ds was a wild man in the womb and out.  My dd was definitely more mellow than my ds, but still not laid back by any means.

Blessed helpmeet to my man, mama to Cody, Sarai & newly born Rebekah
#19 of 22 Old 11-23-2010, 08:51 PM

Both my kids were very active babies while I was pregnant.  My daughter was fussy, cried a lot and wanted to be held a lot.  My son was a very calm relaxed baby who slept very well from the start and hardly ever cried.  There was no difference in their in-womb activity level though.  I have yet to figure this one out - I'm only 19 weeks :P

Mummy to DD-8yrs (Jan-04), DS-5yrs (Dec-06) and DS2-19mths (Apr-11). pos.gif #4 EDD July 26 2013

nocirc.giflactivist.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifbfolderchild.gif

#20 of 22 Old 11-24-2010, 09:40 AM

I was actually talking to my mom about this yesterday... I've always been very fidgety and have a hard time staying still, both as a child and now, and apparently I moved around constantly in the womb. My grandmother says my mom rarely moved, and mom's always been a more calm, reserved person who can sit quietly for ages.

#21 of 22 Old 11-24-2010, 11:30 AM

I had 3 anterior placentas so movements were a little muffled but the babies did match their womb personalities and sleep schedules. My first dd was the most mellow in the womb and my most mellow newborn. She now has her issues but she never was very crazy or hyper. My ds moved the most and didn't have long quiet periods and he was my most active baby. He didn't sleep well and was more high needs and when he learned to walk he was crazy. My last was in between and her personality is in between the other two. She slept a lot in utero and is a good sleeper but when she was active it was more active than my dd and she is a little less mellow than my dd. My kids did have their personalities even in the womb.

Dianna environmentally educated tree hugging mom of dd 9/06 and ds 10/08 newbie dd 9/10
#22 of 22 Old 11-24-2010, 11:40 PM

Mellow in mellow out for me. I don't know if it is universal. My first was very very active in the womb and after she was born she needed much more attention than my second who was very mellow. He was a good sleeper and to this day can entertain himself very well where as my first is much more of an interactive person. I am pregnant with #3 now and this is the most active baby. So we'll see how it goes afterward. ;)

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page