Did your "intuition" about gender turn out correct? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 59 Old 11-26-2010, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is my third pregnancy. I barely remember my first - I was very young and not paying attention to anything back then - turned out to be twin boys. My second was 3 years ago when I "knew" it was a boy. I felt "boyish" and had a distinct surge in sex drive around 3 months, and also terrible heartburn which I was told was from the testosterone. And yep, it was a boy. Now I am preg about 17 weeks. No sex drive, no heartburn, and much more sore boobs, moody, etc. I am thinking these are more girl symptoms. Does anyone have any similar experiences?

Christ Lovin' SAHM to JL 11/07, MP 5/95 and Empty Nester to BT and RM 7/89
#2 of 59 Old 11-26-2010, 01:42 PM

Assuming the US I had this pg is correct, my intuition has been right for 3 of 4 of my kids. 

My feelings were never based on symptoms, just some sort of 'knowing' like you said.

1st baby, DS- he was way unplanned. But the second I poas and it was +, I thought "I'm having a boy" I was so sure that I wanted to find out at 20wks to prove it to everyone who didn't believe me :P

2nd baby, DD- I didn't know quite so early, I think it was closer to the second tri when I started feeling like I was SURE she was a girl. We didn't find out until she was born, but by that point, I was so sure that I forgot to check her 'parts' after birth until someone reminded me :lol

3rd&4th baby, this pg (twins)- The only "feeling" I had was boy. I took that to mean two boys, so I was surprised to find out that we are having one boy and one girl. 

All that said, my good friend is a very intuitive, in touch mama. She was SURE her fourth child was a boy. So sure that she bought a boy nursery set. The baby turned out to be a girl. I guess, when it comes down to it, we still have a 50/50 shot. I do wonder, too, if some of it is confirmation bias, yk? Like, in my DD's pg, there were certainly moments I thought "weeelll, maybe I'm wrong" I wasn't, so it is easy to forget those moments and not mention them when I say I "knew" she was a she. 

Best of luck. Personally, I don't put much stock into the diff symptoms=diff sex theory, but I know that holds true for a lot of moms. I think there was a thread recently on here about just that- you might try searching.

reading.gifdiaper.gif ♥ baby.gif baby.gif ♥
but a lesson must be lived in order to be learned.
and the clarity to see and stop this now
that is what i've earned (a.d.)
#3 of 59 Old 11-26-2010, 02:49 PM
myk

the first time yes.. this time, no! i was SO sure it was a boy. DD1 was all ice cream and other sugar cravings. this one was months of Carnivore Mommy! i've had ice cream what, twice this past summer? but woe to anyone who gets between me and my pot roast. i was absolutely 100% convinced it was a boy - and then the amnio came back GIRL! then i saw on the ultrasound.. ain't no weiner there, just a bun ;)

can't win 'em all i guess!

January 2011
#4 of 59 Old 11-26-2010, 03:09 PM

with my daughter, i was sure i was having a boy, but all my dreams were girl dreams. I wasn't really surprised she was a girl- my dreams knew, I think i was just preparing myself for having a boy because everyone in out family has girls- i figured we were due for a boy. My dreams had it. that being said- when i was pg with her no heartburn, no sex drive, i was nauseated the whole pregnancy, sore boobs and moody.

this time around, my sore boobs are the biggest thing- boy they ache at the end of the day! the nausea is back- no heartburn to speak of, and i'm too scared of spotting to have much sex!  shy.gif  I've had 2 girl dreams already and i've had some pretty strong girl feelings, but we'll find out in July!

Jen
Together with DH 20 years, mom to a 5 year old daughter,
finally pg with #2 july 2/2011

#5 of 59 Old 11-26-2010, 04:00 PM

I had a dream at 8 weeks, a little boy with long blonde hair, kind of looked like Kate Hudson's little boy, in green cordoroy overalls.  That is the EXACT kid I got, exact.  We'll see if my inkling that this is a girl is correct in 16 weeks

Erin photosmile2.gif  treehugger.gif, DH jammin.gif ,  Mumma to Chase 7/08 superhero.gif and babyf.gif Griff 3/13

MTHFR C677T Homozygous, M/C 2/07 @ 6wks, 12/10 @8wks, 10/11@7wks, 2/12 @4wks.... 

#6 of 59 Old 11-26-2010, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Heck, no. My first pregnancy... well, a few months before it I "knew" I was pregnant and I wasn't. Then I was pregnant, and didn't have a clue. Then I "knew" it was a boy. It was a girl. :p At that point I decided my maternal intuition wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. This time I did, at least, know when I conceived - but not because of anything "woo"ey, just because I was charting.

Honestly, I don't have the foggiest inkling either way with this baby. Maybe it's intersex. :p We both have a mild preference for a girl, but I do have a few boy names I really like and NO girl-name contenders. DD insists it's a boy. Who knows! We do plan to find out this time, though...

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#7 of 59 Old 11-26-2010, 04:12 PM

With DD, I knew she was a girl almost from conception, it was definitely early on. At least until the week before the big u/s when I convinced myself she had to be a boy! That was more because DH really wanted a boy though, I think, and I kept telling him if he wanted a boy that badly, he probably would get a girl. Yep, all girl :)

This one, I didn't have a feeling with until almost the end of the first tri. I was so preoccupied with hoping this was a sticky baby after all the m/cs, that I don't think I tuned in until later. I've been having strong boy vibes since 11-12 weeks though, and we find out on Tuesday - so we shall have to see! I don't mind a boy or a girl, either one would be amazing, and I feel like there is still one of each out there for us, but just not sure what order they will be coming in :)

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#8 of 59 Old 11-26-2010, 04:50 PM

Yes, for me. I knew it was going to be a boy, and sure enough- the ultrasound was clear as day.

#9 of 59 Old 11-26-2010, 04:53 PM

not at all. i have zero intuition for the sex of my unborn. i wish i did! my symptoms have never had anything to do with genitals. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#10 of 59 Old 11-26-2010, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post

not at all. i have zero intuition for the sex of my unborn. i wish i did! my symptoms have never had anything to do with genitals. 

Exactly. 3 children, different pgs, different genders and I was wrong every single time about the gender. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#11 of 59 Old 11-26-2010, 10:03 PM

I was SURE in my first pregnancy that I was having a boy. From pretty early on, first tri, or beginning of second I really felt it was a boy. By the end of pregnancy I was so sure it was a boy ( I kept imagining meeting my baby and could only see a boy) that I would have been shocked if I'd had a girl. I was right. This time, I don't feel that strong intuition. I have most often thought that it is another boy, but I am not as sure, I am in general not as tuned into this pregnancy as as bonded as my first. DH thinks it's a girl, as does MIL, and my mom and grandma keep referring to baby as a girl. I think our family is ready for a girl, lol! All the grandbabies so far have been boys. But I'm not so sure, I still kind of think boy, we will find out in just a few weeks.

Maria, wife to DH, mama to DS 09/2007, #2 12/2010 and hoping for a
#12 of 59 Old 11-26-2010, 10:43 PM

I was 100% sure that I was having a girl, and well she came out with a penis...oops.  I was really shocked.

I should have known though.  When I was about 36 weeks I had a dream I was holding a boy baby.  Screw intuition...listen to the dreams.

#13 of 59 Old 11-26-2010, 11:12 PM

Nope, wrong both times and also always wrong about what friends/family are having.

May, DH, DD born at home 4/08, DS born at home 3/20/11.
#14 of 59 Old 11-27-2010, 06:48 AM

Been right every-time with 5 kids. Not sure about this time though. Could be my record breaker. Time will tell.

#15 of 59 Old 11-27-2010, 07:06 AM

I was completely wrong.  I was sure it was a boy.  I have a psychic friend and medical intuitive and she also said it was a boy.  At the 20 week ultrasound when I was told she was a girl, I had to have her say it a couple times.  My DH 'knew' she was a girl.  He pretty much was the only one.  Everyone in my family was guessing boy.

Cheryl, mom to Olivia Grace (May 2009), Zackary James (Jun 2012)

both hypnobabies births

#16 of 59 Old 11-27-2010, 07:21 AM

Yes - very soon after getting the positive test, I just started feeling like it was a girl. Found out at the 20 week anatomy scan that I was correct!

#17 of 59 Old 11-27-2010, 08:06 AM

My first is a boy. I had a feeling after a few weeks, but I didn't get too attached to having a boy. It was a very smooth pregnancy with a little nausea and fatigue. When I thought I was pregnant again, I just heard "I'm having a girl" in my mind. The next day I took a pregnancy test. I was really sick and exhausted almost the whole time. We didn't "find out" the sex of either baby until their birthday. With my daughter, no one told me that she was really a girl & I couldn't see! I had to ask! Either way, I hope your new one is healthy & happy. shine.gif

~M

~Manjari~ crafty lady, momma to DS Prahlad (3/07) and DD Daisy (7/10). Happily married to my Boo.
#18 of 59 Old 11-28-2010, 06:41 AM

I have been right with both!  They don't fit in any typical myths about symptoms - with this one (a boy) I had way worse MS and everyone I guess associates that with a girl.  With both not much sex drive and similar cravings etc... it was more just my feeling early on this was a boy and same with DD that she was girl.

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#19 of 59 Old 11-28-2010, 06:45 AM

Nope. I would've sworn I was having a boy, and was stunned senseless when the sono tech said it was a girl. DH, on the other hand, was right. 

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

#20 of 59 Old 11-28-2010, 08:25 AM

#1: My intuition was spot on the entire time. I knew I was pregnant before I'd missed a period. I knew it was twins very early on (I miscarried one of them). I knew the remaining twin was a boy. I was right on all counts.

#2: Again, I was right - I knew it was a girl, I had a girl.

#3: I knew it was a boy and I felt so strongly about it that, despite that we didn't have an ultrasound to confirm anything, we didn't even bother thinking of girl names. When my daughter was born no one said "it's a girl!" as an exclamation, it came out more like a question..."it's a GIRL?!?!" The good part about the surprise was that we didn't have a name picked out, but we like our kids to be named right away so DH gave me free reign over her name and I chose my favorite one.

#4: I had a feeling it was a boy and was right.

#5: I had no idea. I kept going back and forth but I doubted myself. Minutes before birth I said to DH, "Boy or girl?" I don't remember what he said but I said "I'm going with boy." We didn't have any name ideas either way so after SHE was born we discussed what we would name her.

#6: I heavily suspected Girl and the ultrasound confirmed that. We'll see if it was right or wrong when s/he is born in a few weeks.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#21 of 59 Old 11-28-2010, 09:56 AM

Yes! With ds I swear I knew all along he was a boy (we didn't find out til he was born).  Once around 36 weeks I saw a cute girl baby outfit that I thought i might buy just in case, but it I couldn't even do it because it didn't "feel" right.  Weird huh?  Also when he was born, before I saw his genitals i assumed he was a boy and then a few seconds later when my DH announced it, I remember thinking "oh yeah, that's true i didn't REALLY know until now."

Also I had a m/c with my first that I was/am sure was a girl. I had had two dreams about her. I really think I was right.  I lost the baby at 12.5 weeks but I mostly saw a giant bloody mass and couldn't figure out how to actually check the gender. :(

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#22 of 59 Old 11-28-2010, 10:01 AM

The first time I had no idea, and it was a boy.  The second time I knew it was a boy by the end of the first trimester and I was right.  This time, I am sure it is a girl, but we will see in January if I'm right this time. 

SAHM to Bird (6/07) and Bear (7/09), and now enjoying our newest additionbabyboy.gif, born June 1, 2011!  bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.gif

#23 of 59 Old 11-28-2010, 03:35 PM

By 20 weeks I just know the baby's gender, I have been right w/ every one of mine. My symptoms though didn't correspond to boy or girl.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#24 of 59 Old 12-28-2010, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I was right - its a girl. The US tech has been doing this 14 years and assures me there's no way it could be wrong. I am excited (after 4 boys) but a little sad my 3 year old wont have a brother to play with. Oh well. Maybe she'll be a tomboy.

Christ Lovin' SAHM to JL 11/07, MP 5/95 and Empty Nester to BT and RM 7/89
#25 of 59 Old 12-28-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Time Mama View Post

I was SURE in my first pregnancy that I was having a boy. From pretty early on, first tri, or beginning of second I really felt it was a boy. By the end of pregnancy I was so sure it was a boy ( I kept imagining meeting my baby and could only see a boy) that I would have been shocked if I'd had a girl. I was right. This time, I don't feel that strong intuition. I have most often thought that it is another boy, but I am not as sure, I am in general not as tuned into this pregnancy as as bonded as my first. DH thinks it's a girl, as does MIL, and my mom and grandma keep referring to baby as a girl. I think our family is ready for a girl, lol! All the grandbabies so far have been boys. But I'm not so sure, I still kind of think boy, we will find out in just a few weeks.

I could have written this word for word, except this time I'm thinking girl, but I'm really not sure. I would have been shocked if DS had been a girl, I wouldn't be terribly surprised either way. *Shrug*

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#26 of 59 Old 12-29-2010, 06:41 PM

I was so sure this baby was a girl, but nope, it's a boy! 

Mama to learning.gifJulian Matthew, born 5/10/2011 nocirc.gif  

Hopeful vbac.gif for the next!

#27 of 59 Old 12-31-2010, 11:00 PM

Not pregnant now...but every frikken time.

First baby--could only think of girl's names, even before knowing the gender (just a couple weeks before the birth...she did not "cooperate" at the 20 week scan, but I got another US at 38 weeks).  To tell the truth, I was fretting over not having a boy name picked out "just in case".

Second--only boy names.  Considered not finding out prior to birth, but DH was deployed and I thought that if something happened to him before the baby was born, he should know.  I made a card with the baby's US photo on a blue background with "It's a Boy" or something like that.

Third--despite having a boy's name in reserve, it just didn't feel right and we had a girl's name picked out quickly and were referring to the baby as that "girl" name.

I also always referred to the kids by the proper gender pronouns even before I knew what I was having.

#28 of 59 Old 01-01-2011, 01:34 AM

With my first I was convinced it was a boy, it was a girl.

this time I had started thinking boy because my symptoms where so different from with DD, and the ultrasound shows a penis. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#29 of 59 Old 01-01-2011, 05:39 AM

Both times I felt boy, and we have two boys. 

#30 of 59 Old 01-01-2011, 08:33 AM

Mixed results here.

#1:  I had no idea.  Everyone wanted a boy so badly that I began to think it must be a boy.  I was extremely shocked it was a girl.  It actually took a few months to sink in and accept because our families are so biased towards males.  I had very little nausea, heartburn towards the end, not a big sex drive, lots of skin breakouts, carried high.

#2:  I knew from very, very early on that it was a girl.  We had 'tried' for a boy, but I still knew it was a girl.  My eldest daughter told me it was a girl as well.  Yes, all girl.  I was not nauseous at all, carried like a basketball and very, very low, no skin outbreaks, and virtually no symptoms.

#3:  This baby was a surprise and so we are going to keep it that until it's born.  There have been points in time when I have thought "Well, maybe it is a boy", but overall I think it's a girl.  I have had a few girl dreams and call it 'she'.  I sometimes wonder, though, if I'm doing that because I am so used to it and don't feel 'familiar' with boy stuff at all.  Honestly, I will be completely shocked if it comes out with a penis!  I was very, very nauseous (but didn't ever throw up) from week 5-10, heightened sex drive, clear skin, heartburn during first tri, and felt movement from week 10.  Everyone keeps saying "Since your symptoms are so different, it must be a boy."  I don't think so.  ;)

ETA:  Symtpoms

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page