Is it safe to eat raw veggies while pregnant? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 12-03-2010, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I LOVE raw veggies but have been avoiding them during this PG after reading info on the net stating there is risk of toxo or listeria by eating raw veggies. But this morning I made a bagel & cream cheese and put slices of (washed) tomato on it and omg it was heavenly!!! I feel like everything I like (sushi, feta/goat cheese, raw fruits and veggies, egg nog lol etc) is off limits and my diet during pregnancy is BORING and tbh, not as healthy as when I'm NOT pregnant!

Anyone here eat raw veggies during PG?

Mommy to beauties DS1 (7), DS2 (4, autism), & DS3 (2)

and many angel babies angel1.gif

#2 of 25 Old 12-03-2010, 07:04 AM

that is ludacris who told you you cant eat raw fruit and veggies?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#3 of 25 Old 12-03-2010, 07:05 AM

Oh my Goodness; I have never heard you can't eat them...I've heard you must wash them well before you eat them but yeah never that you shouldnt'...

#4 of 25 Old 12-03-2010, 07:08 AM

Raw veg is great when you're pregnant. I know that since I failed my glucose test, my midwife really pushed for half my diet to be raw veg. Hope you find the support you're looking for! Take care!

#5 of 25 Old 12-03-2010, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

that is ludacris who told you you cant eat raw fruit and veggies?

I can't remember exactly what sites, but I read on the net that you have to be very careful, and that scared the crap out of me! :(

#6 of 25 Old 12-03-2010, 07:19 AM

99% of the vegetables eaten in this house are raw.  My kids prefer them that way, and I hate to cook, lol.

Of course, it's always important to wash fruits and vegetables well, including those labeled "prewashed".

My personal weakness this pregnancy has been bruchetta.  Lots of raw tomatoes in my belly!

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#7 of 25 Old 12-03-2010, 07:38 AM

I think if you were to eat only one type of food during pregnancy (or ever, really), I'd think raw vegetables would be the best! :)

At-home mom to a teenager, an infant, and three in between!
#8 of 25 Old 12-03-2010, 09:24 AM

not to sound snarky, but don't animals eat raw veggies? Aren't there communities that eat veggies more than cooked meats - how would they have survived and been able to breed? Or would toxo or listeria not be present in those situations? I am just not sure why they wouldn't be safe. I think washing is very important, but I think more because of modern day farming techniques would be harmful then the risk of toxo or listeria.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#9 of 25 Old 12-03-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly View Post

I think if you were to eat only one type of food during pregnancy (or ever, really), I'd think raw vegetables would be the best! :)

Amen!

Liora - wife to Pete, IVF miracle DD babygirl.gif (2.11.09) 11 year Infertility survivor! FET miracle TWIN boys babyboy.gifbabyboy.gifborn 2/28 at 32 weeks and growing strong in the NICU.
#10 of 25 Old 12-03-2010, 11:46 AM

I agree with everyone.  My Dr said to eats lots of fresh fruits and veggies.  Just wash them really well before eating.  I actually crave fresh fruit.  Veggies not so much.  I just wash everything super good and crunch away!!!  YUM!

#11 of 25 Old 12-03-2010, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This is seriously the first time I have ever heard this one! Needless to say, oh no I would never avoid raw veggies during pg. I don't avoid anything actually, but I am not one to go off what medical professional say I should do during pg. shy.gif If your kids are what you ate during your pg then DD2 would be half raw cookie dough and half spinach salad. I never have been able to eat another spinach salad in the last 4 years because I ate so many with her. lol.gif

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#12 of 25 Old 12-03-2010, 02:05 PM

Don't read the interntet that is bad for you!!!!!!

Eat your veggies just be careful like so many other things. as long as you are washing stuff you should be fine. i wouldn't eat raw meats but raw veggies i think would be just fine

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#13 of 25 Old 12-03-2010, 02:09 PM

anyone beside me think this was a holiday helper gag thread?

chicken3.gif    happy homesteading-homebirthing-homeschooling-student midwife-mama to a small handful of little ones and joyful wife to my artist man.

#14 of 25 Old 12-03-2010, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyme Mama View Post

Unfortunately, it's not. I have OCD and am very paranoid, esp when PG (and esp after losing 4 babies). :(

#15 of 25 Old 12-03-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFTB1177 View Post

Quote:

Unfortunately, it's not. I have OCD and am very paranoid, esp when PG (and esp after losing 4 babies). :(

i'm so sorry! about your losses and if i sounded insensitive. i really have never heard/read that before and i thought i had read/heard it all after my 3 losses and midwifery school.

i have heard/read to avoid salad bars and raw veggies when eating away from home, but never to avoid them altogether. in fact, i am a student midwife and we really stress to our clients to eat as much raw greens and veggies as possible to keep iron and calcium levels up.

chicken3.gif    happy homesteading-homebirthing-homeschooling-student midwife-mama to a small handful of little ones and joyful wife to my artist man.

#16 of 25 Old 12-03-2010, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

i'm so sorry! about your losses and if i sounded insensitive. i really have never heard/read that before and i thought i had read/heard it all after my 3 losses and midwifery school.

i have heard/read to avoid salad bars and raw veggies when eating away from home, but never to avoid them altogether. in fact, i am a student midwife and we really stress to our clients to eat as much raw greens and veggies as possible to keep iron and calcium levels up.

Hey it's okay! I wasn't being snarky, hope it didn't come off like that. I honestly am just extremely paranoid. I'm sorry about your losses too! :(

Do most people avoid salad bars, etc when PG? Also, I am afraid to have any fresh veggies from any restaurants at all... do most PG women eat fresh veggies (like on sandwiches, etc) when ordering out? Not that I eat sandwiches either- lol!

#17 of 25 Old 12-03-2010, 05:19 PM

sorry for your loses mamahug2.gif

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#18 of 25 Old 12-03-2010, 05:33 PM

You need to wash veggies very well if you are eating them raw while pregnant. Especially lettuces or other things that are grown very close to the soil. The main concern is toxoplasmosis (caused by T. gondii) which can be found in the soil and easily transfered on to the leaves as they grow. It's not the season, but if you are pregnant during melon season, it is advisable to carefully wash the outsides of melons before cutting into them for this reason also.

Listeria is another possibility because it is able to grow and thrive in cold temperatures unlike other bacteria. It is also present in the soil. But it is very slow growing and usually would have to have been in a damp environment without being cleaned for several months before getting to dangerous levels.
#19 of 25 Old 12-03-2010, 06:02 PM

JFTB1177, you are doing great, hand in there, i know this has been hard time in general for you. i have seen you get thru so much in the last 7 months, I'm really proud of you.

yes it is smart to wash you fruit and vegetables very well, it is smart for everyone to do that. beyond that they are pretty darn safe and sooo good for you.

i personally avoid salad bars of raw food or not hot enough food, cause that just seems silly. but the rest of fine. i also eat sandwiches at good places that i know and trust.

hugs lady, you really are on the home stretch and doing great

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#20 of 25 Old 12-03-2010, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm pretty sure that if you followed EVERY piece of don't-eat-it advice during pregnancy, you'd starve and die. I've heard no raw veggies, no fruit (due to fructose), no dairy, no meat, no processed soy, no rice, not too many carbs, no peanuts... I mean, what's left? Limp boiled Brussels sprouts, three times a day?

I admit I'm fairly lassez-faire about food during pregnancy. I had sushi once - I felt guilty, but I'd JUST seen it being freshly made, and was craving it like you wouldn't believe. I've had Subway without even thinking about the raw veggie issue! The risks are real, but they're *extremely* low. I'd rather focus my dietary energies/guilt on avoiding things that are, as it were, intrinsically bad - MSG and trans fats and nitrates - rather than worrying about things that are good and healthy and nourishing, but which also have a very small risk of illness. You know? I mean, if you can do both, or need to for your peace of mind, more power to ya - but it's ridiculous for anyone to try to guilt trip an expectant mother for eating her veggies.

Max'sMama likes this.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#21 of 25 Old 12-03-2010, 09:16 PM

I do know that there were a few (3?) celery plants in Texas (?) that were shut down due to listeria.  That said, all that is needed is to clean your veggies well before eating.

Aleyna - Mom to 6 yo DS1 wild.gifRascal and DS2 Tiny born 03/24/11
#22 of 25 Old 12-04-2010, 07:38 AM

Please eat your fresh fruits and veggies!!!

If you wash them properly, and unless there is a known food-borne illness going around you have nothing to worry about and lots to gain nutritionally.

There are times when it's wise to avoid fresh fruit and veggies.  I'd never eat salad in a restaurant in dh's country, because getting parasites from that is pretty much a given--they're usually washed in parasite-ridden water.  But that is not a problem in most areas of the Western world.

#23 of 25 Old 12-04-2010, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

OF COURSE it's safe! Yes, there are minimal risks (particularly with store bought non-organic produce) but, honestly, raw veggies are THE BEST for you right now. When you cook them they lose so much of their nutrients, so I would say that your body would benefit SO much more from raw produce that it outweighs the slightest tiniest risk of them being contaminated.

Btw, tomatoes are technically fruit. Just FYI. :) 

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#24 of 25 Old 12-04-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Do most people avoid salad bars, etc when PG? Also, I am afraid to have any fresh veggies from any restaurants at all... do most PG women eat fresh veggies (like on sandwiches, etc) when ordering out? Not that I eat sandwiches either- lol!

I am probably a bit more overly (and likely unnecessarily) cautious than most of the women I've met here, and I do avoid things like cold cuts and sushi, but the only salad-y things I do actively avoid are things like pre-made potato/macaroni salads and such.  I wouldn't think twice about a leaf of lettuce and some sliced tomato on a sandwich, though.

I can definitely relate to worrying about foods and such, though.  After taking over a year to conceive my son and now after two losses since then, I do err on the side of caution, but I try to do a decent amount of research and make informed decisions.

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#25 of 25 Old 12-05-2010, 06:39 AM

Hun, everything has the potential of being harmful. Honestly if you were super worried about it, I would try and find a local source for veggies. The more veggies/fruit have to travel, get treated with pesticides, washes, etc, hands that get crossed over, the more likely it is to have some sort of contamination. Local and organic would be your best option, but I know you have OCD, so please, try not to stress over every little thing you read. There's potential for anything to be contaminated with something. And if you need to get treatment, please do! :) Not trying to make you feel bad, just want you to feel comfortable throughout the rest of your pregnancy!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page