Prenatal vitamins I can actually swallow? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 12-15-2010, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey mamas and mamas to be...

We are trying for baby #3 and I would REALLY like to find some prenatal vitamins that aren't horse pills!

My first 2 pregnancies I purchased the Rainbow Light multis and I really tried to be good about taking them but was lucky if I managed to choke down one a day. I have a hard time swallowing pills at the best of times, let alone when I have morning sickness. I just gave up on vitamins altogether for the past year but now my body is feeling the effects greensad.gif

Can anyone recommend a prenatal that is smaller, or maybe a soft gel or a capsule instead?

Also, has anyone used Carlson brand soft gels? Just picked some up from the store but they were very pricey so if anyone can suggest something cheaper I will return these...

TIA!

Heidi

#2 of 15 Old 12-15-2010, 11:51 AM

Buried Treasure makes a liquid. I looked into it, it might be low on something - iron?, and it's expensive, so it might be something to get you past the first trimester.

Kirkman labs makes one, Perry Prenatal, it's a hypoallergenic brands, so it's not whole foods, but it's a small capsule for 2x a day and it's pretty cheap.

Right now I am taking everything seperately. I take liquid cal/mag/vit D, seperate iron with folic acid, b-12 and c, b-6 pill and then some of my DD no-iron gummy vitamins because she didn't like the taste and I didn't want to waste them.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#3 of 15 Old 12-15-2010, 12:57 PM

It's more labour intensive, but I actually count the values of folic acid, iron, etc. in my food, and increase certain foods as needed to recommended pregnancy intakes. I started doing this because I would throw up instantly after taking a prenatal vitamin.

#4 of 15 Old 12-15-2010, 12:58 PM

There's also chewables prenatals.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#5 of 15 Old 12-15-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imogenlily View Post

It's more labour intensive, but I actually count the values of folic acid, iron, etc. in my food, and increase certain foods as needed to recommended pregnancy intakes. I started doing this because I would throw up instantly after taking a prenatal vitamin.

yeahthat.gif I can't tolerate Rainbow Light, either, but they are the best I can find (and highly recommended by my midwife) as far as what they contain. I have yet to see a chewable prenatal that comes anywhere close to them. Instead, I take all kinds of other stuff every day:

- acidophilus

- gentle iron

- chlorophyll

- fish oil capsules

- calcium magnesium (a recent addition to my daily routine, recommended by my midwife because I have had some issues with borderline blood pressure and edema)

- 1qt per day of my midwife's homemade pregnancy tea, which contains alfalfa, nettles, raspberry leaf, rose hips, etc. She says that 1qt per day is equal to taking a prenatal.

It's a huge pain to sit there every morning with all those pills looming before me, but at least I can swallow them. Rainbow Light is like torture!

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#6 of 15 Old 12-15-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova22 View Post

- 1qt per day of my midwife's homemade pregnancy tea, which contains alfalfa, nettles, raspberry leaf, rose hips, etc. She says that 1qt per day is equal to taking a prenatal.

I do this tea, too!

#7 of 15 Old 12-16-2010, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips everyone! Maybe I will try to take everything separately...

I have never seen chewable prenatals. What company makes them?

I also learned about Concept DHA...

http://www.uspco.com/conceptdha/

They claim to be smaller than other prenatals, but are prescription only (and what is up with those creepy anime-esque illustrations?)

#8 of 15 Old 12-16-2010, 07:11 AM

I take a chewable adult multivitamin.  It has less folic acid and less iron than a prenatal, but is pretty much the same in every other way.  I also drink RRL tea and try to get a good amount of dairy for the calcium.

During my last pregnancy, my husband cut my Rainbow Light vitamins in half and sanded down the rough edges. partners.gif  But I couldn't even deal with that this time.  And I feel like I eat a pretty balanced diet.

#9 of 15 Old 12-16-2010, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayray View Post

During my last pregnancy, my husband cut my Rainbow Light vitamins in half and sanded down the rough edges.  

Wow, now that is love!!

Who makes an adult chewable? I honestly have never seen them...and believe me, I've looked :)

#10 of 15 Old 12-17-2010, 11:15 AM

My Rainbow Light vitamins are capsules, not tablets, so I can open them up and sprinkle them on food or add them to a smoothie. It even suggests that on the label.

Mom to energy.gif(11/08) and  babyboy.gif  (4/11)

#11 of 15 Old 12-17-2010, 02:34 PM

I've found prenatal gummy chewables! I found them at Kroger but I've seen them at Target too. The brand is VitaFusion (I think). It has folic acid and DHA, but it doesn't have iron. I need the iron desperately so I take Flintstones Complete chewables every other day and then the prenatal gummy on the other days.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#12 of 15 Old 12-18-2010, 03:42 PM

I get my adult chewable at Trader Joes.  I know their prenatals are from Rainbow Light.  Maybe the adult chewables are too??

#13 of 15 Old 12-21-2010, 11:08 AM

My OB has told me that over the counter prenats are good enough because they don't contain enough folic acid.  He said I should have 1000 mg (or whatever it's measured in, I can't remember) and my VitaFusion gummis only have 800 or something like that.  Anyone else heard this?

Danielle (29)reading.gif married to my best friend Lou guitar.gif since 9/10/10 stillheart.gif ,mama to Ada Adelleenergy.gif since 8/5/11, and expecting a new addition around 4/19/14 stork-boy.gif
#14 of 15 Old 12-22-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:

During my last pregnancy, my husband cut my Rainbow Light vitamins in half and sanded down the rough edges. partners.gif  But I couldn't even deal with that this time.  And I feel like I eat a pretty balanced diet.

I think the recommendation is 800mcg during pregnancy, unless you have a strong history of neural tube defects, and then it's 1000mcg-4000mcg depending on what your provider recommends.

Bellybar makes a chewable prenatal, but I haven't read the label to know if it's sufficient enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yell View Post

My OB has told me that over the counter prenats are good enough because they don't contain enough folic acid.  He said I should have 1000 mg (or whatever it's measured in, I can't remember) and my VitaFusion gummis only have 800 or something like that.  Anyone else heard this?

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#15 of 15 Old 12-22-2010, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I get my adult chewable at Trader Joes.  I know their prenatals are from Rainbow Light.  Maybe the adult chewables are too??

SIGH! If only they had Trader Joes here in Texas bawling.gif

Thanks SO much for all the helpful info everyone. I checked on the Rainbow Light website (which I probably should have done in the first place). Their Certified Organic prenatals are the ones in capsule form that can be sprinkled on food. I think I will give them a try. They don't contain calcium, which to me is a plus, since calcium inhibits iron absorption I'd rather take my calcium separate from my iron anyway.

In case it is helpful to anyone else...Rainbow Light also makes some tablets called Prenatal Petite which are smaller than the regular prenatal tablets. There are photos of the pills on Amazon showing their size relative to other pills and they do look a lot smaller! So between those and the prenatal chewables other people mentioned, it seems I've got lots of options...hooray! biggrinbounce.gif

Thanks again!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page