Is it safe to have a mole removed from breast while almost 33 weeks PG? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 12-01-2010, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I keep watch of my moles ever since my younger sister had a *very* precancerous one removed from her breast a few years ago. I have had 2 moles removed in the last few years, one from my foot and one from my right breast, both came back as noncancerous.

I noticed about a month ago that a mole that had appeared during my last PG on my left breast has now gotten thicker and seems darker. It could just be PG hormones but I am very paranoid. I went to the dermatologist last week and she said I should go ahead and have it taken off just to be safe. I'm supposed to go today to have that done, but I am now very worried because I am almost 33 weeks PG and I don't know if whatever they inject in the spot (lidocaine??) will affect my breast as far as nursing, etc (my milk glands), or the baby in general.

What do you think?

Mommy to beauties DS1 (7), DS2 (4, autism), & DS3 (2)

and many angel babies angel1.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 12-01-2010, 07:18 AM

If I were you, I would have it taken off now. If that thing is cancerous, you want it gone. If the dermatologist thinks it looks suspicious, I would want it out of there.

If it is melanoma, it can spread fast. What will be the effect on your baby if you wait, and they find it has spread some, and you may have to have chemo or radiation? 

I would just get the minimal amount of drugs they need to get it off, and discuss with an OB what are the best ones to use. I keep editing my post to try and not be too morbid, but you need to live a long life to be there for your baby.

#3 of 18 Old 12-01-2010, 07:32 AM

Sure. I've had several removed(some cancerous, some benign) and it's only a local anesthetic and a small incision, then stitches. I only took Tylenol afterwards. It's really not a big deal. 

#4 of 18 Old 12-01-2010, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys... I called my doc office as well as the dermatologist office and both said everything should be fine as far as baby and nursing. I am just super paranoid. I really appreciate your replies!!

#5 of 18 Old 12-01-2010, 09:03 AM

Have you went to the dr yet?  I don't post a lot but saw urs and wanted to agree that I'd get it looked/taken off too. I have a history of melanoma & had a small portion taken off my back. She used a different type of anesthetic to numb it so she said it might bleed more than normal. It might have but it was on my back so I wasn't aware of it.

Hope the results are nothing serious. :)

Monica-28, DH, Andrew-29 DS-almost 3, DD born 1/13/2011.
SAHM. BF
#6 of 18 Old 12-01-2010, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica82 View Post

Have you went to the dr yet?  I don't post a lot but saw urs and wanted to agree that I'd get it looked/taken off too. I have a history of melanoma & had a small portion taken off my back. She used a different type of anesthetic to numb it so she said it might bleed more than normal. It might have but it was on my back so I wasn't aware of it.

Hope the results are nothing serious. :)

Thanks, my appt is at 2:30pm EST. Did you have yours removed while PG?

#7 of 18 Old 12-01-2010, 06:21 PM

When I was about 34-35 weeks with my first, I had a small growth removed on the side of my face near my temple.  It was hardly noticeable  and the derm was not concerned it was cancerous but she recommended removing it since "weird things happen in pregnancy" with things growing.  It really wasn't a big deal.  

#8 of 18 Old 12-01-2010, 07:32 PM

I'm glad you have an appt scheduled. I was going to say it's unsafe not to have it removed! It's probably nothing but I know of a lot of women that were diagnosed with melanoma while pregnant. I would have been if I had actually gone to the dermatologist sooner. But I waited and ended up being stage 3. Not trying to scare you at all but I'm definitely on the get it checked out now mindset! And truthfully it will be easier to get the biopsy done and recover from it now than wait until you are nursing. Good luck!

Jess ~mom to DS1 8/05, DS2 6/07, DD 7/09 and one surprise 5/11!
Melanoma survivor/patient. Diagnosed 11/09. Wear sunscreen. Check skin. See a derm.
#9 of 18 Old 12-01-2010, 07:34 PM

It should be perfectly safe to get it removed. Lidocaine injected right now is not going to be around for breastfeeding. Ask your doc for the 1/2 life and more info.

#10 of 18 Old 12-01-2010, 08:17 PM

I had an angioma that appeared while I was pregnant with DD. My regular Dr and MW both refused to do anything about it because they said lidocaine is not safe for pregnancy. I didn't really look it up because I they both said the same thing and they don't work together. One is civilian and one is military. They both said it was most likely my hormones that made it grow and if it was still there after the baby was born then we could take it off. The thing would bleed all over the place and eventually fell off a few days after DD was born. It was pretty gross and stained all my shirts (it was too big to keep a bandaid on).

married 11/06, DD May 2009, DS  April 2011successful, natural 9lbs 6ozvbac.gif

#11 of 18 Old 12-02-2010, 04:23 AM

Lidocaine is safe in pregnancy. It's used in dental work on pregnant women. It's often injected prior to administering an epidural. And it's also safe for breastfeeding, according to Dr. Hales. 

#12 of 18 Old 12-02-2010, 04:32 AM

No reason at all it wouldnt be safe. Hope the mole is just a regular mole.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#13 of 18 Old 12-02-2010, 06:21 AM

Lidocaine is as safe in pregnancy as just about anything else considered safe. It is a class B drug which is the same class as Tylenol during pregnancy. It is classified by the World health organization as "compatible with breastfeeding." and the Thomson Lactation rating is "Infant risk is minimal".

#14 of 18 Old 12-02-2010, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much ladies! My OB, doula, and the dermatologist all said it was perfectly safe so I went ahead and had it done. The derm used a teeny-tiny amount of lidocaine and I didn't feel a thing, it was over in a minute, literally! I have to call in 2 weeks for my results but the derm thinks it is mostly likely totally fine, she just wants to be on the safe side. I'm glad I got it done and over with, hopefully all will come back neg!

jwoodbri, so glad you were ok after your bout with melanoma! You are right- it's nothing to take lightly. My sister (when she was in her mid twenties, didn't tan, no family history of melanoma, etc) had a very precancerous mole removed a few years ago (derm told her she was very lucky she had it removed when she did b/c it would have turned into cancer soon- omg!!!). Ever since my sister's experience I don't play around with this stuff. I've had 2 moles removed that were fine but you never know.

Glad I did this, I was just worried if the injection would affect baby and BFing but seems like it won't... thanks again ladies! I'll report back in 2 weeks just to let you know my results!

#15 of 18 Old 12-02-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFTB1177 View Post

Thanks so much ladies! My OB, doula, and the dermatologist all said it was perfectly safe so I went ahead and had it done. The derm used a teeny-tiny amount of lidocaine and I didn't feel a thing, it was over in a minute, literally! I have to call in 2 weeks for my results but the derm thinks it is mostly likely totally fine, she just wants to be on the safe side. I'm glad I got it done and over with, hopefully all will come back neg!

jwoodbri, so glad you were ok after your bout with melanoma! You are right- it's nothing to take lightly. My sister (when she was in her mid twenties, didn't tan, no family history of melanoma, etc) had a very precancerous mole removed a few years ago (derm told her she was very lucky she had it removed when she did b/c it would have turned into cancer soon- omg!!!). Ever since my sister's experience I don't play around with this stuff. I've had 2 moles removed that were fine but you never know.

Glad I did this, I was just worried if the injection would affect baby and BFing but seems like it won't... thanks again ladies! I'll report back in 2 weeks just to let you know my results!

That's a good thing you did that. I don't play around, either. I had melanoma by 18. I am very pale, and I've been told all it takes is one bad sunburn. I now avoid the sun like the plague! lol. I got lucky, mine was stage 1, so all they had to do was go back and be more aggressive with removing tissue. I have some nasty scars, but don't care. 

I hope your results come back negative! And I'm also glad you had doctors that knew the right information and didn't put you off. 

#16 of 18 Old 12-08-2010, 07:19 AM

Good to hear!

I really wish I knew about lidocaine before. I was being seen at the navy base and they suck when it comes to dealing with pregnant and breastfeeding women. The only person I trusted was my doctor, but she was always booked.

married 11/06, DD May 2009, DS  April 2011successful, natural 9lbs 6ozvbac.gif

#17 of 18 Old 12-15-2010, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Hey guys, I said I would update! Just found out today that the pathology report came back that the mole was benign!! :) Still very glad I got it off, as you know these moles can still grow and change and could become cancerous in the future.

I wanted to add that I had a slight allergic reaction to the lidocaine, got a minor rash around the site but nothing too bad. Doesn't surprise me as I am allergic to penicillin too!

#18 of 18 Old 12-28-2010, 06:14 PM

Glad it was benign!

Jess ~mom to DS1 8/05, DS2 6/07, DD 7/09 and one surprise 5/11!
Melanoma survivor/patient. Diagnosed 11/09. Wear sunscreen. Check skin. See a derm.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page