Anyone use progesterone to prevent miscarriage? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-19-2010, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hope I am in the right forum for this.  Just wondering if any one that suffers from miscarriages has tried this.  I am only 5 weeks pregnant.  The doc is testing my progesterone, but I haven't heard back yet. TIA

DH, and Me plus baby girl (10/07)
#2 of 6 Old 11-20-2010, 02:43 PM

I am. I have had 2 early losses and we have been ttc for 4 years since my daughter was 1. I have a short leuteal phase, usually around 9 days. I read that progesterone levels can vary from time to time, so the bw might not show it as low. I was doing iui's at a fertility clinic, so after my last loss, I talked to my doc and said that I wanted to do progesterone supplementation. She said sure, and next cycle I got pg, and so far so good. I just think that if I'm getting my period 9dpo, and it can take that long to get implantation, I think there were other little zygotes that never had a chance to set up shop. I'll stay on it until week10, then the placenta will be doing the work.
HTH

Jen
Together with DH 20 years, mom to a 5 year old daughter,
finally pg with #2 july 2/2011

#3 of 6 Old 11-20-2010, 05:05 PM

I took progesterone until week 12.  I had previously had three miscarriages due to a luteal phase defect.  Are you charting your cycles?  It's a great idea to do it for at least a few months to see how things are looking.  Usually, starting progesterone after you know you are pregnant is too late.  I started each cycle three days after ovulation and continued until 14 days past ovulation (when I took a pregnancy test) or until my period started. (if it started before that).

I'm at 34 weeks right now, so it worked for me. 

Honestly, I was taking Clomid and Dexomethasone to help with the luteal defect too.  I'm not sure the progesterone was necessary, but it sure made me feel better.

#4 of 6 Old 11-20-2010, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats to you both.

I started spotting today, called the midwife and she said my prog. is low at a 5, prescribed progesterone.  The spotting has stopped for now, but I am preparing for the worst.

If I lose this one we may do clomid, too.

Weird thing that happened.

Thur. went for the pregnancy blood test.  Friday I hear it is positive.  I remind the nurse that I have history of miscarriages and can we do anything about it.  She says I'll call the lab and see if they still have your blood sample to check progesterone levels.  Yes they have it and will do further testing with the same sample.  I was waiting all day friday for the results....

Saturday afternoon start spotting.  Call the midwife to see what we can do.   She says I can look up the results of the lab work.  She comes back and says that it's negative for pregnancy and low progesterone level of 5.  Huh??? 

I was pregnant on Friday and not pregnant on Saturday with the same blood sample.  Neither one of us can figure what happened.  Monday I will go back to the lab for a new sample.  By then I may have miscarried...the wait begins.

DH, and Me plus baby girl (10/07)
#5 of 6 Old 11-21-2010, 07:21 PM

Sorry- you may have had a chemical pregnancy (going by what I've read on other's experiences with this).

#6 of 6 Old 11-23-2010, 10:17 AM

Sorry, I know how hard it is! ((((hugs)))) Okay, my opinion might differ from some...

I posted on a multiple miscarriage board (I have had 4 losses) for a few years and from what I have seen, the success of progesterone is controversal. This is because, many times low progesterone is the symptom, NOT the cause, of m/c. After my 3rd loss I remember reading a study (I will try to locate it for you) on how the presence of low progesterone is evidence of a failing pregnancy, but it is not the cause... do you kwim? I think it said something like, if your prog level is 28 or above in early pregnancy, the pregnancy is a "healthy" pregnancy that will survive. Then it said there is a gray area, maybe from 10 or 15 to 28, where the pregnancies can go either way. And then anything under 10 was doomed to fail. I wish I could remember the exact numbers, so don't quote me. My 4th loss (which I lost around 9/10 weeks) had a progesterone level of 18 very early on (which I guess would be a "gray area", going by the study). My next pregnancy had a progesterone level of 29, and that baby turned out to be my second son! My doctor doesn't really believe in progesterone supplementation because it just prolongs a pregnancy that would not survive anyway.

I know some women swear by it. But I have seen women going through m/c after m/c, using progesterone supps, who don't take it with the next pregnancy and that one sticks. I have never used progesterone supplementation, but I understand why women with loss after loss want to. I do understand very well being desperate to do anything, anything, to help baby stick, so I don't knock those that choose to do it.

Just wanted to give you another prospective. I will try to find that study for you.

Mommy to beauties DS1 (7), DS2 (4, autism), & DS3 (2)

and many angel babies angel1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page