Did your "intuition" about gender turn out correct? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 01-01-2011, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I knew with all 3 what I was going to have no US either

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#32 of 59 Old 01-02-2011, 11:00 PM

It did with my son. We didn't know for sure until he was born, but I called him by name when he kicked me. I was sure.This time I'm sure, too. We will get a late 20 week ultrasound this Wed and hopefully find out if we are right on our guess this time around.

#33 of 59 Old 01-03-2011, 12:18 PM

With DD1 I knew she was a girl from the moment of conception.  I was absolutely certain, reffered to her as "her" the whole time, and only picked out one boy name as a back up.

With DD2 the pregnancy was sooooo different I was convinced she was a boy.  Her father's parents only have 4 grand daughters out of 27 grand kids (2 of them are my girls), so we were very sure she was a boy.  We didn't even bother with a girl name for her!  When she came out and my midwife said "it's a girl!" I made her double check and show me! 

After that I'm reluctant to try and guess about this baby.  My family and DP are all hoping for a boy.  I think it might be a boy, again because this pregnancy has been very different from the others, but based on that I'm not saying anything either way.  We'll just have to wait and see.

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#34 of 59 Old 01-04-2011, 10:42 AM

I had a dream early on in my first pregnancy about DD and it looked exactly like her (big brown curls, brown eyes etc. she was even nursing as a toddler in the dream, which was strange since at that point I was planning at weaning at a year!). Then later in that pregnancy I had two more dreams one with her much older as a teen (still looked the same but older) and there was a younger boy... about 2-3 years younger than her.  I had another dream too where there were three kids.  DD, a boy, and then a little girl. 

Well... here I am 2 years later after having DD and pregnant again so I'm pretty convinced I'm having a boy.  MIL also had a dream that I'll be having a boy.  We won't know for awhile but in the meantime I'm trying to resist buying boy suits. ;)

ETA: as for the symptoms.  I craved meat like a mad women with DD and grapes too... guess what the kid likes now!  I think it had more to do with her eating habits (that she gets from DH) than anything else.

#35 of 59 Old 01-09-2011, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My first, I knew he was a boy, and he was.  This one felt like a girl, but I'm pretty sure now it's a boy- little boy parts showing in three ultrasounds.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#36 of 59 Old 01-09-2011, 05:53 PM

I knew when I was young that I would have four children, and that they would be girl, girl, boy, girl.

With my first pregnancy I was so unsure of myself I didn't allow myself to feel an intuition on the gender. Added to that EVERYBODY told me I was having a boy. I was utterly confused. Turned out it was a girl.

With my second I was so convinced I was having a girl, I lied to people and told them I had an ultrasound and I knew it was a girl. I was right.

With my third I lied and said I had an ultrasound and it showed boy. I was right.

With my fourth I ended up actually having an ultrasound, but I knew the baby was a girl before it was confirmed.

Oddly, I associated colors with each of the pregnancies. Pregnancy #1 was yellow so that wasn't much help. Pregnancy #2 was purple. Pregnancy #3 was hunter green. Pregnancy #4 was pink. I don't know how to describe the color association. It's weird.

#37 of 59 Old 01-09-2011, 07:12 PM

with my first i didnt really have any gender predictions..

with this one.. i was dead wrong! EVERYTHING about this pregnancy has been totally different from my first and everything said boy.. chinese gender prediction, friends/family, im carrying so low this baby is practically in my knees but at our 20week sono we found out that its a girl and she was spread eagle so i got to see her little girly parts lol. NO ONE was more shocked than me.

mommy to "mine" (7), "his" (5), and preggers with "ours" due march 2011!!! 

heartbeat.gifIts a GIRL!!!!
#38 of 59 Old 01-10-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteHorse View Post

This is my third pregnancy. I barely remember my first - I was very young and not paying attention to anything back then - turned out to be twin boys. My second was 3 years ago when I "knew" it was a boy. I felt "boyish" and had a distinct surge in sex drive around 3 months, and also terrible heartburn which I was told was from the testosterone. And yep, it was a boy. Now I am preg about 17 weeks. No sex drive, no heartburn, and much more sore boobs, moody, etc. I am thinking these are more girl symptoms. Does anyone have any similar experiences?

Well, DH tells me I had no sex drive with DH. This time, uhm, the opposite - that is when I'm not in pain from uti's or yeast infections. I was moodier with DS than this time around. In fact overall my moods have been pretty leveled out this time. DS - all over the place. Ask DH, lol he hated that part. I can't remember heartburn for DS, but this time it's been pretty bad. I had it for 3 days in a row, and it seemed to not matter what I did or didn't eat.

Anyway, I posted earlier that our instincts said GIRL and found out last Wednesday that she's a girl on the 20 week ultrasound. So, once again, instincts proved right for us.

#39 of 59 Old 01-10-2011, 08:08 AM

I had "the dream" with the first 4 kids and it was 100% accurate!  5th kid, I was just so sure it was a boy....I\the only oufit I had bought was for a boy, and we had only picked boys names!  We did have an ultrasound sometime around 24 weeks to check on a misdiagnosed extra placental lobe, and ....Voila'!!! girl parts!  complete shock....all of us.  Of course, throughout the rest of the pregnancy I was convinced that she'd somehow GROW a penis!  Seems that my DD1 had the dream intended for me...she "knew" the whole time!

me-45, DH-46, ds1-23, ds2-18, dd1-17, dd2-14, dd3-4....hoping for #6.....

#40 of 59 Old 01-10-2011, 10:55 AM

With each of my kids and with close friends and family I have been 100% sure, cannot even fathom the other option, and i have been 100% wrong each  and every time!

It is hard to trust myself (or not trust myself?) this time because I have definitely established a pattern so it is hard not to second guess.

#41 of 59 Old 01-10-2011, 04:19 PM

Yes, both times I felt I was having a boy and I have 2 boys.

~Attatchment and Natural Parent from instincts not from books to my 2 boys~ Childbirth Educator & Placental Encapsulation Professional
homeschool.gif familybed2.gif homebirth.jpgribbonpb.gif
#42 of 59 Old 01-11-2011, 04:26 AM

With DS, my first instinct, at like 10 weeks was boy, then that changed for awhile, and I thought I was having a girl. U/S revealed that it was a boy. So yea, first instinct was right. With this pregnancy, my first instinct was girl(at first I thought it was wishful thinking), but U/S revealed a girl. So yep, I was right :)

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#43 of 59 Old 01-11-2011, 01:52 PM

I think mammatoabunch should be playing the lottery! The odds of getting 10 50/50 guesses right are less than 1/10th of 1 percent (or less than 1 in a thousand).

I do think this kind of thread tends to suffer from confirmation bias, since people who either were wrong or didn't have a strong intuition either way won't think about intuition regarding sex of the baby (which is not the same as gender) and won't post here.

Anyway, I have no data because I don't know yet if this babe is a boy or a girl. I had a dream it was a boy, but I'm not sure if that means it was a boy or just that I've spent a lot of time trying to prepare my husband (who wants a girl) for the eventuality that we may have a boy!

#44 of 59 Old 01-11-2011, 02:53 PM

I'm 3 for 4.  But 75% doesn't sound that great, lol. 

As far as "confirmation bias", my correct guesses were all from the very beginning and widely known.  Meaning, everybody I knew knew what I thought...and I didn't go back and forth.  :shrug  I was pretty sure my last was a boy, but went back and forth a bit...but, when she was born a girl it didn't phase me a bit.  I mean, I will never say that I guessed right...I was off, no doubt about it.  But, she was exactly who she was supposed to be.  It was strange how right it all seemed.  Anyway, I think some people can just be really in tune with things.

I also predicted 2 of the four due dates right on, and 3 of the conceptions (months ahead of time).  (I didn't predict the first). 

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#45 of 59 Old 02-28-2011, 06:49 PM

Well, my intuition and my mother's (she also dreamed we were having a boy) are both wrong! Found out today it's a girl. :D

#46 of 59 Old 02-28-2011, 08:05 PM

I knew with my first that she was a girl. But I couldn't tell if I just wanted a girl that badly or if it was really intuition. Sure enough, girl! I just poas today and got my BFP and my first thought has been boy. So, we'll see.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#47 of 59 Old 03-01-2011, 07:47 AM

With my first, I had dreams even before I was pregnant about a little boy with blue eyes and blonde hair. Not long before the ultrasound, I had a dream where everyone I knew was in the nursery, painting, putting the crib together, etc. but it was all pink and girly. I screamed at everyone to get out, this was all wrong. I was having a boy! I was right. I have a little boy with blonde hair and blue eyes smile.gif

This time, I have no idea! I have already had a lot of dreams about this baby, but none of them about the sex. My husband is completely convinced that it's a girl. So much so that he refers to the baby as the girl name we picked out! I'm going to feel bad if it's another boy...

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#48 of 59 Old 03-01-2011, 10:41 AM

Edited.

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015
#49 of 59 Old 03-05-2011, 04:44 PM

I'm 1 out of 4...I knew with DD that it was a girl from the time I took a test...I had always wanted a boy first but as soon as I saw that BFP I knew it was a girl...I haven't been right since then.  Part of it is that I have really wanted DD to have a sister...and part of it is that all my pregnancies have been really similar as far as symptoms go, except this last one where I was much sicker and for a lot longer than with any of my other pregnancies.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#50 of 59 Old 03-06-2011, 06:29 AM

I have only had a very clear intuition once, with my second pregnancy, and I was right.  With my first I had no idea, and with this one I thought it was a girl for a long time but then about 2 weeks before the ultrasound I had a very vivid dream that it was a boy, so that made me undecided.  The dream was correct, it is a boy.  When I thought it was a girl, it wasn't a true intuition, it was just a way for me to explain why my morning sickness and fatigue were so much more severe this time around.

I'm reading a book called Pink Brain, Blue Brain about sex differences in babies and children, and she addressed the topic of whether mothers can know intuitively what their baby's sex is going to be.  The research that has been done on the issue indicates that more highly educated mothers are right more often than less educated mothers, but that those who are correct are far more likely to say that they "just knew"  or "had a feeling" as opposed to making a deduction based on pregnancy symptoms or any other kind of old wives' tale (e.g. how they are carrying).  I thought that was interesting, and it does reflect my experience!

SAHM to Bird (6/07) and Bear (7/09), and now enjoying our newest additionbabyboy.gif, born June 1, 2011!  bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.gif

#51 of 59 Old 03-06-2011, 06:54 AM

Sort of, in the sense that I wanted a girl so badly I was pretty sure it would be a boy (and it's a boy).  ;)

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#52 of 59 Old 03-08-2011, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

So far I'm right :) I feel like I am going to have a flock of boys, maybe one girl thrown in for good measure. So far I'm off to a good start with boys!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#53 of 59 Old 03-08-2011, 01:22 PM

Nope. I was 200% convinced DD1 was a boy. I was right about DD2 (assuming the ultrasound was correct, which has yet to be confirmed).

So basically, my prediction rate is as good as chance. :P

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#54 of 59 Old 03-09-2011, 01:17 PM

With my daughter, I didn't have a strong feeling either way. I was leaning a tiny bit more towards her being a girl, but wasn't sure. We didn't find out ahead of time.

Now I'm pregnant with my second. The moment after my husband and I looked at the positive test, we both said it was a boy. I have no idea why we both felt so sure this time. But we were right--we decided to find out the sex this time and it is indeed a boy!

#55 of 59 Old 03-10-2011, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Ooh I just wish I could answer this question better. With DD I knew from just about the time I took the pregnancy test that she was a girl. Enough so that I bought girl clothes and didn't worry much about a boy name. I had dreams about her being a girl all the time, and the one dream I had with a boy baby I was at my friend's house and I said "This isn't my baby" and they all looked very concerned and said "Yes it is." and I just said "Nope" and set it on their kitchen counter and left.

This time around I'm not sure. I'm slightly leaning more towards boy, but I really want another girl. Maybe I'm trying to set myself up for not getting a girl? And we only talked about boys names, since we were already on the same page for a girl name. I definitely thought boy at first, but then it just kind of went away and now I just can't wait to find out! 19 days until the ultrasound.

girl reading.gif absolutely in love with boy modifiedartist.gif.  DD loveeyes.gif (11/06) and DS luxlove.gif (08/11), and someone new in July stork-suprise.gif!
#56 of 59 Old 03-12-2011, 02:45 PM

With DS1, I had no intuition at all. I kept having dreams of a girl, I always felt like i'd be a mother of girls. Turns out he was a boy. DS2, I knew straight away that he was a boy. I reallllly wanted a girl, but deep down I knew he was a boy. This baby is a girl, I knew it from the start and I just found out a few weeks ago that she is 100% GIRL! So I have been right 2/3 times

#57 of 59 Old 03-15-2011, 10:26 PM

This is my first baby and in the very beginning I had three dreams all about boy anatomy.  Never actually saw a little boy or anything it was all u/s dreams. 

The first one I could see the baby on u/s but the brain was blue.  It was odd.  The second dream I had the u/s tech was like "look gonads" it's a boy and the third dream I had the male parts were actually there.  I was secretly hoping that my dreams would pan out but didn't want to get my hopes up too much in fear of "gender disappointment". 

I would love either gender equally but really wanted a boy.  I have five nieces and love them to bits but just have a special love for little boys! 

20 week u/s yesterday revealed ALL Boy.  I should know by now that I should always trust my intuition--it's usually right. 

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#58 of 59 Old 03-16-2011, 01:11 PM

I was right with all 3 (if the ultrasound is right with the current pregnancy).

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#59 of 59 Old 03-18-2011, 02:08 PM

I have a decent track record.

My first,  I was 100% convinced we were having a boy. I told dh as we walked into the clinic for an U/S at 18 weeks "If they say it's a girl I will probably pass out on the table from shock."

Well, there was absolutely zero doubt, all boy. We already had 4 names picked out, boys and girls, so there was no doubt what names we would use.

#2 I figured was probably a girl. Right again. I thought #3 was a girl, but she was conceived when #2 was only about 4-5 months. I was stressed, sleep deprived, and most of it is still a blur. So I guess that doesn't "count." :) We were still working our way through our pre-chosen names, and yes, we still loved them all. So names were not in question.

#4 I was POSITIVE was a boy from the moment I got a positive HPT. I had the most vivid dream I have ever had before or since while pregnant with him, where I could see into my belly and see him very clearly. We had run out of girl names, but still both determined to use the boy name we had chosen. We went around and around trying to figure out a girl name, but we never did pick one. I said if we ended up with a girl she would just have to wait a while for a name. I even had a silly dream where the baby was born, looked VERY odd, nothing like anyone in our family, and people kept telling me what her name was, and I just kept saying "NO! That can't be her name! I would never name my baby that!"

#5 I thought was probably a girl. I wasn't completely sure. We had run out of names from our "list" but we came up with a boy's name fairly quickly. Again, we had some difficulty coming up with a girl name, I think we did pick one but it was never "Oh my that

s PERFECT" because i can't even remember it. I had several dreams about having a boy while asleep, but while awake I could never "picture" myself with a baby boy. It was bizarre. He passed away at 3 days old, so I never did walk around with my baby boy, but looking back that really odd dream I had where I had given birth to a boy but I was in a room full of old ladies and faded weird (funeral parlor type) decor, and he was wrapped in someone's black shawl suddenly made a lot more sense.

#6 I had a feeling was a girl. I had a girl name picked out before she was even conceived. I never told my kids about my experience of having a name just "come to me" in the middle of the night. But one day while we were driving around, my oldest girl suddenly said out of the blue "I miss Liam" (baby #5) and then I told her we all miss him very much. She got quiet for a minute, and then she said "We will love her." I said "Who sweetie?" And then she said the words that still give me chills "The little baby girl that's going to grow in your tummy. We will love her so much." She said this very earnestly and seriously. And a few seconds later she was back to joking around and saying silly stuff to her siblings, like nothing had happened. I got pregnant a couple months later. And DD was right, we DO love her, immensely. During my pregnancy, we asked each of our kids what I was having. The oldest said 'Boy' the girls said girl, the youngest boy said "Well... I want it to be boy, but it's a girl!" Doesn't that beat all?

This time:

Again, had a sense that this is a boy from the moment I suspected  I was pregnant. Dh and I started talking names right away, and immediately we both agreed on a boy name that feels just perfect. We even have a nickname for the boy name that we love. We figured we'd start talking girl names, and again, dead. end. I'd say a name and he'd go "Ew, no" I'd run down a list of names a mile long and one of em would be sort of meh not TOO terrible but nothing I loved. We ended up deciding if the baby is a girl we'll name her the feminine version of the boy name we picked out. Even so, I still sometimes feel meh about the name. I have been craving salty and meaty foods. I have felt a very strong drive to convince DH that if this is a boy he will not be circumcised (our older two are, and I regret it now). I felt similarly about circ while pregnant with #6, but I didn't press the issue like I have this time. I have had a couple dreams about having a boy, and DD1, who had the moment of "clairvoyance" about #6 has also been having dreams that I give birth to a baby boy. We asked our youngest what she thinks. She did the same thing as her older brother did last time. "I wish it was a girl, but it's a boy."

My personal preference is to not find out, but DH has been really wanting to find out, and has been bringing it up frequently. I decided to offer a compromise: I will give up something I feel strongly about (not finding out before the birth) if he will give in to my preferences on something he felt strongly about (circumcision). I didn't spring this on him, he's known I wanted him to re-examine his views for a couple months now, and he ultimately agreed to my compromise. So, hopefully next month we'll see what we can see.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page