What can u/s tell about the cord? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-19-2010, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I probably should have asked this ages ago, but there's been so much going on, and I just realized that tomorrow with probably (hopefully) be my last ultrasound this pregnancy.

My last baby was born with a 2x nuchal cord and true knot.  Most of the 15-ish hour labor (after 6 and 7 hour labors with the previous two) went okay, but the very end got scary.

Ds was born at 42 weeks, and I had had a couple of u/s in that last week and a half or two, but nobody ever mentioned any cord issues.

I don't think I'm quite *paranoid* about repeat cord issues - I know it's a pretty random thing, but I can't deny having concerns.  Can't/shouldn't an u/s tech be able to check on something like that?  It seems simple enough to me, but then I have to wonder why it wasn't caught before, when we were doing BPPs.  This scan is technically just to check up on IUGR risk, so I don't even know if they're "allowed" to check on other things.

Thoughts?

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#2 of 4 Old 11-19-2010, 04:54 PM

I had the same issue with my son (true knot) and had it not been for a very good midwife and hubby saying no way, I would have ended up with an emergency C-Section.  He was fine in the end but it was still scary.  This time around, I asked at the Level II ultrasound if they could find something like that and was told not likely and that a knot could still form between then and birth.

-Astrid 

#3 of 4 Old 11-19-2010, 05:44 PM

Most likely you would need a level II ultrasound with color flow doppler to see cord abnormalities.  Talk to your practitioner if you are feeling anxious or worried and see if they think it would be warranted.  Knots/nuchal cords are more of an anomaly than something that would repeat itself so it may be that they may not feel a level II is indicated - especially since you are so far along.  But really, it is your body and your baby and if you want to check than make that known!  

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#4 of 4 Old 11-19-2010, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  I didn't even think about the different levels.  This scan is just a basic, so I guess that's out for tomorrow!

I'll definitely discuss it at my next visit.  To be honest, I think I'm more worried about what my reaction might be if there are any blips during this labor than I am about *actual* cord issues, you know?  I'm glad I was able to both avoid a c-section and have a healthy baby, but I'm starting to question where my head might be during this labor.

I've thought about it in the context of dealing with an actual fluke repeat, but I never considered how I might respond to "normal" little glitches.  I don't know if that warrents more scans, but I'm beginning to see that it's something I have to work through in the next couple of weeks!

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page