did your water break first? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 12-28-2010, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You know...the cliche labor scene depicted in movies/TV, where the first sign of labor is the gush, and then all hell breaks loose?

Well, my water broke at 2am and it's been slowly leaking ever since (mainly b/c I've been sleeping and wasn't upright). I was Googling this in bed while trying to force myself to sleep (really hard when your adrenaline is pumping!) and it seems only 1 out of 10 women have their water break first.

Contractions haven't gotten going. There's the occasional uterine tightening...but nothing steady and not at all painful. I guess basically just BH. Now that I'm upright, I'm hoping they become productive.

Anyway, I've read enough birth stories where it seems that women who are in active labor with their bag intact have really intense/painful contractions after the water breaks. So I'm wondering what my contractions are going to feel like from the start! What have you 1 out of 10 ladies experienced? Also, would it make labor relatively shorter? (*fingers crossed*)

Our Tiger Cub arrived 12/29/10
#2 of 28 Old 12-28-2010, 09:38 AM

With dd1 my water broke before labor started. I woke up in the middle of the night feeling constipated and on the way to the bathroom it broke. Contractions started pretty much right away. Within 30 minutes they were taking my breath away. Labor from water breaking to giving birth was 7.5 hours. But from woman to woman labor will vary widely- even under seemingly similar circumstances! Your body knows what to do! It's programmed to get the baby out. Good luck!

Melanie
#3 of 28 Old 12-28-2010, 09:40 AM

i had AROM with my first but my wter broke spontaneously with my second. The crazy contraction did NOT start right away. i went into labour shortly after but just kept moving around though... I have fast births my second was 5 hours from my water breaking to having my baby in arms.

Get up move around and relax. When you are stressed it is much harder for  your body to work the way it needs to. all the best mamam

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#4 of 28 Old 12-28-2010, 09:40 AM

My water broke and that was the first sign I was in labor. I wasn't even sure if it was really the water breaking (first time freak out, not because I wasn't sure if I peed or something) and didn't call my midwife for a few hours. I had no contractions for a while, I think my water broke around 8 or 9pm, contractions started around maybe 1am and I was pushing by 6am. I didn't find the pain horrific by any means, I had a great homebirth, but I don't have a comparison as far as contractions with water intact and without....

I would say go out for a walk and see if you can get things going, but I see you are in Brooklyn and probably can expect to be trudging through the snow not easily walking along. smile.gif

raising my two sunshine children.

#5 of 28 Old 12-28-2010, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanx, ladies! I know not every labor will unfold the same, even with the same circumstances. But I'm just curious what this "rare" situation would normally entail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by la mamita View Post

I would say go out for a walk and see if you can get things going, but I see you are in Brooklyn and probably can expect to be trudging through the snow not easily walking along. smile.gif

I haven't been outside since the blizzard hit! Our sidewalk had 3' of snow until it got shoveled this morning. Fortunately, for Xmas my MIL sent us these traction things you put on the soles of your shoes so you don't fall on snowy/icy sidewalks.

#6 of 28 Old 12-28-2010, 11:56 AM

When my water broke with my first I did not start labor..  We waited about 16 hours and then did a pit. induction (which for a hospital midwife birth was not too bad- but wish I had waited a bit more).

The good news is that even though I was pretty much barely 1cm dialated when I started pit It was less then 8 hours until she was born!  So it can go fast... or not... who knows!

I wish you a good birth!

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#7 of 28 Old 12-28-2010, 12:12 PM

With both of my DDs I was in labor for 12 hours (DD1) and 8 hours (DD2) before my water broke.  Once that happened though they were both born within an hour.

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#8 of 28 Old 12-28-2010, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Well, went into Manhattan to get the co-sleeper and walked around a bit. Nothing. Took some castor oil and will be trying hoku and nipple stim soon. Hopefully, that combo will get things moving!

Now the challenge is finding a way to get to the birthing center when it's time! Our beater car is blocked in by snow and might not make the 6 mile snowy trip...

#9 of 28 Old 12-28-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the janet View Post

Well, went into Manhattan to get the co-sleeper and walked around a bit. Nothing. Took some castor oil and will be trying hoku and nipple stim soon. Hopefully, that combo will get things moving!

Now the challenge is finding a way to get to the birthing center when it's time! Our beater car is blocked in by snow and might not make the 6 mile snowy trip...

Just stay home :) Wouldn't wanna UC in a car in a blizzard. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#10 of 28 Old 12-28-2010, 04:19 PM

I was in labor for a total of 12 hours, and my water did not break first. The first sign I had was.... OW!

Mama to a 3 year old awesome kid, Rowan (aka Mister Boopy) and TTC another at 43!

fambedsingle1.gif gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif vbac.gif goorganic.jpg

Herbalist, Acupuncture student, Mama, Blogger!

#11 of 28 Old 12-28-2010, 04:26 PM

My water broke on its own with my first. It broke shortly after 1pm. Hard contractions didn't start until around 5:30 and I had my son at 10:22. So, about 5 hours hard labor. It was intense!

With my second, I had my waters broken around 3:30 and had my son around 6:30. Contractions started coming hard maybe an hour after my water was broken... so 2 1/2 hours of hard labor! Now THAT was intense. lol

Good luck to you!!!

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#12 of 28 Old 12-28-2010, 06:42 PM

I had SROM before labor with both my kids. Crazy amount of fluid in there! Both labors were intense and short (5 hours or so) but i've nothing to compare it to. Hope this evening finds you in labor! With the first, it took about 36 hours for things to start. With the second it was only an hour or so later that things got going.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#13 of 28 Old 12-28-2010, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

So...weird.

I just felt another pop, like the one at 2am when my water first broke. I've been leaking all day so I can't imagine why there would be another break!

Castor oil finally kicked in and contractions have been more regular. Hopefully, I'll be active in the next few hours or else I have to go to the hospital for cervadil in the morning. greensad.gif

#14 of 28 Old 12-28-2010, 10:40 PM

Hopefully you are either holding a little one or in the middle of labor now!

My first I had AROM when I was 10 CMs dialated. She was born after 1 1/2 hours of pushing.

Second my water broke and she was born 5 minutes later. Funny, my water breaking actually was the last contraction I FELT. I don't remember another one, I didn't even feel the "ring of fire' most ladies experience. I went from "wow this is intense" to "umm the baby is coming now"

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#15 of 28 Old 12-28-2010, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

I'm definitely in full blown labor now! No denying it! These ain't no Braxton Hicks, my friends!

That second pop, whatever it was, must've brought the kid's head down. In conjunction w/the castor oil getting things moving, I've been having contractions from 3-5 minutes for at least an hour. Not quite 1 min apart but close.

Guess we're gonna have a baby on 12/30!

dayiscoming2006 likes this.

#16 of 28 Old 12-29-2010, 12:41 AM

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#17 of 28 Old 12-29-2010, 04:49 AM

I hope all is going well for you!

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#18 of 28 Old 12-29-2010, 05:36 AM

Good luck!

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#19 of 28 Old 12-29-2010, 07:15 AM

Good luck! My water broke with dd at around 2am. I had very very mild contractions all night that werent productive. Eventually I did the Pit. They told me not to walk with dd because she was very very high and there was a danger of prolapse.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#20 of 28 Old 12-29-2010, 07:23 AM

Unfortunately that happend to me and i don't wish it on anyone becuase i did NOT go into labor after my water broke so that led to inductions and interventions and a long labor resulting in exhaustion and and epidural that led to 4 hour pushing, etc..

I PRAY that my water does NOT break this time until i'm already IN labor!!!!

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#21 of 28 Old 12-29-2010, 07:28 AM

How exciting for you! 

My water broke about 20 mins before I needed to push!  It actually scared me. 

'09   
#22 of 28 Old 12-29-2010, 08:15 AM

Good luck!  I had a similar experience to HollytheTeacher....water breaking, and nothing.  Walked for miles (like 11miles), nipple stim, pressure points, and nothing.  Pit the next day with little progression (I was 4cm in the weeks leading up to due date, but only got to ~7.5 after 16 hours on pit), epi, but pushed her out without further interventions.  Water breaking to delivery was ~42 hours.  Like Holly, I'm so hoping for a completely different scenario (labor first, water breaking, then baby!)!

Can't wait to hear the update on your delivery.

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#23 of 28 Old 12-29-2010, 08:31 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yep, with both. Don't panic. Labor may not start for awhile. I usually have a 12 hour wait. I do have intense, shorter labors but am always posterior too. Keep very clean, and know that it is coming but that you might hVe a wait. And I wouldn't bother trying to start things. Take a nap or see a movie.
#24 of 28 Old 12-29-2010, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My water broke before labor with my first. I was GBS+ which meant I had to go in to the hospital and get abx. Ended on pit since my labor wasn't active enough even though I was having pretty regular contractions at that point. I had my son about 24 hours after my water broke.

This time around I am planning a homebirth and am thrilled to be GBS-. So we will see if my water breaks first this time around and how that works out. With 10% of women having their water break first, my midwife called it a variation of normal.

Hope you have/had an easy, uncomplicated birth.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#25 of 28 Old 12-29-2010, 01:36 PM

With my first which were twins, my water broke first and contractions started about 4 hours later. I never progressed after about 12 hours, and they did a c-section - that was back before pitocin was popular. Same thing happened with my 3 yo ds, water broke, contractions started about 3-4 hours later very mild, and after 12 hours or so of regular contractions no dilation and we ended up choosing a second c-section over having pitocin induction. Doc said his nuchal x3 had something to do with not dropping down (??) Cervix just not ready - he was born 10 days early. I can't wait to read your update! Hope you have a beautiful birth.

Christ Lovin' SAHM to JL 11/07, MP 5/95 and Empty Nester to BT and RM 7/89
#26 of 28 Old 12-29-2010, 07:48 PM

My water broke when DS's head emerged, yep- born in the caul. It was a water birth. 

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#27 of 28 Old 01-02-2011, 11:03 PM

My water broke in the delivery room when the doctor broke it for me. Nothing like I'd expected it to be.

#28 of 28 Old 01-03-2011, 05:35 AM

I hope you had a smooth labor, OP, and are enjoying that baby of yours.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page