"Bloody show"/mucus plug ? - when did you go into labor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-03-2010, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just looking for some opinions or experiences, I guess...  I'm 35 weeks pregnant as of yesterday.  I'm very certain of my conception & due dates, since we were TTC & I was charting ovulation.

A few days ago (at 34 1/2 weeks) I'm certain I started losing my mucus plug, and it had a good amount of pink in it.  There were 3 globs over the course of a day, all with the pink in them.  Nothing else has been "up there", if you know what I mean, so I can't think of any other reason why there might be blood involved.

I called my MW, and after numerous questions from her she said to take it easy & she'll check me internally at my appointment next week.  This is baby #2 for us.  With DS, I was dilated 4-6 cm for 3 weeks before he was born (41 weeks), and then had a very short labor.  My mom was also very dilated weeks early with both of her pregnancies & had very short labors with both, but we were born around our due dates.

So I guess I'm just wondering if anyone's experienced "bloody show" this early & still birthed around their due date, or should I be expecting to have the baby much sooner?  Too soon & I can't use the birthing center I've been hoping to go to since the baby would be "premature".  I know that losing your mucus plug can happen early, but I've heard that if there's blood in it, that's a sign that labor is closer.  My MW seemed a bit concerned about it, and everything I've seen online says 1-2 weeks at most after bloody show.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 12:04 PM

My doula once told me that with your first, there can be 1-2 weeks between bloody show and birth; with subsequent pregnancies, it could be less than 48 hours.

In my experience I lost my mucous plug with #1 and he was born a week later; I lost my plug with #3 and she was born less than 20 hours later. I never lost it with my other pregnancies. 

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
Old 12-03-2010, 12:35 PM

For numbers 1 and 2, mucous and bloody show were followed by contractions within 3 hours. I lost my plug and had bloody show two days ago now, with #3... I'm 41w + 3 days ... and nothing...irked.gif

My midwife put a postive spin on it yesterday, saying it just means my cervix is doing all this work WITHOUT me having to be in labor. So even though I continue on my cook-em-long streak, maybe I'll be rewarded with a shorter labor this time!

Good luck!

Melissa

Old 12-03-2010, 02:27 PM

I've been losing pieces of my mucus plug for pretty much my whole pregnancy, but no bloody show. Usually about 12-24 hrs after DTD.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

Old 12-03-2010, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

With DD1 it was 32 weeks I think, she came at 38 weeks. DD2 was actually 24 weeks, freaked me out, she came at 38 weeks as well. Nothing with DS, and he was born at 41 weeks. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:55 PM

I don't know about #1 and #2 but with #3 I was in labor a few hours after losing my mucous plug.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

User Tag List