Book recommendations for first time dads-to-be? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 11-28-2010, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is our first, and my DH just told me he's really starting to feel freaked out. He is having trouble wrapping his head around what it will be like to have a kid, and I think he's finding the responsibility a bit overwhelming (who doesn't?!). He told me he's afraid to be alone with the kid because he's afraid he'll mess up somehow and it'll get hurt or something. I have absolutely no doubt that he will be a fantastic dad, but he hasn't spent much time caring for babies or kids (unlike me) and I think everything's just getting a lot more real for the poor guy.

Any book (or other source) recommendations? I already know about The Birth Partner for labor and delivery, but am wondering what's out there to help him understand what to expect, and have more confidence in his ability to do this.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#2 of 14 Old 11-28-2010, 04:52 PM

My DH just picked out two from our midwife's lending library.  He has skimmed them a little over the past few days and says he would recommend them.  He's like your DH:  will be great but hasn't been around babies much.

Be Prepared:  A Practical Handbook for New Dads by Gary Greenberg and Jeannie Hayden

Baby:  An Owner's Manual by Steve Tague and Julie Long

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#3 of 14 Old 11-28-2010, 09:28 PM

My DH sounds similar to yours--he's excited, but has never been around babies.  When our (now ages 4 and 1) niece and nephew were born, he was too afraid to hold them, and rarely interacted with them when they were really little because he just didn't know how, and was afraid of hurting them (he's their favorite uncle now!)  Anyway, he's been reading "The Expectant Father" by Armin Brott, which was the only pregnancy book for men at the bookstore when we went.  As he's been reading it, numerous times he's stopped and re-read passages to me, saying "This is so true!" and "This is exactly how I feel!" 

He's not scared of babies, he just doesn't know what to do, and is afraid he will be a bad father because he doesn't already know everything about taking care of his child.  The book I think is really touching on that and helping him realize that it's normal to feel that way.  Anyway, I would recommend it based on his reaction. 

Also, it's relatively short (if that matters!)

#4 of 14 Old 11-28-2010, 10:42 PM

The Fathers-To-Be Handbook is wonderful. http://www.fatherstobe.org/ftb%20handbook.htm  It's also a pretty quick read.

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
#5 of 14 Old 11-29-2010, 07:45 AM

Hi Blanca,

Some places offer new father classes. The expectant fathers learn how to change diapers, give baths, burp the baby, etc.. Maybe that would be something to look into. Also, Youtube is a great resource for birth videos so your DH could see what birth is like that way. :)

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#6 of 14 Old 11-29-2010, 09:08 AM

Fathers at Birth is supposed to be among the best of the best and the reviews on amazon are great. I just got it for my DP

mommy to "mine" (7), "his" (5), and preggers with "ours" due march 2011!!! 

heartbeat.gifIts a GIRL!!!!
#7 of 14 Old 11-30-2010, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the great suggestions, everyone! Lauren--I will definitely look into those classes. This is all a big help.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#8 of 14 Old 11-30-2010, 01:25 PM

The Expectant Father is a great one... not too technical but isn't superficial either. The dads in my classes really like it a lot. It is broken down month by month and covers it all.  

#9 of 14 Old 11-30-2010, 01:47 PM

I personally like: http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Owners-Manual-Instructions-Trouble-Shooting/dp/1931686238

It is comical and takes the seriousness out of fatherhood/parenthood. This is obviously not intended to be the only source of info. I  think the real key is to let them know that what they feel is normal.

If it is any consolation, we just had our second, and DH was in a bit of a panic this time too.

#10 of 14 Old 11-30-2010, 01:47 PM

I just read through most of "Dad's Pregnant, Too" and wasn't really a fan.  It was mildly entertaining, and was accepting of (or at least neutral on) homebirth, doulas, unmedicated birth, the Bradley Method, etc., but was lacking in real information about any of those topics. 

Jill, wife to J, mama to O (10/03), MK (7/05), angel1.gif(7/09), A (5/4/10), and ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stork-suprise.gif** 

#11 of 14 Old 11-30-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo4joyfulbirth View Post

The Expectant Father is a great one... not too technical but isn't superficial either. The dads in my classes really like it a lot. It is broken down month by month and covers it all.  

My husband really liked The Expectant Father as well. 

#12 of 14 Old 11-30-2010, 10:35 PM

I like the book How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk, as well as Playful Parenting. Both help guide the child in positive ways, and techniques work for all ages. 

#13 of 14 Old 11-30-2010, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My DH read Becoming a Father by Dr. Sears. It's a kind of old book, I'm not sure if it's still in print even. I just happened to find a copy in a used bookstore. It's a beautiful book, not too long, and is part of the whole Sears' AP library, so has a good AP perspective.

p.s. I just found it on Amazon, looks like there's an updated edition: http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Father-Nurture-Family-Growing/dp/0912500964/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1291188064&sr=1-1

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#14 of 14 Old 12-01-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugitybug View Post

I like the book How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk, as well as Playful Parenting. Both help guide the child in positive ways, and techniques work for all ages. 

definite must haves.. but not really for fathers of newborns though. these two books totally changed my outlook on parenting

mommy to "mine" (7), "his" (5), and preggers with "ours" due march 2011!!! 

heartbeat.gifIts a GIRL!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page