Cold sores and pregnancy - natural remedies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-23-2010, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

OY!!!

I have been getting cold sore after cold sore for the last 2 months.  The problem is that I do not get them on my lips - I get them on my FACE!!  On my cheeks, chin and near my mouth, just not on it.  I have been getting them since childhood and have had them cultured several times so I know it is herpes simplex A.  They are PAINFUL and ugly!!!  When not preggers, I take Valtrex and that greatly helps with shortening the length of infection and recurrence.

Alas, I do not want to take the Valtrex now with the pregnancy.  I have been taking lysine regularly.  Anyone have any other ideas?  Not sure what else to do.  Thanks!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#2 of 12 Old 12-23-2010, 03:28 PM

Lavender oil, neat, applied three times a day. Steam the sores gently with a hot washcloth in the shower and while you shouldn't try to pop them, sometimes you can gently "coax" them into popping.

~Rose

#3 of 12 Old 12-23-2010, 03:43 PM

I put rubbing alcohol on them to dry them out and they go away really fast.  Sounds harsh, but just a drop on a q-tip does the trick.

Also, if you're getting a lot it usually means your system can't keep up/sick.  Lots of rest, nourishing food and some sunshine can help too :)

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
#4 of 12 Old 12-23-2010, 04:52 PM

My midwives said that lemon balm powder applied to a herpes sore will help it heal. I opted to continue using Valtrex, personally. I hope you find something that helps!

#5 of 12 Old 12-23-2010, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

I am hoping that my immune system will bounce back as soon as I can start eating and exercising again.  This first trimester really hit me hard - the nausea has been so overwhelming and I have not been able to practice good health in any way.  In the last couple of days, I have noticed an increase in my appetite and a decrease in the nausea so hopefully things will be getting back to normal soon!!!

I will try the lavander and lemon balm.  If I get another one after this outbreak, I think I will consider taking the Valtrex again.  This is my 5th one in 2 months and I can't live with them anymore!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#6 of 12 Old 12-23-2010, 06:43 PM

If I take l-lysine everyday, they stay away.  When I slack on that, they always come back. So, when they do, I take a loading dose of 3 l-lysine capsules and then, one a day after that.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#7 of 12 Old 12-23-2010, 08:53 PM

I get outbreaks on my chin too, and I use tea tree oil, applied as soon as I feel the "tingle" of an eminent outbreak. Usually keeps the sore from developing at all. I started using straight tea tree oil, but for convenience I use the Desert Essence "blemish stick," its a little glass bottle with a "roll-on" applicator, and also has lavender oil, which I assumed wouldn't do any harm, but from the PP looks like it might actually be beneficial as well.

#8 of 12 Old 12-24-2010, 06:49 AM

I love using lavender oil on my cold sores. It works as well as Valtrex or Abreva for me!

~Rose

#9 of 12 Old 12-29-2010, 07:54 AM

Hi - Just chiming in here because I am in my first trimester and have already gotten a cold sore at the corner of my mouth (seems that's where I always get them!).  I usually use abreva and it gets rid of them before they really show, is abreva not safe during pregnancy?  If it's not, I may have to start using lavender oil.  I also second the votes for l-lysine.  I don't take it all the time, but if I feel a cold sore coming on, it really seems to help!

#10 of 12 Old 12-29-2010, 08:59 AM

No, it's safe. I just hate how expensive it is and it burns my lips. Lavender oil is much cheaper and works just as well for some people, so give it a shot!

~Rose

#11 of 12 Old 06-05-2012, 08:21 PM

Lavender is a uterine stimulant and should NEVER be used during pregnancy. It can give contractions early on causing a miscarriage or later in pregnancy causing an early delivery. ( I joined this site just to respond to this. So many think lavender is safe but not during pregnancy.)

#12 of 12 Old 06-20-2012, 12:42 PM

A dab of natural toothpaste (paste, not gel!) over the sore once or twice when it's breaking out works for most people I know.  GL!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page