Need gentle name guidance - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 11-26-2010, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DH and I have a VERY hard time naming babies. Now that we've found out the sexes of our babes coming (boy and girl!), I'm feeling a little unsure of our boy name choice. (the comments from friends and fam have started- we don't share IRL, but they still feel like tossing out ideas and critique??)

Background- for privacy reasons, I don't post my DCs names online, but I have one DS w/ a rare but not too out there name. I have one DD with an "out there" name. It is a nature name, I've seen MDC moms choose it before, but we usually get "wow, what i cool name, I've never heard of anyone named that" before. We do get some raised eyebrows, but it is just the perfect name for her.

Twin girl will be named Eden, either Eden Sophia, Eden Elise or Eden Sophia Elise. 

We chose Eden bc when i was TTC and now pg, when I dream of the babies, I always dream of them in a beautiful garden. 

Twin boy is the one we're wavering on. Debating two names and would like your input. 

Asher

or 

Vale

Here's my pro/con list for both:

Asher:

p: I've loved Asher since i was pg w/ DS. It was almost DS's name, and it would have been DD's name if she were a boy

p: It is somewhat unique and has a nature feel w/ the lovely nn Ash. 

p: the family will LOVE it. esp given they are not fond of out-there names. I know that shouldn't be the end-all, but they will love Eden, so I'd hate to have them think she got the "good" name, yk?

c: We are not religious and the pairing of Asher and Eden seem heavily religious to me. 

c: Asher is really trendy where I live. I worry that one trendy name in a set of unique-and-out-there names will sound off. 

c: i'm just not feeling Asher for this babe, if that means anything at all

Vale:

p: Have loved Vale since I read Chris Bohjalian's novel Midwives, as a teenager. Debates about the book aside, it really was the book that opened my eyes to a whole world of women-centered care leading to natural parenting. (tho, the fictional baby's name is Veil). I never considered it useable until this pg, tho (I think, since giving DD an 'out there' name and seeing it go okay)

p: Seems like such a perfect nature pairing with Eden- esp since we live in a river valley, so it would be reminiscent of his birth-home

p: Unique and fits well with our sib group names

c: it is out there and I KNOW we'll get nasty remarks from family about it (after having that experience w/ DD). Freshly postpartum, those remarks really, really hurt. My fam will NEVER say them to the child, by I still remember every negative comment at me.

c: Does anyone LIKE the name besides me and DH? We haven't really asked for input and we haven't told IRL, so I honestly don't know. I'm fine with weird and out there, but I would prefer it to be one that people warm to. 

thanks mamas for your help. I think, to sum it, I'm really feeling Vale, but I'm nervous to use it. 

reading.gifdiaper.gif ♥ baby.gif baby.gif ♥
but a lesson must be lived in order to be learned.
and the clarity to see and stop this now
that is what i've earned (a.d.)
#2 of 35 Old 11-26-2010, 03:15 PM

I think Vale is a great name!  I like Asher too but considering your con list I wouldn't use it.  I'm dying to know the middle name(s).  Will you consider sharing?

#3 of 35 Old 11-26-2010, 03:24 PM

I like both names, but given your con list I would avoid Asher too. Vale sounds wonderful and I think it pairs great with Eden. I don't think it sounds wacky or weird at all.

raising my two sunshine children.

#4 of 35 Old 11-26-2010, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xand2y View Post

I think Vale is a great name!  I like Asher too but considering your con list I wouldn't use it.  I'm dying to know the middle name(s).  Will you consider sharing?

Really? you like Vale? yay! 
Oh, sure, middles...

Thing about the middles is we're not set on much.

TBH, I think we'll use whichever name we don't choose as a mn bc I'm going to have a VERY hard time giving up either name. 

so

Asher Vale

or

Vale Asher

If not, I'd like it to be a family name:

possibles:

Arden

Donald

Duncan

Gale (not w/ Vale, obviously :) ) 

a James variant (my DS's mn is James, very, very important to my family, but DS would prefer this baby to have a diff mn)

sigh. that's about it for family names. My fam recycled names a lot, but my cousins and I try not to, so there's not much left to choose from.

My DS only has one mn, my DD has two. We haven't decided yet how many to give these babies. 

ETA: I also adore the name Lux. I can't see it as a fn, and it seems to out-there to be a mn w/ Vale, but if there's somewhere to throw it in there, I'd be happy about that. 

#5 of 35 Old 11-26-2010, 03:33 PM

I really like Vale a lot.  Of course, he'll always have to spell it.  I think most people would assume it was Vail.  I have kids who's names have to be spelled too, imvho, it's no big deal.  Vale Asher and Vale Duncan are my favorite combinations of the ones you posted.

#6 of 35 Old 11-26-2010, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Arden Vale or Vale Arden seems like a winner to me and avoids the double religion thing.

#7 of 35 Old 11-26-2010, 04:17 PM

I LOVE Vale! It's such a nice strong name, different without being too out there, and I can't see how you would be able to make fun of it (which is one of our criteria for names - the schoolyard test). I also love love love Arden, reminds me of ardent which I love the connotations of. Asher is nice but I think it gets used a lot. The only thing would be is if Arden was a first name, then it would be Arden and Eden - might be too close in pronunciation. I like Duncan as well.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#8 of 35 Old 11-26-2010, 04:32 PM

I think Eden and Vale are a great combo!

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#9 of 35 Old 11-26-2010, 04:51 PM

me too! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemasita View Post

I think Eden and Vale are a great combo!

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#10 of 35 Old 11-26-2010, 04:52 PM

I think the combo of Vale and Eden is very nice.

I understand what you mean about the comments people make to you about your baby's name. I still remember what my mother-in-law said about my first child's name right after he was born. Now 9 1/2 years later I can finally laugh about how ridiculously inappropriate and rude it was of her to say but it sure stings. We also do not share names before our babes are born to avoid comments but the suggestions always flow! :hugs to you and good luck with your naming decisions.

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
#11 of 35 Old 11-26-2010, 05:50 PM

i LOVE vale!!! what an awesome name! and i love it with eden! way better than asher, in my opinion. 

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)
#12 of 35 Old 11-26-2010, 07:24 PM

I also really like Eden and Vale together-it paints such a pretty picture in my mind!

I am a huge huge fan of following your gut, esp with names. If it "feels" like the right name for your baby, go for it! Its definately what I do and I have passed up names I loved just because it didn't seem to fit the baby inside of me, kwim? I also went with a name I didn't love (but did like) for DS but it felt right for him. His name fits him sooo perfectly, I can't imagine hime with any other name!

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#13 of 35 Old 11-26-2010, 08:45 PM

I dislike Vale. First of all, it sounds like a last name. Second, the automatic associations I have with it are cemetery ("vale of rest") or housing development ("Cedar Vale" etc.)

Asher is a great name and I don't think the combination with Eden is particularly religious.
#14 of 35 Old 11-26-2010, 09:14 PM

LOVE love.gif Vale!!! That is such a great name!

I'm not a fan of Asher (isn't he the kid from Pokemon as well???)...

I am a fan of following your gut. When we heard our baby girl's name, even though it wasn't anywhere near our radar or discussion names we "knew" it was her. She couldn't be anything else. I hope you have that moment. orngbiggrin.gif

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#15 of 35 Old 11-26-2010, 09:17 PM

I really like Vale, and I like it with Eden.  I don't like Vale Arden or Arden Vale, they both kind of sound like a Macy's perfume brand or something. blush.gif  I do like Vale Asher. :)

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#16 of 35 Old 11-26-2010, 11:59 PM

I love Vale! What an awesome name. Is your other son named River?

#17 of 35 Old 11-27-2010, 09:03 AM

We are thinking of using Vale for a mn. I love it :)!

When I was young, we dwelt in a vale
By a misty fen that rang all night,
And thus it was the maidens pale
I knew so well, whose garments trail
Across the reeds to a window light.
The fen had every kind of bloom,
And for every kind there was a face,
And a voice that has sounded in my room
Across the sill from the outer gloom.
Each came singly unto her place,
But all came every night with the mist;
And often they brought so much to say
Of things of moment to which, they wist,
One so lonely was fain to list,
That the stars were almost faded away
Before the last went, heavy with dew,
Back to the place from which she came--
Where the bird was before it flew,
Where the flower was before it grew,
Where bird and flower were one and the same.
And thus it is I know so well
Why the flower has odor, the bird has song.
You have only to ask me, and I can tell.
No, not vainly there did I dwell,
Nor vainly listen all the night long.

-Robert Frost

ETA: I love Eden and Vale!

May, DH, DD born at home 4/08, DS born at home 3/20/11.
#18 of 35 Old 11-27-2010, 11:38 AM

I think Vale is more unique than Asher.  Either way, you have beautiful choices!

And Eden is one of my fav names but we can't use because it is too similar to one of our other kids' names.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#19 of 35 Old 11-27-2010, 11:46 AM

I have met one Vale in my life, and one Arden, and they were both women. Just throwing that out there, do as you like. :)

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#20 of 35 Old 11-27-2010, 02:01 PM

I don't want to be a party-pooper either, but my best friend's name is Arden (female) and my niece's middle name is Arden.  I think they were more named after 'Elizabeth Arden', but I'm not sure.  I do love the name, though, and I don't think it's overly either sex.  I think it could go either way.  The name Vale reminds me of the city...Vail, CO.  I like that it is short, strong, and one syllable.  I think those always make good boy names!

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#21 of 35 Old 11-27-2010, 04:04 PM

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#22 of 35 Old 11-27-2010, 04:18 PM

Another vote here for Vale.  I love it!!

If you like the name Lux for a middle may I suggest Lucis?  It's the genitive form of the latin lux, so "Vale Lucis" would mean "vale of light".

#23 of 35 Old 11-27-2010, 05:55 PM

Love Vale too!

mama to three amazing girls (05.07, 09.08 and 2.11) expecting #4 in July
#24 of 35 Old 11-29-2010, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

wow, mamas.

I'm so happy to see so many thoughtful, positive responses. I was a afraid that Vale was going to be on of those names that inspires posters to say "poor kid", yk?

If there are any of you out there who think Vale will get the 'poor kid' responses, I do actually want to hear from you. My fam HATES anything that is slightly unusual; I can just hear the outcry now if we really do name him Vale. I want to be able to say that I don't care what they think blahdeblah, but I've been thru this before and I love my family and i DO care deeply, so if I can predict what they might say about Vale, maybe it would help soften the blow for me...

I haven't mastered multi-quote yet, but

Mayfly, thank you over and over for that poem- I didn't know it and it is perfect. Should we really name him Vale, then I'm most certainly including this poem on some important memory piece of his babyhood.

pregnant@40, my ODS is not named River. He doesn't have a nature name, actually. Which is good, bc River and Vale would be too matchy for me smile.gif

CutiePatootie (and others who mentioned it)- I don't like Vale Arden, either. It sounds like a perfume to me, too. redface.gif

I don't think we're going to use Arden. It is a great name by itself, but it is just to close to Eden, even in the middle spot for me. I prefer Vale Asher to Vale Arden, anyway

oo! Chamomille Girl- I LOVE Vale Lucis... in theory. We actually had Lucien on our short list for the meaning, as well. In speaking, tho, It sounds really heavy on the 'L' Any thoughts, anyone?

So, if we don't do Vale Asher or Vale Lucis/Lucien... what else would be your mn picks?

Thanks everyone for giving me an audience to obsess with about this redface.gif

#25 of 35 Old 11-29-2010, 08:57 AM

I don't think that your names are so "out there"  My DH was named by a Native American tradition after the first thing seen in nature after he and his siblings were born.

They were each given "normal/real" (he hates that term) first & middle names and then given two additional nature names followed by their last names.

Each child with the exception of the youngest goes by their nature name & here is the list

Silver Cloud

Morning Star (originally Snow Blossom)

Night Sky

Crystal Star

Now they are definitely conversation pieces about how much drugs his parents did.....

At this point in life they have all learned to deal with it and it's really not much of a big deal.

All in all I don't think your names are that "off the wall".   It's not time I've heard the name Eden or Vale.  I think Vale depending on how you spell it is one of those names that can go either way.  I went to HS with a girl name Vail--I thought it was a great name!

Good luck in your baby naming search--it sounds like a beautiful pair.  hug2.gif

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#26 of 35 Old 11-29-2010, 09:46 AM

Have you thought about just going with Ash, not Asher?

Vale and Eden are a good pairing, but Ash and Eden would be nice too. I know a guy who is named Ashley, but he goes by Ash.

Doula, WOHM, wife to a super-fun papa, mama to the Monkey ('07), and his little brother, the Sea Monkey ('09).
#27 of 35 Old 11-29-2010, 06:24 PM

You know that I like Asher since one of the boys growing right now will be Asher (the other is Boston).  But the thing that stands out most to me is you aren't "feeling it".  That is important.  Trust your instincts!  I love Vale Asher!

And please oh please don't let Asher become trendy!  No one around here has heard of it - I have to say "you know like the tribe of Israel?" 

Liora - wife to Pete, IVF miracle DD babygirl.gif (2.11.09) 11 year Infertility survivor! FET miracle TWIN boys babyboy.gifbabyboy.gifborn 2/28 at 32 weeks and growing strong in the NICU.
#28 of 35 Old 11-29-2010, 07:49 PM

I just wanted to say - your short list looks a lot like mine. I love Asher, Sophie, and Eden. Asher reminds me of the Giver and My Name is Asher Lev, and Eden reminds me of Francesca Lia Block.

#29 of 35 Old 11-29-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygrey View Post

If there are any of you out there who think Vale will get the 'poor kid' responses, I do actually want to hear from you. My fam HATES anything that is slightly unusual; I can just hear the outcry now if we really do name him Vale. I want to be able to say that I don't care what they think blahdeblah, but I've been thru this before and I love my family and i DO care deeply, so if I can predict what they might say about Vale, maybe it would help soften the blow for me...

Well, I was going to keep my mouth shut, but you did ask. I don't particularly care for Vale. I think it's weird and I'm sure others will as well. Your family probably will based on the way you describe them.

I think as actual words newly appropriated as first names go, Vale is not too bad, but I am not a fan of that entire category of names. That's my personal preference. Plenty of others don't share this preference with me. Also, there are so many names along these lines floating around these days that Vale probably won't stick out like a sore thumb among classmates named Griffin, River, Rowan, etc. You might mention that to your family, particularly older members who might be expecting all the other kids in the class to be named John and Matthew and Charles and such.

I would not use the name, but it's not my kid. If you love the name and feel it fits for this child, don't let what your family will think stop you. That's their grandson/nephew/whoever and they will come around.

Alternately, I don't think Eden/Asher is a pairing that screams "super-religious", because Eden, IMO, isn't commonly used for its religious connotation despite being a place in the Bible.

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#30 of 35 Old 11-30-2010, 01:54 PM

Your family doesn't like unusual names, and you care deeply about what your family thinks. So you might end up with a Tom, Dick or a Harry after all.

But think how cool a kid named Vale Asher would be. That's a really strong, masculine, unique name, and I bet your son would love it. Go with your heart, be strong!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page