drug testing newborns - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-21-2011, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have to say that although I am not anti-pot if it truly helps a pregnant woman nourish her child and well....survive the pregnancy, but inhaling smoke of ANY sort (incense, wood stove, fireplace, cigarette) releases carcinogens such as benzene into your bloodstream. MJ is NOT just THC, it is also an organic burning matter the smoldering byproducts of which enter your lungs and your baby's bloodstream. For example, MJ smoke contains 20 times more ammonia and 3-5 times more hydrogen cyanide, nitric oxide and certain aromatic amines than cig smoke. I don't want to choose sides between pharma and nature, although I always lean towards nature, but I get slightly annoyed when MJ users claim that there are NO negative effects. Now baking it into food.......that's another story. thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChef View Post

tzs,

Im not inferring anything other then we know that there are interactions or even risks with many drugs that women in pregnancy are on but as long as they are made by a pharma company and the "studies" say the benefits outweigh the risks, docs dont say anything.  But bring in study after study on pot in pregnancy to a CPS case worker and I bet they dont give two hoots.

buddamomimg1.pngWriter/Designer/Hip Hippie Russian Mama to Torngtongue.gif (3yo) and Kboc.gif(4mo)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2011, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There are plenty of ways to get it into your system aside from smoking. Vaporizing is about 99% cleaner based on studies conducted, you can eat it (if you can keep food down), topical ointments work on muscle pain, and tinctures made from glycerine or alcohol work great. (Although now isn't a time for alcohol.)

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
Old 08-23-2011, 06:58 PM

I had questions about this as well. But after reading this thread, the majority of those questions were answered. Thanks everyone!

partners.gif I'm engaged to and completely in love with the man of my dreams. We are expecting our first child in December. belly.gif

Old 09-07-2011, 09:38 AM

does anyone know about the policy for women on medicaid in nj? I stopped smoking but it was past 20 wks and im terrfied they will test and take my baby...i didnt know i was pregnant for the longest time...i still fit in my size 3 jeans now and im 6+mths, although the doctor says my size is perfectly fine...

Old 09-07-2011, 08:21 PM

I did not know they did all this!  How horrible.  Guilty until proven innocent I guess.  Sorry I don't know anything about any drugs.  Just hear to voice my irritation. 

Catherine & Baby Vee
Mama to Vinayak {8/2007} & Married to Sridhar {11/2001}
Old 01-22-2012, 04:26 PM

I live in Ky & I am really worried about loosing my kid if MJ comes up during a drug test. I have a birth defect called uterine didelphys that can cause all kinds of complications during pregnancy (not to mention i'm almost 30 & this is my 1st). I started smoking again because my MS was so bad i was loosing weight & dehydrated all the time, i've suffered from MS throughout the whole pregnancy. At every OB appointment after i started again my doc raved over how surprised she was at how much my blood work improved & my blood pressure went down & my baby was starting to gain weight normally. She even took me out of the 'high risk' category.  I quit twice & both times my blood pressure shot up & i stopped gaining weight & the doc became concerned that i may have a miscarriage or pre term labor . When i've stopped smoking in the past i've never had any negative side effects (never been a habitual user); but it seems like all the complications only showed up when i stopped. I was told for 7 years that because of my condition, i would likely never be able to carry a child full term, now i'm 38 weeks & my child is doing exceptionally well. I understand that measures have to be taken to protect children & that there are an unfortunate number of women who do not put their children's interests before their own; but unless there is a clear reason, it's a little insulting that a mother isn't trusted to know what is best for their own child. 

Old 04-02-2012, 06:29 AM

She clearly said she isnt' stopping because it helps her with her naseua!!!

Old 04-02-2012, 12:00 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

In our states, drug testing as well as STD/HIV is mandatory. Positive drug use = automatic removal at birth. Some use is legal in the state but not during pregnancy.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:31 PM

WOW...!!! I mean - seriously: WOW!!! I had absolutely.no.idea! very interesting read. I live in germany and I am quite sure things are a little different over here. I don'T know about hospitals (though I am curious now, will have to find out) but my dd was born at home and I never went to any prenatals. the only ckecks I did were at home with my MW and then all I did was pee on a paper and compare the rainbow with the one on the box LOL. Noone has ever had a chance to take my babies diaper, poke her for blood or anything else. Our first BWV was actually a visit by the doctor who came to our house a couple of days after she was born.

I am just stunned! this is so intrusive and just... big brother at his best I guess.

Franziska , DW to )oi , SAHM to Noah 06/2008, Sophia 08/2010, and Junis 11/2012

Old 10-31-2012, 07:39 AM

OK this is what you have to do. I have done this and know it works. First DO NOT SIGN THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE. If you do not sign they cannot test anything on the baby. If birth certificates were mandatory they would be assigned to you. When you sign a birth certificate you are registering your baby to the state to hold in 'trust' as owner of your baby. You voluntarily give up your baby with your signature.
2. Do not let the hospital have the babies meconium.
3. Know this: thc is found over 7 mos. in the meconium. [/B]No positive test proves ANYTHING to the court because THEY KNOW THIS. So refuse drug test AND do not admit yourself into a drug addicts class. These are the 2 things that they demand you to do but you do not have to do it. They will haul you into court but the court will be dismissed because they have no evidence; and that is because you did not provide it to them. DON"T incriminate yourself, cooperating with CPS is the WORST THING YOU CAN DO FOR YOU OR YOUR CHILD. They are a cancer to this world and to families.
4. You do NOT have to cooperate with CPS. They are under obligation to investigate 'if' there has been any sign of abuse or neglect to the child. You do not have to 'incriminate yourself. Do not allow for an interrogation of any minor children or let them into your home. If they want to see your child to stop them from saying you would not let them see the child. Have them come to your home, have the children stand near a window to let the worker know that the boy/girl is ok.
5. Get the child looked at by its dr. asap. and have it with you at court.
6. Do not be afraid to go to court asap because the sooner they get mad at you and do an 'emergency petition to remove for not cooperating' the sooner this can be over. I told them to get a warrant if they wanted back into my home. DID NOT SIGN A THING, and they were pissed. However my case was dismissed their very first appearance at court.
7. The only thing I did 'wrong' is sign the birth certificate allowing them to have jurisdiction at all.
8. If you are further in the proceedings and you have done everything wrong and they have lied so much they took possession of your kids, it will be harder but contact me. [email protected]
Old 10-31-2012, 07:47 AM

Just do not sign the birth certificate giving them jurisdiction and you will be in charge over your child not any state
Old 10-31-2012, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This resurrected thread is nearly seven months old.

However, I wanted to put in a few replies to the prior poster.

In many (perhaps most) states they can conduct drug testing at any time if your baby shows signs of withdrawal or there are other reasons to suspect drug abuse.  This has nothing to do with you refusing to sign the birth certificate.  In the hospital, there's no one that would look to see if you signed the birth certificate before doing a drug test because those two things are not correlated.  CPS has the responsibility to investigate any concerns related to the well-being of children--all children.  It doesn't matter to them if you signed the birth certificate, if the child is an illegal immigrant, or if the child was born unassisted and never had a birth certificate filled. If it's a child and there's significant worry about that child's well-being, CPS can investigate.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:34 AM

I had horrible morning sickness for the first 6 months of my second pregnancy. I tried all of the prescriptions and nothing worked. I found that sipping mj tea worked the best. 

Old 12-22-2013, 11:06 AM

which states?

Old 12-22-2013, 11:20 AM

I am in the third trimester of my second pregnancy. My first pregnancy was with private insurance and i dont think that i was ever drug tested. This time I have AR medicaid and everyone is telling me that I will be drug tested when I give birth simply because I am a medicaid patient (took 5 months to be approved). I started prenatal care as soon as I found out I was pregnant (3 months). I had such severe morning sickness, my mom (naturalist and a retired MW) told me to get the Rx's for it and it did not work. I have been drinking mj tea and have just obtained my pre pregnancy weight at 36 weeks. The Dr. told me to keep doing what i was doing when I started to gain weight without asking any questions. I have been trying to figure out the laws for AR with the testing, does anyone know?

Old 03-06-2014, 07:32 PM

I was wondering if anybody new how they tested newborns ? I quit smoking at 28 weeks. Am I clear of cps? I live in nv

User Tag List