Insomnia during pregnancy help - melatonin and noise machine not really working - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-18-2010, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wasn't sure where to post this.  Is there something else pregnancy-safe that I can try?  Have been taking 3mg a night of Melatonin for just over 2 weeks now, and have tried using a noise machine for longer.  I have been consistently losing 2-4 hours of sleep each night and getting tired of it!  Yesterday I was awake from 2:30am to 8:30pm.  Extremely hard for me to nap during the day.

I don't think this is pregnancy related so much, as I have always had insomnia problems off/on.  I don't feel I am uncomfortable at night or that baby is waking me up.  DS does bedshare, but I wake up regardless of whether or not he is there (like if he is sleeping with DH for the night).

Thanks!

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2010, 12:42 PM

I have struggled with insomnia this whole pregnancy. I would say try a calcium magnesium supplement at night. I have also used Calms Forte (homeopathic). You can take a Benadryl, too, but I feel like they don't work very consistently for me, so I don't use them. It's so individual. I also use a fan for white noise and wear an eye mask. I put lavender oil drops on it before I go to bed. I'm sorry--it sucks.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:58 PM

Just on the melatonin: small amounts are more effective than large amounts (my dh reported this to me - he read some studies on it).  250 micrograms (1/4 of a gram) should suffice.  Apparently, some company has a patent on this size...  You might want to try cutting down.  Also search this forum for insomnia, there have been some threads with good tips recently.  

Old 12-22-2010, 12:18 PM

I have horrible insomnia. I eat a lot of protein, take cal/mag supplements, drink a lot of water, keep a cool room, no caffeine at all, etc. I need sleep because I get PPD depression and anxiety while pregnant and sleep is what makes it tolerable. On bad nights I take 1/2 unisom.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
Old 12-22-2010, 03:56 PM

I was taking melatonin but didn't find it very helpful.  My midwife suggested trying 5-HTP.  I think it helps somewhat, but I still have insomnia, so not really sure.  Have you tried earplugs and an eye mask?  Sometimes using those can help me fall asleep. 

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
Old 12-22-2010, 04:53 PM

are you supposed to take melatonin or 5HTP while pregnant?  I didn't think they were "safe" for pregnancy.  

I've found that eating a protein/carb snack not long before bed helps a ton with sleep.  It started becoming a problem this last trimester and I stumbled on the solution accidentally when I was trying to deal with heartburn.  Also, trying not to drink too much water right before bed and throughout the night.  

Hope you get some sleep soon!

momma to DS9 ribbonjigsaw.gif, DD5 dust.gif, and the newest edition, DS born Jan 2011 hbac.gif
Old 12-22-2010, 08:15 PM

I just posted a thread about this. I have been suffering as well and can't nap during the day (non napping homeschooled kids at home).

I started taking a cal-mag supplement before bed and downloaded some meditations that actually got me a bit more sleep last night. And today I had acupuncture done which is supposed to help. I may start taking B vitamin supplements if I need to as well.

The acupuncture is supposed to work really well. I'll post an update here tomorrow :)

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!

User Tag List