Considering quick u/s just to look at heart - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 32 Old 12-28-2010, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivated Mama View Post

This would be an argument against ultrasound, right? I neither agree nor disagree with prenatal ultrasound and think it's up to the mother. My daughter had CoA and it was not diagnosed until she was 9 months and had suffered because of this. Like I mentioned previously, I had an ultrasound with her (2 actually, to re-check her kidneys since my son had a multicystic dysplastic kidney) and they found nothing worrisome, but with a coarctation, sometimes it isn't visible until after the ductus arteriosis closes (about 2 weeks). By the time of her surgery, her femoral pulses were absent and multiple collateral arteries had formed creating a murmer that was unheard over her screaming protests.OP, the fact is, most babies are healthy. You have to weigh the risks and benefits for yourself. Is the risk of ultrasound worth it when 1/150 children have a heart defect and 80-90% of those are undetected before birth? Perhaps, if it affects where you will deliver and perhaps, if you think your unborn baby may have an increased risk. For me, I tend to follow my intuition.

Yes - I wish I hadn't known ahead of time.  Like I said - they caught her defect in utero.  But it ruined my pregnancy with her - knowing about it and worrying.  I understand that other people think it would help to know.  In general, though, I am a less is more kind of person.  I figure most stuff can be handled after the baby is born. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 32 Old 12-28-2010, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
vbactivist - I totally get you. Similarly, I wouldn't test for Down Syndrome.
vbactivist likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plus DH
& DD1(8)
& DS(6)
& DD2(5)
& DD3(2)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page